Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: push button starters
donut

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
push button starters

Anyone know of good quality 12v push button starters and how to wire them up including anything else i would need. I like the idea of using the normal key ignition to unlock the steering lock and turn on the ignition but use a button on the dash to start the car.

Any help would be apreciated.

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matthew_1

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you're feeling very flash (and flush at £50!) try http://www.crxchaos.co.uk/button/

Honda S2000 starter. There is a part number and links to obtain one - plus basic wiring

bob

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Andy

Are you going to have a bar-b-q to make sure you fit this "push button starter" properly

+=/- =

chrisg

posted on 6/1/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Use a relay and you can use any "on while pressed button" mines a washer button, about three quid, the self contained ones are expensive because you need very big contacts, a relay means that the switch only needs to be 12v and won't burn out which the "starter button" types are prone to do.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

blueshift

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
When the time came I quite fancied getting a red button off an old arcade machine, or second best, a new equivalent.

I liked the idea of a red arcade machine button to start the funmobile

donut

posted on 7/1/04 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guy's, very helpful.

Bob- Ha bloody ha mate!!!!! tee hee, you will never let me live that down will you!! I'll make sure i'll get my electrician (Jason) to do it properly.

Anyone any idea which wires i need to remove from the key barrel?

Cheers

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jonte

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Another stupid question

How do you simpliest stop the engine if all the wires goes to the start button?

Julian B

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I should just check on the sva regs just to be sure but i think you may still need an ignition key even if you use a starter button. I think the sva regs state that the car must be secure and depending on the age of the donor car it may need some sort of immobiliser. Someone else may know the exact details.
Mark H

posted on 7/1/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Jont - I had thought that myself!!

Anyone got an answer?!

(or are we both now stoopid!!)

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

GO

posted on 7/1/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Same as always, just turn the key backwards. The button only needs to provide the power to the start motor, once started there's no power going through the button at all.

As chrisg says, use a relay cos the start needs a lot of juice.

Simon

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

Maybe one of our auto electrician chums could confirm, but the current from switch to the starter SOLENOID isn't that much.

The solenoid itself is a dirty great relay, that closes the contacts on the battery wire (that's the Big Red One!!).

I do, of course, stand to be humiliated

ATB

Simon

GO

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I imagine you're right because none of the wires on the back of the ignition barrel are particularly chunky and all your doing is diverting one of those to a push button instead of the final key turn...

EDIT - bear in mind my electrical knowledge doesnt go vastly beyond wiring house hold plugs!

[Edited on 7/1/2004 by GO]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
The solenoid current may not be 'that much' but its still prob a good few amps.

A lot of switches are AC rated and dont like DC at more than a handful of amps. Non lekky types might not use a ballsy switch and it will fail - thats what I think Chris is trying to say.

Its not taking 300A

My wife's megane has a push to start button. Its enabled by using a 'smart card' in a slot. First push starts engine, any subsequent push stops it.

For a locost, you would need a key switch for nomal power and the button to act as the starter position.

Really early minis had a starter button. For the elders amoungst us, you will remember when cars had a rubber 'push' button on the seperate starter solenoid (not pre engaged starters). You could start the car under the bonnet.

Minis simply had one of these on the floor by the driver - there was no low current trigger to the solenoid - you simply manually pushed the solenoid actuator after turning the dashboard key switch.

On a modern car, you would need to satisfy sva with security methods like a steering lock. I think on a megane this is done electromechanically.

atb

steve

donut

posted on 7/1/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a look in the Deamon Tweaks catalogue and they do push buttons and ignition switches plus they do one of each on a small panel for £35+vat

All i would need is the main key for the steering lock and re wire the rest for the panel..job done!! All i need to know now is how to wire it up.......history has not been kind to my attempts at wiring!!!

Andy

Andy

James

posted on 7/1/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Was about to suggest that Demon Thieves panel. Comes with a covered ignition switch and light too if you want! If it wasn't for the £35 I'd have one myself!

James

theconrodkid

posted on 7/1/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
some cars have a relay to fire the solenoid,it is a fair few amps needed so best to put a relay in the circuit

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

donut

posted on 7/1/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
If i use a relay can i use any 12v button?

Keeping to the locost theme (not my usual aproach!!) i thought i could find a button for just a few quid......any ideas?

Andy

Andy

theconrodkid

posted on 7/1/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
yup

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

chrisg

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
If i use a relay can i use any 12v button?

Keeping to the locost theme (not my usual aproach!!) i thought i could find a button for just a few quid......any ideas?

Read my post or I'll come there and smack your legs!!!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Damo

posted on 9/1/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a Honda S2000 starter button into my old MX-5 a while ago and followed these instructions:

http://www.miata.net/garage/pushstart/index.html

I found them quite usefull and since then a few friends have modified the same instructions to suit their own cars. There are however loads more instructions detailed for specific cars out there on t'internet

Hope it helps.

donut

posted on 9/1/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Velly intelesting Damo (in daft chinese voice!- due to honda and Mazda MX-5 cars shown!!)

Andy

Andy

robinbastd

posted on 9/1/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Donut,
Were you asleep in geography lessons?

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

alister667

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your original question I used one of these. I bought it from Europa for about 7 quid I think.

I used no relays - mind you mines a Blade, so I don't know how the electrics would differ from a current point of view. I use the Sierra key to unlock the the steering lock (SVA compliant anti-theft mechanism) and switch the ignition on. Hit the button momentarily to start, and switch the key into the off position to stop. Works very well and I like the look of it. Only 1 point - that switch isn't water proof, I have it mounted under the dash on the tranny tunnel, so it's unlikely to get *too* wet. Hopefully.

bob

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha i like that one LOL

Andy
i think you set yourself up for all the jokes pretty well,how did you evere manage to put that car together
You did put that car together didnt you,or was is the magic kit building pixies.
China has a world beating car industry now

marcyboy

posted on 10/1/04 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
starter buttons

i used to know a bird with "JCB starter buttons" any good
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.