Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Few Questions
dave107

posted on 13/10/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
A Few Questions

Hi I am fitting an R1 2003 engine and i need to fit the propshaft adaptor, has anyone had a problem getting the sprocket off and how do you stop the sprocket from turning tried several things without success.
MNR car loom has two earths the rear one i have attached to the chassis at the rear the other one does this connect to.
the battery as the manual suggests connecting to chassis also.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 13/10/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how they are on an R1 but on my ZX12 I stuck it in gear and chopped a big bit of woft wood up to fit between the sprocket teetch and the block, and that held it still.

Does it have a folded washer (probably a daft question).

stuart_g

posted on 13/10/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Earth cable goes to battery on mine. I also have an earth strap to the engine from the battery.
I would have thought you could connect it to the chassis but you will have to have a strap from battery to chassis that way so if you can connect it to the battery it would be better.

As said above wedge a piece of wood between the sprocket and engine case so you don't turn the engine over when trying to undo the sprocket nut.

Agriv8

posted on 13/10/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,

Have you checked there is no locking tab ( i am usure which have them and which dont )

A 'Proper' impact gun with serious air line presure has always worked when I have seen Marc fit them at MNR

On the earth I cant remeber I am sure one of the BEC bods will be along shortly

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

hobbsy

posted on 13/10/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've found an impact wrench (air or battery powered) works wonders in this situation. I don't think I even needed to put it in gear.
Rob WM

posted on 13/10/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just completed the task with an R1 2006 which I assume is the same. First as above bend the locking washer so as it is no longer locking the nut. Then I wedged a piece of wood between the spocket and the chain guide. The guide was bent during the process but was removed after the sprocket adaptor was installed. I looked into the impact wrench approach. I could borrow the wrench from a neighbour however if order to get enough power HSS reccomend an air compressor whcih produces 70 Ltr/ minute or in english £70/ day. Hence I went with the above approach!!!

As for the loom if you connect the battery negative to the chassis (Which you will need to do if the rear earth has been attached to the chassis) then you can connect the front earth to the chassis. All roads should lead to the negative of the battery.

paulmw

posted on 13/10/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
My 07 ZX10R was a complete pain.

I ended up taking the engine to an ATS garage but they couldnt do it

Eventually I took it to a bike breakers. They fitted a U-clamp to the sproket to stop it turning and set the impact wrench to warp mode.

Mine was an absolute B'stard.

Also, freeze spray is pretty good

Gergely

posted on 13/10/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
We took a motorcycle chain, put it on the sprocket and held it tight with a large lever while the other person opened the nut. It worked without any problems on the 2005 R1 engine.
When fitting the adaptor, we drilled a long piece of metal, bolted two bolts in the adaptor and held it tight like that.
Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave107

posted on 13/10/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Sprocket

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have bent tabs down on sprocket lock washer and wedged large piece of wood between sprocket teeth and engine block, been trying now for two hours not moving at all, think we will have a visit to ATS tomorrow.
I will let you know what happens.

RickRick

posted on 13/10/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
i let mnr do it whilst i was there! as above, chain whip, like a push bike will work, or impact gun with it in gear another option i used on my rd350 is wedge a penny between the crank output gear and the clutch basket gear, its soft enough not to do any damage but stops the engine turning over no idea how much you need to take off the r1 to get to it though so not really any help at all!
bassett

posted on 14/10/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Might not be right but what ive done on my loom, if i remember right is ive connected the car loom to the back of the chassis by the lights and other end to the battery. The R1 engine loom then has an earth from above the gearbox to the chassis rail where i tapped it and the second i think comes from near the ecu that is tapped to the chassi rail and also goes onto the battery. Thats on our 02-03 model R1.
Adam

[Edited on 14/10/08 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Andy W

posted on 14/10/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
pair of 24" stillsons on the sprocket does the job.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.