Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy chassis design info needed
balidey

posted on 30/9/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy chassis design info needed

No, its NOT that same old question again.

I am looking for detailed design information on alloy chassis cars, but not alloy tube spaceframes.

Mainly I am looking for photos, drawings, descriptions etc of the Elise chassis and Morgan Aero 8 chassis.

Particularly extrusion pictures, fabrication pictures, bonding, riveting, welding details.

Doing the usual 'google search' gets some very basic info which I now already have, but are there any really good technical documents on line that I may have missed?

Or any books on the design of such cars?

I do have several books on chassis design, but if there are any good recomendations then please let me know.

I'm not after suggestions of designs, or what I should or shouldn't be doing as I've seen so many of those threads. Really I'm just looking into research thats already been done on the subject and the Elise is obviously a prime example.

Locost? Definitly not.

Thanks,
Steve.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/9/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
have you seen the sterile conditions required for bonding the lotus chassis together? how do you repair a car like that?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 30/9/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
have you seen the sterile conditions required for bonding the lotus chassis together?

Nope, do you have photos of it then? As thats the sort of info I need but can't find
quote:
how do you repair a car like that?

I've seen a repair of a Harrier wing being done. Was at one point the largest composite wing in the world. I never thought it would be possible to repair it.

But the repair of this chassis is not something I need to consider just yet. That is months later in the development.

mikeb

posted on 30/9/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how technical this would be.
Did a quick search through my Uni library, not much came up that was up to date, will post the search results if interested.

Lotus Elise : the complete story
Tipler, John.

Summary
Discover the latest Lotus supercar. With unprecedented access to the Lotus factory, and using specially commissioned photography, John Tipler fully describes and details the development and building of the amazing Lotus Elise. Tipler has road tested the Lotus Elise in both road and racing form, making him uniquely qualified to profile this extraordinary supercar, from its design as the M1-11 through its development stages and into production.

iank

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Some details of the Elise chassis in this shot. Can see the red adhesive quite clearly.

Some pictures of a morgan chassis (the aluminium car, which I suspect shared most of the chassis) are here:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/02/morgan-goes-bac.html

Finally some Audi R8 cad renderings of the chassis are buried in this lot
http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=1792

[Edited on 30/9/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mikeb

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sue the latter pictures of the morgan chassis are from our labs where some students where doing the control system for the electric drive, should take a look and see if its still there!

M

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
not cheap but...

linky

[Edited on 30/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
have you seen the sterile conditions required for bonding the lotus chassis together? how do you repair a car like that?

Yeah, and so have my Dad and his work colleagues, who laughed quite heartily at them.

If the commercial passenger aircraft they work on all day can be glued together in drafty, dusty and dirty old hangers, so can a car.

I wish I could remember his colleagues parting comment on the situation, something about anal, moronic and laughable.

Dom9

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you looked through this website?

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/thecar/chassis/index.html

Plenty of good information on there but you have to trawl the links to the interviews and various subsections to piece it all together... Well worth a read though!

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote from above website -

The bonds were executed in a controlled environment with careful monitoring of temperature and humidity to ensure every bond was perfect, before the rivets could be applied and the structure removed from the jig for the adhesive to be oven-cured.

oven cured...

[Edited on 30/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

balidey

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Some info I have seen, but some I hadn't.

So, thanks very much guys, all very much appreciated.

Anyone have that Lotus book by John Tipler? Is it a good read?

Richard Quinn

posted on 30/9/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The "motorcycle engine race car" book that people were talking about on here a couple of months back has a section on chassis construction and within that there is a sub-section on aluminium honeycomb monococques. It is aimed at the single seater but has a bit of good info. sorry I can't remember the proper name of the book as it is at home under the bed!
blakep82

posted on 30/9/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Some pictures of a morgan chassis (the aluminium car, which I suspect shared most of the chassis) are here:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/02/morgan-goes-bac.html

how is that car supposed to do corners?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JonBowden

posted on 30/9/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember right, Prepare to Win bay Carol Smith has quite a lot on rivited aluminium monocoques. It's a good book anyway.

I would have thought that the combination of riveting and bonding would be a good approach.

If you do a google for aircraft design, you should come up with lots that is of use. eg:
http://www.zenair.com/

Jon

tomblyth

posted on 30/9/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you contact the open university part of one of there course towards an MSc in Manufacturing: Management and Technology contains a unit dedicated to the design of the chassie on the audi A6. I dont have mine its been a few years since i did it! but im sure if you go down to your local office of the OU thay would let you read/borrow it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.