Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How big is that little engine?
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
How big is that little engine?

Hey Guys,

Maybe dreaming again, wondering if I could change my beetles old wheezy 1.2ltr that generates an awesome 24hp! With a mini engine sacrilege I’m sure but sod it…

One small point or hopefully so is just low long is a mini engine, anyone know? Haven't got a lot of room in the back of the bug

Oh and what is the largest standard capacity that the engine comes in and the kind of death wish power I could expect from such a monster!

cheers

[Edited on 22/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.vanbran.com/bug/conversion_main.htm
Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote

I've always had the utmost respect for your opinions, and you go and ruin it all in one post

Stick a 2.2 camper engine in, or a scooby engine, or mid mount something!

dan__wright

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
*cough* bike engine

gsxr 750 would be perfect, they are tiny.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

jabs

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Or, if you can find an adaptor plate as they have stopped making them, fit a flat 4 out of an Alfa 33 = 120bhp. Fit two mini rads either side of the drive shafts for cooling. Don't forget you will lose the warm air heater so will need to organise a heater of some kind . Also strap down the gearbox as the standard gearbox mounts will not withstand the extra torque.

[Edited on 22/9/08 by jabs]

tegwin

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
As above...scooby or porsche engine..... Dont fanny around with a mini ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

hmm cheers but well I have like drums all round...a mini engine sounds safer I was also wanting to make it better (not worse on fuel), had thought about a bike engine but with so little torque it would drive me nuts in town.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

hmm cheers but well I have like drums all round...a mini engine sounds safer

Front end off a 1500 beetle will sort that in about 2 hours.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
oh I've had bugs for almost 19 years now, could easily make a track car if I wanted but this isn't going to be one. Engines to loud and slow for this car and I want a small water cooled lump instead so I can hear my stereo and have a good heater. Don't want to change the shape of the back and want to keep it light there too seeing that its the swing axle suspension. The flat four Alpha's are becoming too rare now, mini engines are dead easy to get hold of, just wondering if one would fit?

iank

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
my mini 998cc A series is 18inches (470mm) from the tip of the water pump pulley to the endplate where the clutch casting bolts on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tomgregory2000

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
scooby gets my vote
Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
oh I've had bugs for almost 19 years now, could easily make a track car if I wanted but this isn't going to be one. Engines to loud and slow for this car and I want a small water cooled lump instead so I can hear my stereo and have a good heater. Don't want to change the shape of the back and want to keep it light there too seeing that its the swing axle suspension. The flat four Alpha's are becoming too rare now, mini engines are dead easy to get hold of, just wondering if one would fit?

surely get the smallest Subaru engine then? (1.5 isn't it, with 90bhp I think?)

Scooby engines are everywhere and very cheap as there are so many idiots that buy them and write them off 2 days later.

I reckon you'll run into issues getting the mini engine in - it might be small but the rear end of the beetle really is engine-hugging, needs to be flat config or you're going to be doing a lot of chopping.

[Edited on 22/9/08 by Delinquent]

tegwin

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
The older scooby EA81 flat four 1.8L is possibly your best bet...

Was in the MV pickup....

Really simple, and bulletproof...they use it in homebuilt aircraft in the states!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
my mini 998cc A series is 18inches (470mm) from the tip of the water pump pulley to the endplate where the clutch casting bolts on.

brilliant thanks very much, I’ll have a shifty and see how it looks in there

90hp! omg brake fade...

meany

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
as a scooby owner for the past 5 1/2 years, i would say a scooby engine, the most popular for these seems to be a 2.2 from a Legacy.

But its not what he is after here.

would a larger capacity beetle engine not be the best to do?

Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meany
as a scooby owner for the past 5 1/2 years, i would say a scooby engine, the most popular for these seems to be a 2.2 from a Legacy.

Even the 1600 beetle engines are... lacklustre, topping out at 50bhp, though if no brake mods are planned that would probably be plenty

water cooled camper engines in them can give some proper performance, but the biggest arse with watercooling a beetle is putting the rad somewhere - it usually looks utter cack.

stevebubs

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
BMW K100 engine?
Rosco

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you're looking for a bit of inspiration check out the Z-Cars website. These guys are putting Honda V-TECs and bike engines in the back of Minis. Makes you realise what's posisble in the back of an old car.
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have to say this has a certain appeal

a spooky quiet bug!

stevebubs

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Electric......how far are you planning on going in it?
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Electric......how far are you planning on going in it?

normal range seems to be about 40miles with batterys depending on how many are fitted kind of limiting I supose, would be fun though

meany

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent
quote:
Originally posted by meany

Even the 1600 beetle engines are... lacklustre, topping out at 50bhp, though if no brake mods are planned that would probably be plenty

water cooled camper engines in them can give some proper performance, but the biggest arse with watercooling a beetle is putting the rad somewhere - it usually looks utter cack.

didnt realise they were that low on power, you learn something every day

i wonder who will be the first to put the new subaru diesel in one.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
well the bug engines have that huge great fan spinning round all the time at about twice engine speed, god knows how much power that saps!

Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well the bug engines have that huge great fan spinning round all the time at about twice engine speed, god knows how much power that saps!

going on the amount of air it puts out I don't imagine it would be very much - 1/4 to 1/2 HP at the most?

Antnicuk

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
a common conversion is the rotary engine, small, light and 300 hp N/A or 500 + blown................ You can even buy the bellhousing conversion plate. There is a guy on Mazdarotaryclub who has an N/A one. Runs a 14 sec 1/4 IIRC

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.