Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what if?
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/10/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
what if?

this is nothing to do with me btw just something that was discussed at lunch

what would happen if the bank or company that provided a mortgage went bust? who would a house financed by that mortgage belong to, would the 'owner' find themselves with a free house?? none of us here have a clue

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 10/10/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
hahahaah you wish!!!

just happened to be on another website (yes, there are others) and this was discussed.

quote:
From the Times Online

Mortgage customers are in a different boat because they owe the bank money.

The likely outcome is that another lender would take over the mortgage book and existing mortgage deals would continue as normal.

Flamez

posted on 10/10/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
surely a liquidator would be appointed and they would chase all outstanding debts or assets.
Duncan_P

I believe, but i could be totally wrong.....

That the mortgage would just be sold on to another bank. Mortgages are just another 'asset' for banks and would just be treated as such and sold off to cover the banks outstanding depts.

(Altough i think that mortgages are seen as a bit of a liability at the moment so im not sure how much they would be worth)

[Edited on 10/10/08 by Duncan_P]

Mole

Yeah the liquidators would sell of the mortgage book to someone else. You own the house anyway the mortgage is a charge over the property.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/10/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, now I can look clever

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 10/10/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quite righ the any mortgage/bad debt and savings would be purchased be another bank. Which is what happened b&b, santander bought the savings and the governent (us) have bought the bad debt. Or at least thats how I understand it.
smart51

posted on 10/10/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The mortgage is an asset of the company (You have agreed to pay the company hundreds of pounds every month). This asset can be sold. It was the sale of American "sub prime" mortgages that caused this whole thing.

I'd pay you a few thousand pounds for a "guaranteed" £500 per month for the next 10 years, backed up by I get to sell your house and keep the money if you stopped paying.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.