Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 Indy
thorpey182

posted on 5/10/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
V6 Indy

Hi, i'm new to the kitcar scene and, like most people probably had, i've got a rough idea of the finished project in mind. Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question (i'm new!!) but is it possible to squeeze a Mondeo/Jag/Renault 2.5/3.0 ltr V6 into an Indy/IndyR? (not sure which chassis yet..)
Thanks alot.

donut

posted on 5/10/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Anything is possible with enough money!! There have been a few Rover V8 versions which are awesome so a V6 would be fine i expect but try and get an ally engine if you can to save weight. You will have to mod the steering and a few other things but should be dooooable.

Welcome by the way.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 5/10/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get hold of your engine and gearbox at about the same time as you order the kit, you can leave them with MK and they'll build your chassis around them, they'll do you the engine mounts as well

loggyboy

posted on 5/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
If you can get hold of your engine and gearbox at about the same time as you order the kit, you can leave them with MK and they'll build your chassis around them, they'll do you the engine mounts as well

any rough idea of what addtional costs this would incur?

Simon

posted on 5/10/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
How about something slightly different, but still with a 207bhp V6, 2.7 litre and twin turbo......

Jag diesel

Easy 260 bhp with chip apparently.

I'd be up for it, if starting now!

ATB

Simon

l0rd

posted on 5/10/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of gearbox would you use if you had the Renault V6 engine? Is there one?
Daimo_45

posted on 5/10/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Why not a lightly tuned Ford Zetec or Vauxhall XE? Would give you the same output at less weight, it's all about the power-to-weight ratio. More balanced handling too.
martyn_16v

posted on 5/10/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
any rough idea of what addtional costs this would incur?

None whatsoever when they did mine

major

posted on 7/10/08 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
I am currently working on a v6 Indy.
If you use the standard chasis a duratec 25 will fit in including the gearbox. It is not the length of the chasis witch is the problem.

Marcel.

thorpey182

posted on 7/10/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
thanks alot for the all the help, will give MK a bell and see what can be arranged. Any ideas on how the handling would compare to a smaller engined vehicle like a 2.0L Zetec, or even a bike engine? yet more questions...
thanks again!

[Edited on 7/10/08 by thorpey182]

procomp

posted on 8/10/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi should be perfectly possible to get the Renault V6 in to an indy. Pics here of the westfield i built with a 300+ bhp works Renault engine in some 15 years ago. Gearbox was a quaife type 9 with special bell housing made for it.

Neweys renault V6 works engine installed into one of the first wide westfields.
Neweys renault V6 works engine installed into one of the first wide westfields.
[/img]

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
major

posted on 8/10/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The jag and mondeo lumps are, i suppose due to alu and 24 valves, slightly bigger at the topside. That is looking at the pic of the v6 renault.

Marcel.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.