Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop - broken screen
Alan B

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop - broken screen

My wife has a 2 year old Gateway MX6427 who's screen got damaged. It seems I can get a new one for about $150.

Question. Is it a doable propostion to change yourself? and is it worth the bother? It's really a nice laptop and we weren't especially looking to replace it, but will if it makes the most sense.

Cheers,

Alan

[Edited on 10/10/08 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
YQUSTA

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the laptop you have but from the dell's ive had and the idots that have come to swap screens its an easy job just be careful when taking the screen surround off.

YQUSTA

James

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it successfully with Dell's and IBM Stinkpad's.

I've managed with the old Toshiba's too, but could never get the power/HDD etc. etc. LED's on the side of the screen to work again!

Basically, it's doable... but can have unforeseen consequences. Make sure you're earthed for static, and as YQUSTA has said take great care with the plastic clips and screen surround.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

triumphdave

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Changed mine in a toshiba without too much hassle,as said screen surround is flimsy,I used a guitar plectrum (pick) to ease it off.Worked a treat

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

McLannahan

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite an easy job to do but I'd not spend that sort of money repairing it personally.

Possibly use EGay to source the screen - you may fnd the same model LCD is fitted to other models from other brands. There's not many manufacturers of LCD.

Ribbon cable will attach to the screen underneath the keyboard somewhere. Older ribbon cables can be brittle and thin so watch you don't tear through it!

onzarob

posted on 10/10/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
there are only a few screen manufactures, so many laptops share the same screen, My Dad just fixed a Toshiba Laptop using a screen from a Fujitsu. It cost £30 on ebay.
Dingz

posted on 13/10/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Don't suppose anyone has a Sharp LQ121X1H73 screen they want to sell? its for a Toshiba.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.