Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lydden video
GeoffT

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Lydden video

Video of one of my sessions last Saturday, before the motor went pop. Had to split it into two to keep Youtube happy, and the sound is still a bit naff, but not bad for a 70 quid camera setup I reckon.

1st half
2nd half

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
What happened to the motor? What motor was it?
Worzey

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

Sorry to hear about the car. Hopefully you get it back on the road again soon as I'm looking forward to doing some more trackdays with you next year.

W

Caterham R400

GeoffT

posted on 21/10/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What happened to the motor? What motor was it?

.....it's a 1.8k motor, now complete with a split cylinder liner.

All down to my own stupidity I reckon, in the previous session I tried to hang on to second gear all the way up the hill before the hairpin right, and ended up revving the nuts off it. I think it was here that the damage was done.

Sounds a daft thing to have done, but on a previous visit here holding 2nd up the hill was an option - but that was on road tyres. I had some R888's on this time which meant the exit speed out of the previous left hander was a good bit higher, so I ran out of revs halfway up the hill........

Worzey

posted on 21/10/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I said the R888's would make a huge difference. Although this wasn't what I had in mind

Caterham R400

JUD

posted on 21/10/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
What is the track etiquette there?

Seems as though anything goes, pass on both sides, pass under breaking, dive up the inside without necessarily having been seen by the guy you are passing?

Looks a laugh, but open to some pretty hooligan behaviour.

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

GeoffT

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I said the R888's would make a huge difference. Although this wasn't what I had in mind

Don't worry Dave, I won't hold you personally responsible....

The Lydden officials are surprisingly relaxed about passing etiquette, they freely allow passing on either side, and through the bends. I've done a couple of trackdays here and it doesn't seem to produce any 'incidents', but as you suggest, you need to keep an eye on your mirrors...

martthefridgeman

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
whats the noise limit at lydden? Geoff. ATB Mart.
GeoffT

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if Lydden give any official noise limit, but I've never seen any sign of a noise test there, either static or driveby. I think there's a church somewhere near, so they don't run on Sunday mornings, but no houses anywhere near, so it seems to be pretty much anything goes.
scutter

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Jud, are you thinking what I am.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Never seen them measure noise, my BEC is open exhaust and could be considered a quiet car at lydden !

It is extremely freindly, If they think you are being stupid they pull you out but allow overtaking anywhere on the circuit, cars or bikes so its your own risk. Its wide enough to go around the outside like a "bufflow girl" for us old un's.

JUD

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Mr Jud, are you thinking what I am.

ATB Dan.

Could well be Dan. Not been to Lydden for years - never driven on it.

Who was running the day and when will the next one be? Looking at the Lydden website on t'internet and the last date listed is 18th October. Is that it for the season?

Martin

ETA : Eyes and no eyes - if I had bothered to look a little harder I would have seen that they have dates on 15th Nov, 17th Jan, 21st Feb 14th March 09

[Edited on 21/10/08 by JUD]

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

djtom

posted on 22/10/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Trying to hold second up the hill? Bloody hell, I was pulling 6krpm in third! Either we have two very different final drive ratios or you revved that poor k lump to about 10krpm!

I still haven't discovered the cause of my mysterious lack of boost, but that's mainly because I drove it home, threw it in the garage and haven't touched it since! I know the turbo manifold gasket is knackered, but I'm not convinced that this is completely responsible. Investigation will commence this week with a bit of luck.

Tom

GeoffT

posted on 22/10/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm actually geared pretty high, it's got a 3.54 axle and a V6 type 9, in which all the intermediate gears are a bit taller. But you're right - I did scream the friggin' nuts off the poor thing, I shan't be trying that again

Good luck with your wayward boost anyway, hope your probs don't turn out to be as severe as the rest of us.....

Meeerrrk

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
track looks pretty good, how much are the track days there. you guys are also fairly local to me, do you drive up or trailer?
would be very interested in joining you next time!?
Mark

[Edited on 22/10/08 by Meeerrrk]

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

GeoffT

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's normally £130, which for a full Saturday session is pretty good compared to most tracks. They usually have places available right up to the day, so the clever ones (not me, I learnt this last Saturday) leave their booking to a couple of days before the event, when you've got a good idea of the likely weather...

I normally trailer, but Mark and Tom both drove it I believe. Just means that if you hit trouble, you get towed off the circuit before calling out your recovery man....

djtom

posted on 23/10/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Meeerrrk: I drive (no trailer), Mark has driven to the last two (and driven back from one.....!). Geoff has a trailer I think.

Not sure we'll be at the Nov date - I'm doing Brands on the 10th Nov I think and funds won't stretch to two trackdays in two weeks. Mark can see daylight clean through the large holes in his engine block so needs a new engine, so I doubt that will be fixed in time (especially as he was muttering about possibly fitting a 4.6l RV8 that he has lying around, which is unlikely to be a straight swap for a 900cc bike engine...). Geoff split a cylinder liner and wants to fit a VVC head, so I'm not sure if he was planning to do the next one either.

Mart: No noise limit that I'm aware of - there have been some fairly noisy things on track and I've never seen a noise meter appear yet. It's in a natural bowl which helps prevent the noise travelling.

Martin: Rules are: overtake anywhere you want as long as you are not being stupid. They can and will black flag you if you are being too aggressive / driving like an arse, but pretty much everyone behaves responsibly. Just keep an eye on your mirrors! There was only one guy I encountered last week driving too aggressively who I later saw the Clerk of the Course (deservedly) having a quiet word to. I think he was a bit cross that his expensive shiny Subaru couldn't get past me. This lead to an unwise and very aggressive lunge up the inside of Pilgrims going way too fast, outbraking himself, locking up all 4 wheels and sliding off the track in a plume of smoke, missing me by inches. I think he scared himself, as he behaved himself much better after that, but I decided to keep my distance from him anyway - a scooby looks quite large, heavy and scary when it misses you by a couple of inches!

Tom

Meeerrrk

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
hello chaps, thanks for the replys.

timing wise, sounds quite good because i cant see my self doing any track days this year, going on holiday for 2 weeks on saturday and then its only 6weeks till xmas when im back & my year end at work. So next year, come feb/march time (dry only!) ill be well up for some llyden hill days. I contact them and its 105DB noise limit which is fine for me.

Would like to join you though, i will probably trailer TBH, i will be renting a trailer for each use next year.

Cheers,
Mark

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.