Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valve seat cutter
Micael

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Valve seat cutter

I have come accross a set of old valve seat cutters. I think its made of HSS-steel. It looks like a little bit like this but mine have different measurement.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VALVE-SEAT-CUTTER-15pc-SET-Inc-20-30-45dec-Cutters_W0QQitemZ160175691340QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewIt emQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Does anyone know if this type of cutters will work on modern car valve seat (unleaded)?

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
working linky
Micael

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Micael Moose Åman

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

mike smith1

posted on 11/9/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Have you not considered something like a valve seat grinder? In my opinion you will get a better finish with a valve seat grinder than you would with a cutter set like the ones mentioned.

Mike

Agriv8

posted on 11/9/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Think it cost me £1.50 Per Valve to get mine done 3 angle seat ( on a stripped head ) on a no urgency bassis at my local engine reconditioners.

So i suppose if you are going to do more that one it may make sense. I have no idea if it will work on Hardened seats - email seller ?

ATB

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Micael

posted on 11/9/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I took a chance when bought these, it was not a big deal.

So if I can't use them, i just throw them away or use them to something diffrent.

Agriv8:
I know its not a big deal to let someone do the cutting. But as always, its fun to do it your self.
Why build a car, when you can buy one?

Micael Moose Åman

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike smith1
Have you not considered something like a valve seat grinder?

AFAIK valve seat grinders are for finishing the seats on the valves, not in the head.

Micael, if they are HSS cutters then they will cut the cast iron seats on older engines, but I think they will struggle to cut the hardened valve seats inserts used on modern engines. You'd need a set of carbide cutters for them.

[Edited on 11/9/08 by MikeRJ]

daviep

posted on 11/9/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

AFAIK valve seat grinders are for finishing the seats on the valves, not in the head.

Not quite true, Black & Decker VIBRO CENTRIC is probably the most common grinder for valve seats, ace bits of kit come complete with a jig for dressing the stones to any angle you desire. Needs a bit of practice before attacking any head you want to use again!!!!

Another excellent piece of kit is made by NEWAY but tends to very expensive and you don't see many 2nd hand and they're quite delicate. But makes a brilliant job.

Davie

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 11/9/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im very happy with the neway cutters ive got. I ordered direct from neway http://www.newaymfg.com/frame.htm

I think i paid about £150 for 2 cutters, expanding pilot, t-wrench, few spare cutting blades, screwdriver, cleaning brush and a case.

Paul

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Not quite true, Black & Decker VIBRO CENTRIC is probably the most common grinder for valve seats, ace bits of kit come complete with a jig for dressing the stones to any angle you desire. Needs a bit of practice before attacking any head you want to use again!!!!

I take it back! I would imagine you'd have to be extremely carefull in dressing the stones, or you'd make a real mess of the seat.

Micael

posted on 11/9/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
The neway seems to be a modern form of my cutters.

I wonder if its possible to use my guides, t-handle, etc and Neway cutters.

The plot thickens.....

Micael Moose Åman

mike smith1

posted on 12/9/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you need any info on using the Neway cutters or spares let me know, my step dad sells this gear for a living so i'm sure i can help out.

The valve seat grinder like the black and decker one can easily mess up the seats as you "crash" the stone into the whole seat on contact, there are better models on the market like the PEG orbital grinder where only one part of the stone is in contact with the valve seat at anyone time.

HTH Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.