Poll: Poll: Trying it on . . . [View Results]
Yes, all the time!
Yes, once or twice
No
No, I am that chav!

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll: Trying it on . . .
james h

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Poll: Trying it on . . .

I am sure this has happened to everyone before anyway, but before I finish my car, is it quite common to see some chav in a Nova/106/205 (delete/add as appropriate) trying it on at the traffic lights or anywhere else against your car?

Would be interesting to hear about your experiences

[Edited on 26/9/08 by james h]

adithorp

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Happens all the time. From BMW M3's and Scooby's to 1ltr Corsas and Punto's and everthing in between.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rjs

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Normally find its Audi drives for some reason .
Hammerhead

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't know cos I am always away first.
BenB

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes!!! The funniest one was someone in an E-class merc who was determined to try. I was on a restricted dual carriageway with lots of traffic lights. At each set they'd pull up next to me and rev the engine and pull mean faces only to be pee'd all over as I shot away when the lights went green. Only to be repeated at the next light, and the next, and the next......
On the last set of traffic lights I accelerated to 40mph and kept it at that, they sped up to about 55mph and as they went passed honked their horn and pulled yet more funny faces. Unfortunately they were so busy doing that they didn't notice the roadside Gatso until it was about 5 feet away. Queue- tyre squeeling sounds form Mr E-class. Four square tyres and a speeding fine later they were pulling a slightly different face. Of course once through the speed camera I gave it some love and pee'd all over them (yet again)....

In fact they were so far back they probably didn't see the shakey-hand-man sign

David Jenkins

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Happens quite often - the next village over seems to have more than its fair share of chavmobiles, and every week or so one will latch onto me, presumably hoping that I'll race.

I don't race, but I do tend to go round sharp corners without slowing down... that usually discourages them!

Or, if I'm heading onto the A12, I'll give it full wellie on the slip road. I don't know if that discourages them, 'cos they're no longer close enough for me to find out!

Otherwise I just stick rigidly to whatever speed limit is in force - that's VERY effective in getting rid of them...

[Edited on 26/9/08 by David Jenkins]

Simon

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno, but I keep getting all sorts of to55ers thinking they can pass my Espace

ATB

Simon

whitestu

posted on 26/9/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing that's had a go against mine was an R8 on the A41 in Hendon. I was quite pleased to be able to keep up!!

I've got a Prius for work, and its quite amusing seeing how much people hate being overtaken / out accellerated by what's seen as an eco car.

Stu

paulmw

posted on 26/9/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm always scarred to death of a kangaroo. So always set off gingery and then floor it in 2nd looking cool as I pass
NeilP

posted on 26/9/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I keep the revs at idle until just before the lights go green and then do a gradual rise up to something noisy (ooh the joy of side pipes) - that and the not braking for corners seems to dissuade most but there's always a few deluded souls...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

flak monkey

posted on 26/9/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very common, often starts with a lot of tailgating which is plain annoying. I usually just dont slow down for corners or if we come to a roundabout leave them standing.

Had fun with a Porsche GT3 a few weeks back. Left him behind coming off the roundabout onto a dual carriage way, he caught me up doing what must have been well over a ton as I had backed off when I realised I was doing 90. He didnt look best pleased, presumably trying to show off to the blonde girl in the car . Best bit was I had Sarah and a camping load in the car too.

Matt will also vouch for the fact they seem to attract rediculous overtaking manouvers, just to get in front and all sorts of other bad driving....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/08 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
he caught me up doing what must have been well over a ton as I had backed off when I realised I was doing 90.

Surely that's a typo David - you mean you had backed off when you realised that you were doing 72mph (honest, officer!).

flak monkey

posted on 27/9/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
he caught me up doing what must have been well over a ton as I had backed off when I realised I was doing 90.

Surely that's a typo David - you mean you had backed off when you realised that you were doing 72mph (honest, officer!).

Ahem, yes...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scutter

posted on 27/9/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I used to play the fast cornering trick, until it caused a crash in Milton Keynes on one of the many roundabout,
Mr diesel Jaguar driver sat along side me going into the roundabout at 65ish, one roundabout later and a jag in the roundabout chevron signboard.

I've started leaving a little more time for them to react, plus don't fancy weeing myself with laughter again.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 27/9/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Dunno, but I keep getting all sorts of to55ers thinking they can pass my Espace

Same here, it's amazing the number of delusional Porsche drivers on the roads that think they can keep up with my white van

iank

posted on 27/9/08 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Matt will also vouch for the fact they seem to attract rediculous overtaking manouvers, just to get in front and all sorts of other bad driving....

David

They do that up and down the A10 against my fearsome unmodified 1.8 diesel focus estate. Suicide overtaking manoeuvres seem to be the norm most evenings, and by the number of flowers down the road a lot of them seem to be successful.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mediabloke

posted on 29/9/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can't agree more about the no-slow corndering. But I tend to have more probs. with Scooby drivers - don't think they like my side-pipes drowning out the sound of their flat-4...

I prefer the "let 'em past and tail them through the corners" tack...

mackei23b

posted on 2/10/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've been OK with the Indy so far, though I did get this a lot when I had the Dutton.

I'd either just let them past, or if they didn't want past. I slowed down then gave it a bit of loud pedal. Point made, leaving them in the distance after that they would leave me alone! Just not into a racing a tw@t on the roads.

That said, I did enjoy a bit of spirited driving with an Exige down some twisty road, I think he was a bit dissapointed that I was with him all the way!

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 2/10/08 by mackei23b]

David Jenkins

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ages ago I was driving fairly 'enthusiastically' down some country lanes when I came up behind a BMW. This Beemer driver decided to put his foot down, presumably to show his girlfriend how his car was faster than mine.

His driving scared me so much that I turned off onto a different route so that I wouldn't get involved with the accident he was trying to have. When I go fast I stay on my side of the road, don't cut blind corners, and don't go full-tilt through narrow village roads - he was doing all of that stuff!

He probably still thinks that he can go faster than me... I just think that he was a dangerous prat.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
They do that up and down the A10 against my fearsome unmodified 1.8 diesel focus estate. Suicide overtaking manoeuvres seem to be the norm most evenings, and by the number of flowers down the road a lot of them seem to be successful.

Know what you mean , my dad was one of the casualties although he wasn't the one overtaking on a bend. Someone once asked why we placed flowers at the scene , my answer was if it make one person think and slow down it's worth it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.