Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manta??
Crazy Jay

posted on 14/1/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Manta??

Hey all, I reckon I can get my hands on a very cheap (50 quid) Opel Manta GTE. Is it worth my while or are they "buckets of shite"?? Can they be tuned??
Cheers amigos

thommy2

posted on 14/1/04 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes they can!!!

And there is a quit a lot to tune them with. The drove rallies with it, raced it etc.

Peteff

posted on 14/1/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
They have uprights similar to a Cortina if I remember rightly and are rear wheel drive so could be a candidate for a donor vehicle.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dreckly

posted on 15/1/04 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
Manta?

Hi Jay

I drove a Manta GTE for about five years and loved it! Sensibly sorted they handle well for their size but the 2.0ltr CIH engine is heavy & needs modding for unleaded. I don't think the GTE box will fit the more modern engines like the XE etc whereas the 1.8S/Berlinetta box should. Hope this helps.
Cheers. Ken.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Crazy Jay

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all. Might go for it, but at the min, im tryin to get my hands on an omega 2.0 16v ecotec. Fingers crossed!!!
JoelP

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
you can get ex police ones that are often the 3ltr version, usually manual too, very cheap due to the undesirability of ex law cars. pays your money/ takes yer choice i guess.

not sure if they are differrent to the MV6 version?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ned

posted on 16/1/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
crazy jay,

If you want a 2ltr 16v the 2ltr 'xe' is a much better engine than the ecotech. bear in mind that the gearbox won't bolt up to these engines though as the starter is on the other side on the manta gte. you really need a 1.8 manta or carlton box to fit the 2ltr engines either that or a bellhousing adapter to a type 9 ford box.

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.