Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay engines
Koss

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay engines

You just cant trust anyone these days.
I purchased a reasonably cheap hayabusa engine on ebay. It had no throttle bodies, the stator/flywheel and cover was missing. Supposedly sold in another auction. I was not bothered about the missing parts as the engine is a donor for a turbo project. I started stripping the engine and was horrified when these bits fell out.

After looking at the debris closer I noticed they had black paint on them. I was relived as the busa does not have black painted internal engine castings so these bits had been thrown in from outside. You guessed it . It was the remains of the stator cover ending up in the gearbox and crankcase.
Imagine if I ran it, It would of self destructed in less than five minutes. I decided to have a closer inspection.

Everything else looks fine.

speedyxjs

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, that was lucky!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
That sure is a closer inspection!!! Nasty..... What is the response of the person who sold it to you?
paublo999

posted on 2/9/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
respect to you sir.... nice strip down...

make sure you give the guy some negative feedback......

Phil.J

posted on 2/9/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
There was a Hayabusa sold on Ebay a few weeks ago with the very bits you mentioned missing. The seller was honest and said it had been in an accident and the stator and cover etc was smashed, and you were buying it at your own risk. It sold for about £650.
I wander if the buyer then sold it on again without mentioning the accident, hoping to make a profit.

Koss

posted on 2/9/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
To late for feedback, I already left good for fast delivery. This post is just a warning to anyone buying engines. At least take the sump off and give every thing a god flush out. One of the fragments was jammed between the balance shaft and the crank, it would have busted the casings. He said he heard it running, I am pleased he was telling fibs.
Koss

posted on 2/9/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
There was a Hayabusa sold on Ebay a few weeks ago with the very bits you mentioned missing. The seller was honest and said it had been in an accident and the stator and cover etc was smashed, and you were buying it at your own risk. It sold for about £650.
I wander if the buyer then sold it on again without mentioning the accident, hoping to make a profit.

This engine was bought from an ebay shop with good feedback.

r1_pete

posted on 2/9/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
But did the seller you bought from buy the bike Phil.J is referring to? you can sometimes trace these things through their feedback if its in the last 3 months.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 2/9/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for giving engines from ebay a once over before fitting them in your car.

I once bought an engine from a grass track racer off ebay. Dropped the sump off to find loads of grass in there! Changed the oil / filter and sump and ran it in the car for a few months.

Then it span no 3 main bearing up! Stripped the engine down and found a 1" long bit of cable tie in the oil way to no 3 bearing. Still no idea how it got in there! Gutted.

Mind you the next ebay engine was £250 and has "runs OK" written on it in white marker. That counts as a written guarantee right ?

Mike

BenB

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koss
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J

This engine was bought from an ebay shop with good feedback.

So why not take it up with Ebay? Say it was "not as described"...

paublo999

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
paypal? I agree follow it up...
Jason Fletcher

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
its not too late to add to your feedback and although you can't change from pos to neg, people always read that part of the feedback follow-up. Worth doing in this case.

Jason

Koss

posted on 2/9/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
On previous builds I have just bought the full bike.
When you sell all the other bits off the bike, then the engine can stand you nowt. Then you know that you have a good engine from a ride able bike.

sickbag

posted on 3/9/08 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can you tell us who the seller was, so we can avoid him in future?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.