Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Fueling and Ignition systems - Update
Rob Lane

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
DIY Fueling and Ignition systems - Update

MegaSquirt ECU

Just a quick update.

The unit is now assembled and was tested last night using the Stimulator unit and laptop.

The MegaTune software is a dream to use and works spot on.
Fascinating to watch the parameters change as controls are altered.

I've changed a few of the settings and the unit will happily rev to my self imposed 8100 limit with 9k overall scale. You can set limit higher, I saw 14k rpm.

Next job is to install the MSnEDIS chip with fuel and ignition. If that works on tester then it's into the car.

Anyone else playing with one or thinking of building?

Rob Lane
www.robs7.com

200mph

posted on 13/1/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I am thinking about it, but to be honest am trying to get my head round the idea, have read and re-read the last thread!

What I have deceided to do is go back to basics, and understand what goes on with carbs/bodies etc, so that I can understand whats going on, and also why.

Glad to hear everything is working well, gives more confidence

Also, what sort of cost (ballpark) is involved to get to the stage you are at?

Many thanks
Mark

[Edited on 13/1/04 by 9904169]

Northy

posted on 13/1/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob,

As you may know I'm either going to build a MSnEDIS and just use the Spark part (ie EDIS), or build a MJLJ as I want to use the Webers I've already bought

Would like to know when you get the MSnEDIS working

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thommy2

posted on 14/1/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
We are planning to build a home made ecu ourself.

We have injection, put we want dubble pro cilinder, and beter timing.

Jamesfear

posted on 15/1/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
i will be using it, but will be using the new UltraMegaSquirt

spalding clubgti host

Rob Lane

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Don't hold your breath just yet!

Ultra Megasquirt has been on the way for over a year now and still no real news on its progress other than bench tests are OK.
There could also be a problem of which ignition driver to use in both UK and USA.

MSquirt
I've been using the updated Megatune on the Stimulator and it works a dream with many new programmable features such as shift change points in rpm as well as easy tune mapping in real time. The changing coloured dials are a good feature.

Rob Lane
Can't get on net as often as before.

Jamesfear

posted on 16/1/04 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Which 3rd party ignition are you using on yours then?

oh and did you use the relay board?

thanks
james

[Edited on 16/1/04 by Jamesfear]

spalding clubgti host

Rob Lane

posted on 18/1/04 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment I'm testing the built MSquirt only system.

I will be using the Megasquirt N EDIS version which I've programmed another chip for.

This uses the Ford EDIS4 module with just two mods to the MS board. The module requires a 37 tooth timing wheel to crank pulley, along with a sensor to feed the module. All else is in the software.

There is MegatuneSS to set this up on the computer.

I haven't used the relay board as I have no need. When I fitted the stock 4AGE system I wired up the necessary pump, ignition etc relays anyway. For my part I intend to splice into the harness but still leave the standard plugs on so If I want I can revert back to Toyota ECU.

To be honest this is a project for me, the car runs just fine except that the power band has moved up the rev range caused by shortening the intake runners. With a tuneable ECU I can map higher and up the rev limit slightly. It currently is still pulling hard at rev limit cut. This does cause a couple of slight problems for me when the car tops out when competing, just a few yards from finish line. Do I change gear, or hold on limiter? A few extra revs would see it over and engine is good for 8500 as standard.

I believe I will have to use the Flyback board though, as the injectors are low impedance.

Jamesfear

posted on 19/1/04 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
what made you go for Megasquirt N EDIS and not MegJoltLite?
Keep us updated on how you get on.
thanks
james

spalding clubgti host

JoelP

posted on 19/1/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
this thread reminds me of rell and his throttle bodies. anyone seen/ heard from him recently?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rob Lane

posted on 19/1/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt lite only does ignition, I had made up a PCB for that. MSnEDIS does fuel and ignition.

Ultra MegaSquirt Update

Wow and dissappointment!!

It wil be a fully featured unit using a cheap wideband O2 sensor from a VW.
It will use an EDIS module for ignition anyway, so the MSnEDIS fittings will do nicely.

BUT

It is more or less a commercial unit which will utilise SMD* components throughout which are intended to be pre-fitted by an external manufacturer AND will only be supplied as such. So much for the kit idea! It's a kit but not full self build just the connectors. I'm capable of using SMDs but not everyone is.

Why? oh why, this constant drive for minaturisation(sp)? The MS is very small anyway. Most factory ECUs are 3 times it's size!

Sorry but this now doesn't appeal to me, maybe the price and features will sway me but i really like to build things myself.

Rob Lane

*Surface Mount Devices (Ultra small components with no leads to speak of and very tiny, close spaced leads, on IC chips) NOT beginner devices!!

Jamesfear

posted on 19/1/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
did you make the programer that you can buy a kit for, or is it a 3rd party programer you have?

spalding clubgti host

Rob Lane

posted on 19/1/04 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Willette programmer board then discovered the very hard to obtain xtal oscillator it used, so I left it.

I then purchased a Megaprogrammer from Patrick Carlier ready built. Only because it was a good price and he had no PCBs left. It worked first time ONCE I had sorted my crappy serial port on the laptop.

Rob

edited due to sloppy typing

[Edited on 19/1/04 by Rob Lane]

Rob Lane

posted on 20/1/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Fitted the MSnEDIS chip last night and made the necessary mods to board.

Tested unit on Simulator and ran OK with various parameters set in Megatune.

I then had a struggle with the megatune_SS software loading. Once that was sorted I was able to test the ignition part which works nicely.

Now it's time it was installed in a car to test it out in real life.

Rob Lane

Jamesfear

posted on 25/1/04 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
how you ever had a look at this version "Megasquirt AVR".
Just found its web page and will lit you know if its any good.

spalding clubgti host

Rob Lane

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
The AVR version is fine but it's not supported by the general concensus of builders.

It's someones project using a different processor and you would rely on them for support and not the general forum etc.

It can get very confusing with all the variants around. B&G did a good job and unless you are very capable it would be best to stick to mainstream unit for support.

I personally like the MSnEDIS version as only a small segment of the code is altered along with only two component mods. It is very easy to return to MS with a prog or chip change.

Rob Lane

Jamesfear

posted on 26/1/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ya like you said it is very hard to know what one to go for.
Where did you order your kit from as i am in the dark as to where to get it?

spalding clubgti host

Rob Lane

posted on 26/1/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I joined the MegaSquirt groups on Yahoo. There's a UK group and a general group which has about 30 postings a day.

There is a guy Bill Shurvinton who is on both groups who does a group buy for UK.

You really don't need a programmer unless you are planning on doing many chips. The basic kit contains a ready progged chip, a PCB, a MAP sensor and 1 hard to get chip.
Once assembled you can put the unit in 'boot' mode and it can be progged insitu.

There are component buy lists in the Yahoo list files. I put one in for Farnells in Leeds UK with order codes. They will supply any amount and give excellent service.

Rob Lane

Jamesfear

posted on 27/1/04 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help with all this.
I have just joined the uk group now.

spalding clubgti host

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.