Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do we not welcome new members anymore?
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Do we not welcome new members anymore?

I havn't been on here much at all recently but i couldn't believe the welcome this guy got. Linky . Is this the way this forum has gone since i have been away? Is it just me that is p***** off with this kind of treatment?

tegwin

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I agree...a bit heavy handed...

But come on.....Your first post on a forum...

Surley you could manage more than a one line badly written statement??!??!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeR

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah we welcome people. There is just an expectation that i'm as guilty of as anyone (i have to say that, i posted in the thread). I find it hard enough reading peoples questions, if proper english is written then it makes it a lot easier.

I appreciate there are a number of foreign members, many of whom write english far better than myself. Some don't, they still take the time to try and write 'good' english and apologise for any mistakes. I give them the same courtesy of trying to read their questions and answer them.

I find writing in txt speak, with no attempt at sentances frustrating on a forum like this. Hence the response - yet I've still tried to offer help.

owelly

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
If this guy has just learnt to read and write, who the hell taught him to write using "txt speak"? Is this on the curriculum?

My spooling is ferry puwer bt eye du tri 2 make en hefart.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 10/9/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble here as with any forum is we arent face to face so you dont know if someone is saying (writing something) with any intonation of a smile or is deadly serious is being a smartarse or knows his onions.

But good manners are good manners and to wade in on your first few posts without them is bound to hack folk off.
My two pence worth anyroad.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Alan B

posted on 10/9/08 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
I make no apologies for my contributions on the thread.

My message still stands....if you make the best effort you can to ask your question in real English then you will get a better response.

I simply refuse to try and translate textspeak.....why should I?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simoto

posted on 11/9/08 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
better not reply at all than chuck silly attitude about, new people dont understand the unwritten rules you guys have going here. Witness the treatment i recieved at the less than gentle hands of some twot called scooty or summat. Accused of spamming after trying to join in the friday sing a long or some such. This kind of nasty elitist bullying to score a few credibility points with the other post counters is deplorable. Its just a shame we never get hold of idiots like this in real life cos years of racing at olivers mount and the tt have left me with a fair pair of balls and a thousand yard stare to die for. Never said owt at the time but was made to feel very unwelcome despite having passable grammar. This on the day i contributed my hard earned and shortly after being helpful myself to some long standing members with bike carb setup prob's.
Nasty elitist bullies sums it up nicely i think, (he aint alone). They just type endless rubbish to gain a post count but actually contribute sod all to the resource. Give me a bad speller over this type of puss anytime. At least the rest of us might learn something from the replies they get from genuinely skilled and helpful members that we were scared to ask because of just this type of attitude to anyone with a lower post number or the wrong car/engine type.
I'll prob get bounced now but it wanted saying, if so i will have recieved pretty bad value for my contribution having not asked a single question of my own. Should ban these useless loiterers instead as they are scaring genuine types away With this type of "your new and i'm not" rubbish.
Feel much better now but not as good as i would feel were i to get my hand's round the neck of the childish clique bastard. Thank you and good night.
Ps. Can i have my tenner back if i get banned please.:-)..

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

skydivepaul

posted on 11/9/08 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
years of racing at olivers mount and the tt have left me with a fair pair of balls and a thousand yard stare to die for.

If you have raced at Ollies mount on a bike I can vouch that you certainly have a pair of steel balls................

what was the question

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

RK

posted on 11/9/08 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
Oi! Wot 'e sed!
JamJah

posted on 11/9/08 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
if someone posted in Mongolian would anyone be bothered to work out what the hell the poster was on about? No.

So why should we translate that. Admittedly I initally just passed over after reading the first post, but is no welcome worse than a "please help us to help you" welcome? I think perhaps so.

Accept the lesser of the two evils or persuade Chris to place a complusary spell and grammar checker on prior after the submit button.

[Edited on 11/909/0808 by JamJah]

speedyxjs

posted on 11/9/08 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
He should have had a better welcome and those comments could have been politer (if that is a word) but what is the point in using 'text' language? This is a car builders forum not a text message. We dont get charged more if the post goes over a certain length.
Just my 2p's worth

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
You've found 1 example of someone not being welcomed in a friendly way, it does not mean we do that to everyone. The complaint made in the thread you listed was a specific one and not related to the guy being new.

