Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crankshaft regrind place in East Midlands?
Benzine

posted on 18/10/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Crankshaft regrind place in East Midlands?

Anyone got any good machine shops to recommend in the Leicester/Nottingham/Peterborough area?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrews_45

posted on 18/10/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
speak to matt at procomp...
Volvorsport

posted on 18/10/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
paul at east lincs motorsport .

hes done a whiteblock - so your good to go .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Benzine

posted on 18/10/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info. I've not done this before, what's the procedure? Can I just take my crank or do they need the block/rods too? And do they supply the new shells or do I need to get them myself?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 18/10/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
well , he needs to measure the crank and see if its in spec with volvo tolerances .

he can get heavy duty ACL bearings from new zealand also , is it just the crank that needs doing ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Benzine

posted on 18/10/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
The bores are in great condition but the engine is hard to turn over by hand, seems like it's sticking/binding a tad. It seemed okay until I put the spark plugs back in then it was struggling. What do you recommend doing while it's all out? I was thinking of crank regrind and balancing.

eznfrank

posted on 19/10/08 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
It seemed okay until I put the spark plugs back in then it was struggling.

It would do, take them back out and it'll be fine I would have thought. Why do you think it needs a re-grind? Have you bent some valves??

martin1973

posted on 19/10/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
halls garage at morton nr bourne are very good,

martin

Benzine

posted on 19/10/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
It would do, take them back out and it'll be fine I would have thought. Why do you think it needs a re-grind? Have you bent some valves??

I mean really struggling like it'll turn over once then stop. Before I had the starter in etc it was hard to turn withi a huge breaker bar. Can you explain the bent valve thing? (i'm a n00b)

mr henderson

posted on 19/10/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you are not just struggling to turn the engine against the compression?

If the engine turns easily when there are no plugs in (no compression) but with difficulty when the plugs are in (good compression if the engine is in good condition) then that's entirely normal

John

Volvorsport

posted on 19/10/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
and if anything , it would be the bores that were casing the binding .

if its free to turn over without the plugs in , id assume you have good compression .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

eznfrank

posted on 19/10/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank

I mean really struggling like it'll turn over once then stop. Before I had the starter in etc it was hard to turn withi a huge breaker bar. Can you explain the bent valve thing? (i'm a n00b)

Sounds normal to me?

The bent valve thing - If you have a timing belt slip/snap and the pistons come up and hit the valves it can put a flat spot on the shells which in turn over time will wear the crank meaning you need a re-grind. Or I guess in theory if they hit hard enough it could just damage the crank straight off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.