Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: combined water Swirl pot/header?
rumplitter

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
combined water Swirl pot/header?

I'd like to use a combined water Swirl pot/header.

My rad has 32mm dia inlet and outlet.
My honda B18 engine has 32mm dia Th and pump inlet and outlets.

I've seen combination water Swirl pot/headers.

I'm connecting the heater inlet and outlet together with a separate pipe.

It seems simple to me or am i missing the point?

I've attached a sketch on word, please let me know what you think?

rachaeljf

posted on 17/10/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

Some might tell you the flow through your rad is "backwards" but that is a throwback to the days when cars didn't have coolant pumps and they relied on a thermosiphon for coolant flow.

It may help a little for the rad flow to be "in the top, out the bottom," but it's not vital. In fact, if you do use the "conventional" flow direction, I think you will tend to collect air in the top of the rad.

Cheers R

r1_pete

posted on 17/10/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
There is still a need to follow the thermo syphonic rules, as water temperature rises by flowing through your engine, the water itself rises, as it cools in the radiator it falls, so the flow needs to be out of the bottom of the radiator into the pump, up through the engine, hot out to the radiator top to cool fall through the rad and so on.

The pump assists this, it should not be piped as to try and reverse it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rachaeljf

posted on 17/10/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Calculate the "head" generated by the thermosiphon effect, and compare it against the head generated by the engine's pump. You will find an order of magnitude difference.
The thermosiphon helps the pump, not the the other way round. The pump will quite happily pump against the thermosiphon if your cooling layout doesn't suit the "correct" way.

[Edited on 17/10/08 by rachaeljf]

r1_pete

posted on 17/10/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rumplitter its your car, you pipe it up how you see fit, if it were mine I'd pipe it conventionally, thermodynamics and the pump working in harmony = efficiency. working in opposition = inefficiency.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 17/10/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
in order for un-pumped systems to work the top of the raidator has to be above the head of the engine (hence why old old cars have very tall grilles).
in most modern cars, and im assuming yours, the top of the radiator is actually below the top of the engine head. therefore thermal flow has almost no effect. im sure theyll be a little bit, but negligible compared to a centrifugal pump forcing it around.

as r1pete says, if youve got a choice, they might aswell work in harmony. if everything lines up nicely how it is, its fine!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.