Personally I hate poor grammar, spelling and especially text speak. My spelling isn't great but I make the effort. To write a whole paragraph with no punctuation at all and with that kind of spelling shows the state of attitude that our country is sliding towards invites that kind of response. Tolerance is appeasement!

I let the odd spelling error go, even in appropriate uses of apostrophies because it is against the spirit of the board. A total lack of written English in that thread was just asking for criticism.

If you want someone to spend their time giving you advice, the least courtesy you should offer is to break your questions up into sentences.

[Edited on 11-9-2008 by smart51]

Macbeast

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
His third post shows he can do it if he tries. If I were a newbie on the forum asking for help I would be more polite.

And he did get the help he was asking for.

whitestu

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I let the odd spelling error go, even in appropriate uses of apostrophies because it is against the spirit of the board. A total lack of written English in that thread was just asking for critisism.

If you are going to criticise other people's spelling you might want to try a spell check before you post!

hellbent345

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
that kind of spelling shows the state of attitude that our country is sliding towards. Tollerance is apeasement!

I let the odd spelling error go, even in appropriate uses of apostrophies because it is against the spirit of the board. A total lack of written English in that thread was just asking for critisism.

If you want someone to spend their time giving you advice, the least couresy you should offer is to break your questions up into sentances.

indeed.
pretty poor welcome there on the other thread i thought, sorry.

[Edited on 11/9/08 by hellbent345]

smart51

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
that kind of spelling shows the state of attitude that our country is sliding towards. Tollerance is apeasement!

If you want someone to spend their time giving you advice, the least couresy you should offer is to break your questions up into sentances.

None of you heard of irony then? Perhaps we need an ironic emoticon.

martyn_16v

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ha! Criticising someone's spelling is like setting off a pedant homing beacon

It's probably a form of intellectual snobbery that makes me a bad person, but if I read something written that badly I do wonder if said person is punching above their weight in trying to build something complicated. If you can't even bother to attempt to communicate properly when trying to gain technical knowledge how many other 'shortcuts' do you take?

And before anyone goes off on one, there's usually a clear difference when reading posts between someone who may be dyslexic (perfectly acceptable), and someone who isn't even trying.

Now where did I leave my asbestos undies...

BenB

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Seeing as he was a newbie I personally would have gone on the principle of letting it slide for the first ten / twenty posts so he / she at least got a nice reception and then maybe say something....

... but then that's just me....

- didn't this happen before with someone who later turned out to be dyslexic.

JamJah

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Should it matter whether the person in question is dyslexic?
As someone who has been around SENs (Special Educational needs) it shouldn't be to turn a blind eye but to help push facilities to help (such as writing your replies in a word processor, check then copy them into the "Post Reply" screen).

Being ignorant to a problem won’t make it go away..!

[Edited on 11/909/0808 by JamJah]

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can i have my tenner back if i get banned please.:-)..

Si, I'll give you the tenner back myself for the time you took to help me with my carbs. Was and still is much appreciated mate. Ta.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
One of the reasons that annoyed me was i know a guy who races autograss cars who was ripped to shreds on an internet forum for his posts with terrible spelling and punctuation (he didn't even put spaces between his words). When he was asked to stop posting he admitted he could not write or spell and had difficulty understanding writing as well. All his posts now go through an administrator first to help him sort them out. He is not thick and would do anything for you and also has a great head for engineering and builds some realy good cars.He can also use text language very well as it makes more sense to him. I am not a fan of text talk on internet forums as well but we are probably all guilty of using it sometimes.Swmbo will probably agree. If somebody cannot spell it does not mean they cannot build cars or understand how they work!!!! All i am saying is try to be a bit more understanding and help people who are less blessed than yourselves.
Ronnie

alistairolsen

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Meh, I got banned from WSCC because I didnt own a westfield!
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/9/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
God help any one who has dyslexia if they come onto this site

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Jasper

posted on 11/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think there is a difference between not being able to spell which is not a big deal (you can install Firefox spellchecker) and not even trying to format a sentence in any recognisable form.

I do agree the response was a bit harsh though.

However, I think it's right to try to make sentences as easy to read as possible, and if you know you have issues with this then maybe you should mention this your inital post.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

meany

posted on 11/9/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can i ask one question?

Did anyone here not understand, on the first post , what he was actually asking?.

My wife has just read it and understood exactly what he was asking.

She says he was asking if anyone has any plans ,or knows of any plans, of an off-road buggy that looks like a class 10 buggy.

[Edited on 11/9/08 by meany]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.