Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MAESTRO ENGINE FOR RWD CONVERSION
JONBEE

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
MAESTRO ENGINE FOR RWD CONVERSION

Has anyone any useful info on converting a maestro 1300 engine to RWD. hopefully going in a Morris Minor .I want to do it locost! possibly via a ford type9 box. i am under the impression the crank requires machining, a different clutch, starter ring. bell housing etc etc. Anyone know exactly what work is needed? i would prefer searching around breakers for the bolt on solution, instead of paying for lots of maching/new bespoke parts. I looked at the k-series / Zetec idea but too expensive. I heard JLH did a conversion years ago, but no longer do it.. hope someone can help.. ta

[Edited on 27/8/08 by JONBEE]

blakep82

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall 2litre / zetec and type 9 or duratec and mazda gearbox?

vauxhall XE/XEV to type 9 bellhousings are plentiful as it s a popular conversion for old fords
zetec and type 9 has been done loads here, and there was talk on here yesterday about duratec and mazda bolting right together.

have a look at just about every build on here and you'll find the info you need. bearing in mind that near every car on here is front engine rwd

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rusty nuts

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
A series MG Midget box will be a straight fit to the block , not sure what flywheel /clutch but suspect if the Midget flywheel fits then that would be the one to use. MG prop( front end to fit the box) extended to fit whatever axle you use. Check out some of the Morris Minor conversions, some of them used Maestro lumps??

[Edited on 27/8/08 by rusty nuts]

blakep82

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
oh, and hello

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
seem to recall from distant memory that you do need the crank modifying. Probably something to do with a spigot bearing but can't remember.

Curious why you want to do this - the easiest option would be to go 'ford' and use all their bits. You know everything from a 'zetec' backwards will fit together (unless you really want something pre-crossflow).

What do you plan to do for the rear axle? Old BL / Leyland / Austin stuff can't take much power.

nick205

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - can we clarify this!

Are you looking to convert a Maestro to RWD or use the engine from a Maestro in a RWD configuration?

If the former, what are you planning

If the latter, what are you planning

And, also, welcome to the forum

JONBEE

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
MAESTRO ENGINE RWD CONVERSION

I have a morris minor which is going thru a rebuild, and i'm thinking of using a maestro engine. maybe type9 g/box, marina/fiat/ford axle, instead of its current 948cc engine. yes i know i could go marina/midget/sprite/ital, but variety is the spice of life.
i'm not interested in expensive conversions, with ecu's/engine mapping/expensive carbs/throttle bodies etc, just plain and simple is what i like.
as its the locost site, i'm hoping its low cost. otherwise it stays standardish.
Thankyou all for the quick replies and the welcome.

[Edited on 27/8/08 by JONBEE]

stevebubs

posted on 27/8/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd choose something from the Ford stable.

For ultimate low cost, it's crossflow or CVH...but zetec can be done cheaply - there is at least one out there running on a DGV carb...

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/8/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking you want a simple single carb no-nonsense bog basic engine just like it had originally but with a bit more poke, something you can pick up for peanuts.
I dont think you're far wrong with your plan on that score, the A series with a single S.U. is easy to fit, simple to work on & as cheap as anything else.
Although it's a front wheel drive car the Maestro A series is really more like a RWD type A series like the Marina used as opposed to a proper transverse A series which has a taper tail crank & the gearbox in the sump.
They use a VW Golf gearbox which (assuming it's the Golf type clutch) has a back to front clutch set-up so you will need a flywheel & clutch set-up from a proper RWD A series. It would make sense to use the gearbox to match from a Marina or Ital unless you're set on a 5 speed. I dont know if bolt patterns, spigot bearings etc will all match up but it's a fair bet it'll be a bolt together job once you get all the right bits.
I know a lad who is British Leyland daft, he will almost certainly know what fits what etc & may even have the bits.

coozer

posted on 27/8/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I turned a Maestro 2L O series to RWD using everything out of a Sherpa van.

A lot newer than a A series. Any good for you??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 28/8/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
First of all I assume you have a Minor 1000 with the 948cc or 1098cc engine --- not a side valve

The 1275 engine differed from the earlier A series in a number of respects but wasn't that different.

Only 2 RWD 1275 A series installs were the Marina/Ital and the MG Midget 1275.
Both of these used the Triumph Toledo gearbox.

BMC engines accomodated different gearboxes by using different back plates on the engine The back plate from the the 948/1098cc engine in the Minor 1000 might well fit the 1275 engines perhaps with minor mods like wise the clutch and flywheel might swap over but both the Minors tiny clutch and the A series gearbox are unlikely to last long --- Morris Minor gearboxes are basically crap. The Marina/Triumph box isn't a great gearbox but is 10 times better.

The crank might already have a recess for a spigot bearing to be fitted into.

You can of course make a new back plate up for the engine and fit a Ford Type 9 gearbox but a new propshaft is required and a bit of fiddling to get the clutch pedal connected to the clutch.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 28/8/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident[/

Only 2 RWD 1275 A series installs were the Marina/Ital and the MG Midget 1275.
Both of these used the Triumph Toledo gearbox.

I'm sure that the Triumph gearbox was never fitted to the 1275 Midget, that used a stronger version of the Morris Minor box. It was fitted to the 1500 Midget and as you say the Marina / Ital . BMC/BLMC /Austin Rover whatever you want to call them never really made a decent box when compared to Ford

coozer

posted on 28/8/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
2.0L Meastro/Montego efi/turbo engine to RWD is dead easy!

The petrol Sherpa van uses an O series engine and SD1 Lt77 box. The 2.0L EFi engines are based on an O series and have adapter plates on the back for different bell housings. The van adapter plate bolts straight on. The only thing you need extra is a spigot bearing from a van & truck spares place.
Its a straight forward nut and bolt job, I got a van with dead big ends for £50 and sold the tyres for £40 and these days a fair amount for scrapping the rest. Mind you that was in 1997 so finding a 2.0L petrol Sherpa may be a problem, but not as hard as you might think.

After the Maestro EFI jobbie I dropped a Montego turbo engine in and boy was that fast!

And. as it goes I still have a Sherpa van back plate that actually fits my T series T16 engine, although the starter would be where the turbo is!

Hope that helps,
Steve

[Edited on 28/8/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JONBEE

posted on 30/8/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve for the info.
i've not heard of an 'O' series going in a moggie, but never say never.
My preference is 1275 a+ at the moment but may stick to the 948cc if costs are rising.
hang on... wheres me lottery tricket!

JONBEE

posted on 30/8/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve for the info.
i've not heard of an 'O' series going in a moggie, but never say never.
My preference is 1275 a+ at the moment but may stick to the 948cc if costs are rising.
hang on... wheres me lottery tricket!

JONBEE

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
MAESTRO ENGINE FOR RWD CONVERSION

Its looking like i maybe out of luck with anyone knowing what to do for a 1300 maestro engine for a conversion to rwd.

[Edited on 6/9/08 by JONBEE]

JONBEE

posted on 3/7/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
MAESTRO engine for RWD conversion

found it ages ago but forgot to update .
Southam Mini and Metro Centre do the conversion.
UNIT 1 BAIRD PARK
BRICKYARD ROAD
NAPTON ON HILL
WARWICKSHIRE
CV47 8NT

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.