Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorsport in Scotland
alistairolsen

posted on 25/9/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Motorsport in Scotland

Having had a look thru the 750MC site, it appears most of the events take place south of the border. For cheap motorsport this ruins it with the cost and time to trail a car to events.

Does anyone know of any budget motorsport in scotland? I thought about karting, but I think Id prefer a car based discipline. XR2s at knockhill is an obvious one, any others?

K999NNY

posted on 25/9/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there, Hillclimb is a good budget discipline with a few tracks in scotland. My brother in law also races in the XR2 championship (until someone helped him wreck his car putting him out for the rest of the season). Why not take a look at www.mscc.org which is a motorsport club that runs/participates in hillclimbs and autotests. If you contact Baz he may be able to provide some info on the XR2 racing. You can also type in knockhill XR2 or Forrestburn into youtube for some clips.

Cheers

grassracer

posted on 25/9/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Scottish Autograss ....Central Scotland Autograss Club based near Kinross, newish club, and so their racedays are quite relaxed plus you can have a lot of fun for next to no money in certain classes, pm me if you want more details
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
minitici

posted on 25/9/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
For Hillclimbing & Sprinting in Scotland have a look at
Flatchat.

TimC

posted on 25/9/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a knockhill based Sports and Saloons Championship i.e a catch-all for most formats of racer. We certainly have one in Wales and I'm sure I've seen reference to a Scottish version.

alistairolsen

posted on 25/9/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Isn't there a knockhill based Sports and Saloons Championship i.e a catch-all for most formats of racer. We certainly have one in Wales and I'm sure I've seen reference to a Scottish version.

so far as i understand it kit cars arent allowed odly, becuase you must maintain a saloon car profile with windscreen etc.

The kit car races have to be a recognised kit utilising original suspension pick ups

Hillclimbing sounds good, autograss isnt really what im after.

Cheers guys

zilspeed

posted on 25/9/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Alistair

Where are you ?

I'm another MSCC dude and can heartily recommend the type of activities our club is involved in.
We were discussing next year's calander last night and will have the following events.

Four hillclimbs, one of which is a double header over a weekend.
Four track nights at Knockhill.
Four informal club evenings at Forrestburn hillcclimb track.
Two autotests.
Four production car trials.

Most expensive entry fee is £60, which is for the hillclimbs and the Knockhill nights. All the rest are 1 tenner or 12 quid.

You would be most welcome.

In the interest of fairness, you might also look to East Ayrshire car club as well, they run Kames sprint track.

Or, if you are further north, there are loads of clubs up there too. The main thing is to join a club, that's when you find out what's going on. Our club now has 230 members, so there's plenty of interest and always a decnt turnout.

Cheers

John F

dmac

posted on 25/9/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
As Zilspeed says, there are several sprints at Kames and EACC do track days and evenings there through most of the year (the next is on 19th Oct IIRC). Quite cheap at £25/day or £10/evening and only one car at a time on the track so no worries about other idiots crashing into you.

There is a video from my last visit in September here - video clip

More info at the EACC web site here

I'm sure I've seen videos of some of the hillclimb venues around this site as well if you look.

Duncan

rodriguez

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
i started off doing sprints at kames run by EACC in my XR2. Did it for a few years, was good fun and reasonably cheap. Been involved with rallying alot more these days, plus getting married and new house limited me to a couple of test days this year, but as said above, at 25 quid for a full days testing its great value.

get it lit

modee

posted on 26/9/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
motorsport in Scotland

My brothers and I have been travelling from Edinburgh to race a locost with the 750mc since 2002. It's a great series on some great circuits but it is a lot of mileage and time. The only series that can be done on a limited budget at Knockhill is the fiestas but body damage is always a risk in saloon racing. Karting can be very expensive if you want to run at the front. good luck

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.