Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will a cortina axle handle 150 - 180 bhp??
ed_crouch

posted on 12/1/04 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Will a cortina axle handle 150 - 180 bhp??

Bought a Cortina axle from Jasper. Im wondering if it will burst if i connect it to a rover V8? Said V8 probably wouldn't be in a very high state of tune, but it will be "used enthusiastically".

Any thoughts???

Ed.

timf

posted on 12/1/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
not a problem
if you exceed 250 bhp may become marginal

mackie

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just a question ed, you said in your u2u that our cortina axle was geared too tall for your purposes, yet you are using a very torquey, low revving engine. Or do you mean you have gone for an even lower ratio than 3.45 rather than a 4.11 or whatever?
I'm just asking out of curiosity, I'm not bitter than you purchased elsewhere
We too are using an RV8 and the 3.62 Sierra LSD we are using is too high really, a 3.08 would have been preferable. Still, we can get 130mph (not considering aerodynamics) from that gearing and 70mph @ ~ 2,850rpm in top, or in other words right in the phat torquey bit of the range

carnut1100

posted on 14/1/04 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
We are using the Australian Cortina six cylinder axle. It is a Borg Warner axle and had about 150 hp through it as standard.
Ours is out of an auto and we think it is a 2.92:1.

ed_crouch

posted on 19/1/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Mackie

Yup. Im going to get it on the road with a Pinto, and want the short axle for acceleration, The pinto is for "shake-down", after which I will get a RV8.

Since starting the thread, I have come to the same conclusion as you: both the 4.1 and the 3.62 are a bit short for a rover V8. DeDion with a tall sierra diff seems the way to go, as it wont need the chassis altering as much as with an IRS conversion. Alternatively, a BMW E30 diff half shafts and hubs could be a good bet...

Ed.

mackie

posted on 19/1/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if going pinto first will save you time or effort in the long run. Looking at other people's efforts there's quite a lot that needs changing to fit the V8 in, especially around the footwells and tranny tunnel since the bellhousing is massive and the LT77/R380/T5 'box that you'll use is also a lot bigger than the T9 in the pinto (a +442 may make it easier though). Not poo pooing your idea, just bear in mind you'll probably just stick with the pinto once you've realised how much work is involved in swapping in such a different engine.
owenpilson

posted on 21/1/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
whilst on the topic of cortina alxes where can i buy a colapsable spacer for inbetween the main bearings
cheers owen

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on which Cortina axle --- assuming you mean Mk3 to 5 and not the english axle from the Mk1 & 2.

In MK3 to 5 1.3 and most 1.6 used much weaker axles with small diametre half shafts compared to the 2 litre and 2.3.

The 2 litre/2.3 axle was a version of the Altlas with the heavy duty half shafts this a very strong axle and can easily take a Rover V8. However the ration might be too "short" -- I think 3.55 or 3.6 in the 2 litre

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/04 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on which Cortina axle --- assuming you mean Mk3 to 5 and not the english axle from the Mk1 & 2.

In MK3 to 5 1.3 and most 1.6 used much weaker axles with small diametre half shafts compared to the 2 litre and 2.3.

The 2 litre/2.3 axle was a version of the Altlas with the heavy duty half shafts this a very strong axle and can easily take a Rover V8. However the ratio might be too "short" -- I think 3.55 or 3.6 in the 2 litre

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.