Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe tools?
coozer

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe tools?

I have an 11" L5 harrison lathe that came without any tools.

I'm having trouble finding the right size to get teh centre height correct, any advise please??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

r1_pete

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
The tools rarely mount at the correct centre, I have a pile of different thinkness bits of steel which I use as shims under the tools to set the heights.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
As above...

There is always a lot of space in the tool clamp so that as the tool wears down there is scope to put packing in to ensure that the tip is always just in the right place....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mr henderson

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Let us know when you are ready to accept turning jobs, and maybe you should think about getting a milling machine as well.

John

coozer

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oooo, would love a milling machine as well

Problem I have is the indexable tools I have are too high and I cant get the tip down...

I think this is what I need although they cost a FORTUNE!

Tool Post
Tool Post

[Edited on 1/9/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have my old EITB apprentice training manuals in the loft if you want to copy them. Probs have good guides on grinding and setting lathe tools. Easier to use replaceable tip ones though.

tegwin

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Easier to use replaceable tip ones?.....Nagh!

Once you know how to grind a tool and set it properly its far easier to use a proper tool.....much more control IMHO....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DarrenW

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Steve - they look like the tool posts i used to use. What do you have on yours? Id be surprised if it doesnt allow some adjustment.

DarrenW

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
If its like shown on this link i can see your problem.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page6.html

Looks like the bottom rest is fixed height.

You may need to measure the distance from the tool rest position to centre height then search for available tool steel. Somebody like tallentire tooling should be able to assist. I seem to recall there was a second hand tool dealer in Jarrow too (Aztec ind estate?? cant remember exact name now - not far from the tunnel).

Does your MED or maintenance lads not have a lathe they use? Just wondering if you can borrow something to suss out what you need.

r1_pete

posted on 1/9/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance you can post a pic of your tool post arrangement Steve?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 1/9/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Standard non-adjustable toolpost require packing to set the tool height. This is pretty much standard on all old lathes. If you have a 4 way tool post it's not so bad as you can set up a few of the commonly used tools and rarely have to touch them (apart from sharpening).

Adjustable tool posts are great, but I can you from first hand experience that the cheapo chinese one in Coozers pic is of pretty shoddy quality. All the female threads for the hight adjusters are oversized in mine making them very sloppy, and the cam mechanism goes over-center in one of the tool positions when tightned.

That's a decent sized lathe though, wish I had room for something that size.

[Edited on 1/9/08 by MikeRJ]

coozer

posted on 1/9/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, tool post is fixed and i have some rather expensive indexable tools from an 'old' project here

We have a colchester here with a quick release post but no spares, only tips for indexable tools (cough)

Looks like this... Rescued attachment img23.gif
Rescued attachment img23.gif

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

llionellis

posted on 1/9/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi coozer
I had the same problem, My toolpost was square though so I was able to mount it in a 4 jaw chuck and take a bit from the bottom to allow the tool to sit lower. If you had access to a miller than you could increase the with of the slot that the tool fits in.

hillbillyracer

posted on 1/9/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a big old Mitchell lathe, the tool post is fixed on it too but I've only got a parting off tool so far that would'nt fit due to being too high. I just shaved 6mm off the bottom of the tool with the grinder!
All the rest need packing as others have said.
I like the idea of taking a bit off the bottom of the tool post if you have a lot of tools that are just too high. Ironicly you need the lathe to do it if you hav'nt got a miller & where are you gonna mount the tool for the job?!

les g

posted on 1/9/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve
see if you can find a lathe tool boat and tools to suit
its a bit old fashioned but works really well and makes setting ever so simple
cheers les g
perhaps try someone likeRDG tools

[Edited on 1/9/08 by les g]

ashg

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
you need a quick change tool post i will have a look and see if i can find a number of a man for you. they are around £25 for one that will do the job.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

owelly

posted on 4/9/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
And for a quick way to centre your tool tip.............

just gently nip the end of a steel rule between the tip of the tool and the outside of the chuck. When the ruler is vertical, the tool is on centre.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Jason Fletcher

posted on 4/9/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
unless you are some tool room trained geezer on a lathe then do yourself a favor and get a Dickson type Q/R tool holder set.

I have a "real" dickson Q/R tool post and a chinese copy and I have to say there is nothing to choose between the two.

Chronos are normaly the cheapest although the guys at RDG tools are dearer but bloody nice chaps.

As far as tools go, you can't go wrong with Glanze indexable tools. They do some very nice round tip tools that are great for all sorts of work, they do a fab parting tool which is again indexable and some normal facing and cutting tools.

I hate grinding tools, you really need a green wheel and they send ebrasive dust flying round the workshop and anyway, it's so 1960's!. Go indexable and avoid the dust!

jason

[Edited on 4/9/08 by Jason Fletcher]

posted on 4/9/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Method 1.

Put the tool holder in the 4 jaw and turn some metal off the base.

Method 2.

Put a milling tool (or home made fly cutter) in the 3 jaw and mount the tool holder on the tool post and mill some metal off.

I have used both methods and take mine down so that they mount 2mm below centre.
I then use 2 bits of metal banding strap as a packer as it's 1mm thick.

HTH
Paul G

NS Dev

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
exact ditto of 907's post above

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.