Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting cycle fenders
darren(SA)

posted on 7/1/04 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting cycle fenders

Hi guys,

nearly finished the bodywork, was just hoping for some advise on attaching the cycle fenders.

I'm using cortina uprights. I was planning on fibreglassing a bracket on the inside of the fender to avoid displaying any exterior nuts or bolts.

Has any body got some nice photos that could help my design?

thanks

darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 7/1/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
We are upto that point - almost

and I'm sure I saw a posting on here some time ago regarding fixing of the front arches to the stays. IIRC using fibreglass was out due to excessive vibration, cracking and eventually coming loose. We thought of using PU Adhesive at it is pretty strong and with a high modulous of elasticity enabling it to withstand lots of vibration without loss in adhesion. However, some may advise to use PU AND bolts.

But, like you we are open to suggestions/advice either way...

chrisg

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham fix theirs on with Sikaflex only and theirs don't come loose.

Glassing the supports on won't work because the vibration cracks the gel coat in a line either side of the bracket, inside three miles in a controlled experiment!

Sikaflex works best on unpainted steel to"Roughed up" Fibreglass.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

steve m

posted on 8/1/04 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Chris G

My secret invention has been rumbled

My mudguards are home made and araldited to the mudguard stays, then bonded over the top with fiberglass
so the metal stay is sandwiched by fiberglass
this means no visable mountings can be seen

As discussed in an earlier posting, my car has been on the road since may 1999
and I have not lost or broken a mount or stay yet

I can see it all to clearly in 2004 two lost mudgaurds and two broken stays !!!!!

darren(SA)

posted on 8/1/04 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Will proberly go for some good looking nuts instead of glass, I'm about to start making up a bracket now, i'll keep you guys informed!

ps any good pics(and advise) are still welcomed

thanks
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 8/1/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Going back to the sikaflex a mate of mine has an indy that has the rear arches held on only with sikaflex, not a bolt in sight

Martin apparently advised him to do it. My mate quite rightly asked , "what happens if they fall off?"

Martin replied " they wont....trust me...and even if they do we will give you 2 more free of charge and fit them for you too, and replace anything else it has damaged" .

Now there's confidence in a product if ever you saw it!

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Chris G

My secret invention has been rumbled

My mudguards are home made and araldited to the mudguard stays, then bonded over the top with fiberglass
so the metal stay is sandwiched by fiberglass
this means no visable mountings can be seen

Steve,

I hope you're system works! I've just fitted my mudguards in exactly the same way!

Mind you, the main thing I copied from you was the way you fastened the stays to the uprights - dead simple, and functionally sound.

cheers,

David

darren(SA)

posted on 8/1/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, today I managed to make the brackets which came out quite nicely:

the brackets are mounted with the top brake caliper bolt and on one of those three tapped holes where the gaurd used to be mounted. I suppose out of 'too much effort' I decided to bolt the cycle fenders onto the brackets, i'll post some pics as soon as I get my camera back!

thanks tho!

cheers

[Edited on 8/1/04 by darren(SA)]

Hellfire

posted on 9/1/04 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
PU Adhesive (Sikaflex)

Seems like I was right then... result!!!

I reckon ours are going on with this stuff - it's a bit good!

thebutler

posted on 26/1/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Very interested in this Sikaflex stuff, can anyone advise which (of the range) is the one to use for bonding cycle wings?

Cheers,

Steve

jonti

posted on 27/1/04 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just about ready to do my front muddies too and like the sound of this Sikaflex..

There seems to be two types of adhesive Sikaflex.......is it 291 and 295 ?
Which is best? or is there another sort ?

Is the Sikaflex sealer better than ordinary Polyurethane stuff too?

[Edited on 27/1/04 by jonti]

OFROK

wicket

posted on 28/1/04 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I've used polyurethane adhesive Loctite 5222 (white) for bonding panels, it sticks like you no what to a blanket, going to use the same for front cycle wings. Its also available in black and grey from RS £5.71/300ml,
RS p/n's 313-8653 black; 313-8669 grey; 313-8681 white.

There are also primers available to improve adhesion, Loctite 7251 looks like the 1 to use as it states suitable for GRP, RS p/n 385-373, RS £3.14/25ml

[Edited on 28/1/04 by wicket]

macspeedy

posted on 28/1/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've used m8/10 mushroom head stainless bolts and threaded the stays, will stick foam to grp for vibration i am doing it this way due to having to remove the arches before taking the wheels off possibley fiber washers as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.