Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: propshaft?
MK chippy

posted on 21/9/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
propshaft?

Hi guys im building an mk indy with an R1 engine and will eventually need to get a propshaft made up but dont know where to go and what info i will need?
Any help would be great!
Cheers

Dave

PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/9/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
It depends how much you want to spend realy,the cheapest option 1,is if you get a old sierra propshaft,give it to mk,tell them the lenght from your diff pinion flange to your gearbox output adaptor,they will shorten your prop,and fit a new universal joint.
Or option 2 is to get one made up by a proshaft company,like bailey and morris.
Or opyion 3 the most expensive option,is get one made up by a company like bailey and morris,but have a torque resilient tube built into it,this will reduce the strain on the gearbox and final drive,and will also reduce the clucking noise you often get with BEC.
Costs OPTION 1 around £100
OPTION 2 around £180
OPTION 3 around £280

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/9/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'd strongly suggest option 3 if you can stretch to it. As said it will reduce the strain on your gearbox so hopefully will pay for itself in the long term.
Richard Quinn

posted on 22/9/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Also a vote for option 3 (but from Dunning and Fairbank - Top blokes!)
PeterW

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the hijack...

I've got to get mine sorted too, but due to having a Tiger Cat and a 'Blade engine I can't get a straight line between engine and prop.

Most props I have seen use UJ's - is there any value, or is it possible to use CV joints as I am sure someone has said they are more resilient to constantly running out of line.

Any cooments or am I talking ballcocks..?

Peter

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
use CV joints as I am sure someone has said they are more resilient to constantly running out of line.

Yes, but not at the speed that a propshaft turns at!

hobbsy

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Going slightly off topic here but is it cost effective to modify an existing prop (like the one on my R1 Fury) to be a TRT prop?

I understand the concept but not 100% on how its implemented.

Or is it more cost effective to give them the existing one to copy the dims from but make a new one from scratch and sell the old one?

Any idea of costs?

I've emailed Dunning and Fairbank as someone else said they were good too.

--

UPDATE: Just heard back from Jon Dunning (quick response!) and he said £145 + VAT + carriage to modify the existing or £265 for a new one (+ VAT as well I assume).

Might go for that then, spesh if its going to look after my gearbox a bit better

[Edited on 22/9/08 by hobbsy]

marmot0

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Got mine made up for £160 with trt from JWE engineering, the turned it around in 24 hours
hobbsy

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, cheers for the reply Marmot (I'm going to cut off your Johnson!!!) I'll give them an email as well.

So that was £160 as an outright purchase with TRT?

Bob C

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of things; 1) round here there seem to be an endless number of small propshaft companies (OK I regularly see 3....) any of which will mate a prop to you diff & engine flanges, balance it & worry about critical speeds for you, all for rather less than the "big names" (e.g. the last prop I bought was about £60 brand new)
2) Instead of a TRT I used the standard sierra "donut" rotoflex - it's still there, working fine, after 650 whole miles!!!
Actually they're quite expensive new - about £45 from memory

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.