Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Cologne 2.9 Cosworth BOA engine
thorpey182

posted on 12/10/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Cologne 2.9 Cosworth BOA engine

Does anyone know anything about the above engine? I've been offered a complete running one, but I don't know much/anything about it (my source of info so far has been wikipedia!!) Would anyone recommend/condemn it? A thing that's putting me off slightly is the cast iron block...

Thanks alot.

[Edited on 12/10/08 by thorpey182]

froggy

posted on 12/10/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
lots of lighter ways to make 200hp

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Whether it's a good idea or not will depend on many things which only you know at the moment. How much does it cost? Does it come with a suitable gearbox (autos work very well with 7's, although are unpopular in a re-sale situation)? How big is your budget? How important is weight saving?Does it come with all the ancillaries?

John

Mr G

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
All the help and stuff you'll ever need to know is over on madoldbuggers forum:

LINKY

Cheers

G

thorpey182

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
No gearbox but all ancillaries, been offered it for £500. Obviously would like things to be as light as possible, but as froggy mentioned it isn't the lightest engine around, but for the price I wondered if it was worth it, and as I'm not totally sure about the engine I thought I'd ask on here first.
jambojeef

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Great engine but thats too much money for one of them I reckon.

You can get the whole car for less if you're patient and get a pimping leather interior to go with your auto-boxed 7!

mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thorpey182
No gearbox but all ancillaries, been offered it for £500. Obviously would like things to be as light as possible, but as froggy mentioned it isn't the lightest engine around, but for the price I wondered if it was worth it, and as I'm not totally sure about the engine I thought I'd ask on here first.

The problem with this engine is that you are competing with people who need to use the V6 in competition (no, I don't know who they are, but they exist), so the prices are artificially high.

I would let this one go if I were you, get a zetec or even a pinto instead (or look out for an MOT failed TR7V8, and get lots of useful bits including the 5speed box)

John

thorpey182

posted on 12/10/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'll keep looking looking around then. Patience is the key it would seem.... Thanks alot for all your advice, glad I asked!

[Edited on 12/10/08 by thorpey182]

theconrodkid

posted on 12/10/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
ask chippy,he runs one

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by thorpey182

The problem with this engine is that you are competing with people who need to use the V6 in competition (no, I don't know who they are, but they exist), so the prices are artificially high.

I would let this one go if I were you, get a zetec or even a pinto instead (or look out for an MOT failed TR7V8, and get lots of useful bits including the 5speed box)

John

the rally boys use them

Alfa145

posted on 12/10/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at the BOA and BOB as a replacement for my ageing Essex.

£500 is about right for these engines (complete with all ancileries and loom/ecu) you need to factor in a couple of hundred for a V6 type9 and bellhouse/clutch/flywheel from a 2.8 V6

There may be a lighter option to 200bhp but at what cost? and there's no replacement for displacement :p

donut

posted on 12/10/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Would be nice in an Old Skool Ford but not in a 7.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There may be a lighter option to 200bhp but at what cost? and there's no replacement for displacement :p

£45 for the engine. A day to make the bellhousing........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NeilP

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug! Bloody luverley in my 7 and before you say it yes I know it is a fatboy's 7...

Got my donor for £500 and probably made a lot of that back in strip 'n' bay.

Loads of tuning potential - 300bhp is easy for reasonable money (cams from a BOB, fuel pressure regulator and injectors and a bit of tweaking on the air...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Herman

posted on 20/10/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]

mr henderson

posted on 20/10/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herman
I think £500 too steep though, £250 is more like it.

But you don't know what the condition or history was. I would much sooner pay £500 for a really good donor than £250 for one in poor/unknown condition

John

Herman

posted on 20/10/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.