Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 6-cil inline chassis
thommy2

posted on 11/1/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
6-cil inline chassis

Hi There,

Does anyone have a drawing of a chassis for a 6-cilinder. I have some drawings, made some of mine own, but i would like to compare them.

Thanks

Hugh Paterson

posted on 11/1/04 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
There are three or four of us contemplating a straight six chassis build using a BMW powerplant, still at the ho hum (what if) stage The thinking is to use the Mcsorley chassis as a starting point, and see if we can cram it in to one of them and leave space for feet and pedals Metal Hippy has rough measurements we think its possible if you are not over 5ft 8" without major chassis mods. Have a look on the link to the Mcsorley plans. let us know what u think.
cheers
Shug.

MustangSix

posted on 11/1/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building one with a custom built 3.3 liter Ford six. My chassis drawings are HERE, courtesy of Jim McSorley.

thommy2

posted on 11/1/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I know those plans, and i guess, i have to stick to that idea, how ever, I am redrawing it all, so it would be nicer and stiffer.

Thanks

Hugh, what kind of spindels are you gonna use, the BMW ones, or do you stick to ford?

Baalzamon

posted on 11/1/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I am building a locost based on Ron Champions book. I will use a 6 cyl BMW M20B20 engine. I have made the chassi 100 mm longer, and I think that will be enough. I am still on the thinking stadium, but it looks like it would be enough space for the engine.
I will propably use modified spindels from my donor car, a BMW 520i E28.

Edit: 100mm is right, 84mm is how much wider it is now

[Edited on 11/1/04 by Baalzamon]

Tigers

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi!
I'm also six pot builder (BMW M20B25).
Well, curently I'm working on heating system in my garage (outside temperature -10 C, inside -2 C). I have almost tackwelded my chasis (based on McSorley 7+442). I hope i could put the engine in to see if everythig is OK during next week. The engine seems to fit in there (without fan), but I'd like to make it sure first.
I have also CADs for McSorely 7+442 chasis (also engine and some other parts with not very precise dimensions and detail level) and modified rear part (to fit my IRS). Well, if you want, just send my e-mail: tigers@one.lv and I will send you plans (AoutCAD2004).
Also I'd like to take a look at other drawings.

MustangSix

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest difference between a McS +442 and the McS-Collins is that the lengthwise stretch is in the engine compartment, not the passenger compartment. At 6' tall, I don't need the extra footroom, so the pax compartment is book length, but 2" wider.

After installing the engine, which is roughly 30" long from the bell face to the pulley, I think I could have built the chassis about 3" shorter than shown on the plans, but as it is, the proportions are very nice, I think, and a small BMW six would be an easy fit.

The only big obstacle with a Bimmer would be the steering on a RHD car, but careful routing of the shaft would alleviate that.

[Edited on 12/1/04 by MustangSix]

Hugh Paterson

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thommy, will be using the BMW driveshafts on fabricated uprights, but then again I have a source for the Ali ones someone else is using that takes the BMW bearings. Should start the chassis in spring if I can clear the floorspace for it before then, thats a tall order though at the mo its full of GRP moulds I need a bigger space, aint found anywhere cheap enough yet
Shug.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.