Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x108 to 4x100 conversion
Echidna

posted on 11/10/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
4x108 to 4x100 conversion

I am interested to buy the TE37 Volk forged wheels because of their ultra-low weight. For a 13x6 wheel you get only 3.4 kgs!
The Ford Sierra uprights have a PCD of 4x108 while these wheels are 4x100.
Do you know of any ways i can fit those wheels to my uprights? Thanks in advance!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
philw

posted on 11/10/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I personally would look for different wheels, by the time you have conversion plates made the weight you have saved with the wheels will be lost, just my two pence worth.

Must try harder

owelly

posted on 11/10/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not redrill the hubs to suit or buy different hubs?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think someone has mentioned these before - real same they are 4x100.

You could redrill the wheels or go wobble bolts but I wouldn't recommend either of those options!

I wonder how many sets they'd have to sell to make it worth their while doing a run of 4x108 ones?

Probably a lot more than we could muster with a group buy!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/10/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
3.6kg is very light, my mx5 wheels are 14"x5.5" and are about 5.4.kg and I thought that was light

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Blairm

posted on 11/10/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Not sure of the legalities in your part of the world (or mine for that matter) but it has been common practice to slot 110 to 108 and vice versa. People have been doing it in NZ for 30 years or more. I think they just put them on a rotary bed mill and elongate the hole. The wheel centres up fine on the wheel nuts.

Cheers Blair

MikeRJ

posted on 11/10/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I think someone has mentioned these before - real same they are 4x100.

You could redrill the wheels or go wobble bolts but I wouldn't recommend either of those options!

Too large a size difference for wobble bolts. Re-drilling the hubs (or getting custom alloy ones made) or using hubcentric adapters are the only sensible ways of doing this.

djtom

posted on 11/10/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Re-drilling the hubs should be fairly easy. Then all you have to do is find a disk drilled with 4 x 100 with the right thickness, diameter and offset. That shouldn't be too bad either - lots of small cars have 4x100 pattern wheels, so have a look at a pair of disks from a clio, vw golf mk1, something like that. 10 min with a brake catalogue in the motor factors and I reckon you'll find something that'll work.

Let us know how you get on!

Tom

MikeRJ

posted on 11/10/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can get disks re-drilled too, though it does mean you have to get it done every time you need new disks (which shouldn't be very often at all on a locost).
mark chandler

posted on 11/10/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
From memory 100 PCD hubs have smaller locating centres, cannot remember what these are called, the lump of metel thet the centre of the wheel sits on Anyway you will need to get some spigot spacers made up.

Drilling is easy, get hold of an old 100 PCD disc and use this as a template to drill the old hubs. There is plenty of room on Sierra hubs to do this.

Regards Mark

indykid

posted on 12/10/08 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
centre bores on aftermarket wheels are usually oversize and have knock in spigot rings to bring the centrebore to the right diameter. should just be a case of getting some turned up to fit.

i'd be perfectly happy getting hubs and disks drilled to 4x100.

tom

hobbsy

posted on 12/10/08 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
3.4Kg in a one piece 13" wheel is very good but I'm still not sure I could be bothered to re drill hubs to 4x100.

I'll stick with my ~3.3Kg 13x7 MB R500 Magnesium split rims

How much do these Volks wheels cost for a set and is that weight definitely correct?

www.wheelweights.net - if you look at the .pdf ordered by weight its a useful resource - doesn't list what PCD's they are available in though - gotta do that yourself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.