Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat foam
Aico

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Seat foam

I want to use some seat foam for my kart. The seat is loose from my body so I need some filler. Where can you get this stuff for cheap? Also howlong does it last when used and stored in the dry? It's the liquid stuff you put into a plastic bag to make it.

[Edited on 17/10/08 by Aico]

Duncan Mould

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Demon Tweeks sell it, they call it seat in a can its a two part chemical mix that is wicked stuff. really fast results, wear some old clothes and cover you and your seat with a black bin bag. just to be on the safe side.
David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wear thick clothing too - it gets hot as it foams up!

[Edited on 17/10/08 by David Jenkins]

nitram38

posted on 17/10/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
£10 cheaper than demon here

designer

posted on 17/10/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Check the yellow pages for Strand Glass, or any fibre glass stockist.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrews_45

posted on 17/10/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
search through my past posts, i asked the same q's and lots of info on there and really cheap supplers
lsdweb

posted on 17/10/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
There's a really good thread on the Caterham forum (Blatchat?) about using two part foam - temperatures, mixing etc. Sorry but I can't find the link at the moment.

My mate did it for me when I sat in the single seater - we had to cut my clothes off to get me out!

I bought mine from CFS and I'd recommend them as the service is good.

Buy more than you need as you may well not get it right first time! And get some wheely bin bags as these are nice and long.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 17/10/08 by lsdweb]

twybrow

posted on 18/10/08 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Why not try B&Q? The expanding foam used for gap filling will work - just be quick to get comfy!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/10/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Why not try B&Q? The expanding foam used for gap filling will work - just be quick to get comfy!

it does not dry out the same the same way

Fred W B

posted on 18/10/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The seat is loose from my body so I need some filler

You do know that Kart seats are sold in a wide range of different sizes? You may find that buying a new seat will not be that expensive, if you consider the cost of materials and the hassle of modifing what you have?

A good brand you might Google for is "Tillett"

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

iank

posted on 18/10/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Info on how to do it here http://www.sjmmarsh.f2s.com/Caterham/Foam%20Seat.html

Obligatory canoe story and good information on weights and measures.
http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=124677

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
This is very very funny. Pinched from Ians link to save you searching for it.

As funny as the waxoyl story plus VAT

That'll be this then...

----------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine once built a canoe. He spent a long time on it and it was a work of art.

Almost the final phase was to fill both ends with polyureathane expanding foam.

He duly ordered the bits from Mr Glasplies (an excellent purveyor of all things fibreglass) and it arrived in two packs covered with appropriately dire warnings about expansion ratios and some very good notes on how to use it.

Unfortunately he had a degree, worse still two of them. One was in Chemistry, so the instructions got thrown away and the other in something mathematical because in a few minutes he was merrily calculating the volume of his craft to many decimal places and the guidelines got binned as well.

He propped the canoe up on one end, got a huge tin, carefully measured the calculated amounts of glop, mixed them and quickly poured the mixture in the end of the canoe (The two pack expands very rapidly).

I arrived as he was completing this and I looked in to see the end chamber over half full of something Cawdors Witches would have been proud of. Two thing occurred to me, one was the label which said in big letters "Caution - expansion ratio 50:1" (or something similar) and the other that the now empty tins said "approximately enough for 20 small craft."

Any comment was drowned out by a sea of yellow brown foam suddenly pouring out of the middle of the canoe and the end of the canoe bursting open. My friend screamed and leapt at his pride and joy which was knocked to the ground as he started trying to bale handfuls of this stuff out with his hands.

Knocking the craft over allowed the still liquid and not yet fully expanded foam to flow to the other end of the canoe where it expanded and shattered that end as well.

A few seconds later and we had a canoe with two exploded ends, a mountain of solid foam about 4ft high growing out of the middle, and a chemist firmly embedded up to his armpits in it.

At this stage he discovered the reaction was exothermic and his hands and arms were getting very hot indeed. Running about in small circles in a confined space while glued to the remains of a fairly large canoe proved ineffective so he resorted to screaming a bit instead.

Fortunately a Kukri was to hand so I attacked the foam around his hands with some enthusiasm. The process was hindered by the noise he was making and the fact he was trying to escape while still attached to the canoe.

Eventually I managed to hack out a lump of foam still including most of his arms and hands. Unfortunately my tears of laughter were not helping as they accelerated the foam setting.

Seeking medical help was obviously out of the question, the embarrassment of having to explain his occupation (Chief Research Chemist at a major petrochemical organisation) would simply never have been lived down. Several hours and much acrimony later we had removed sufficient foam (and much hair) to allow him to move again.

However he still looked something like a failed audition for Quasimodo with red burns on his arms and expanded blobs of foam sticking everywhere. My comment that the scalding simple made the hairs the foam was sticking to come out easier was not met with the enthusiasm I felt it deserved.

I forgot to add that in retrospect rather unwisely he had set out to do this deed in the hallway of his house (the only place he later explained with sufficient headroom for the canoe - achieved by poking it up the stairwell.

Having extricated him we now were faced with the problem of a canoe construction kit embedded in a still gurgling block of foam which was now irrevocably bonded to the hall and stairs carpet as well as several banister rails and quite a lot of wallpaper.

At this point his wife and her mother came back from shopping......

Oh yes - and he had been wearing the pullover Mum in law had knitted him for his birthday the week before.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.