Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford key
001Ben

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ford key

I currently only have 1 key for my car and am a little concerned if I lose/break the key I wont be able to drive my car . Does anyone know if you can buy blank ford keys and have them cut? Do they have to be bought direct from ford? I am using a sierra column.
imp paul

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
you will need to have the key coded to your car and yes you can go to your local ford dealer hope this helps as i do this in my job opps thought you meant modern car lol

[Edited on 21/10/08 by imp paul]

imp paul

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes you need to just get new key cut all will be fine
Blue Fox

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get one from your loccal key cutting place, I know the one near me does/did them. On the same point my sister lost her buttons key for her Ka a while ago, went to Ford for a price for a new one expect around £75, they quoted over £300!!! They said it was because of the labour to program it as they no longer have the red key so you can do it yourself. Even though it only takes 5 mins to program they still charge an hours labour!!
If you do get one locally then can you let me know how much you paid as I need to get one done and would like to know how much they charge for it now as not bought one for quite a few years.

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

iceman26

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
any key cut place will be able to do it
miikae

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had 2 Sierra ign keys cut at local key cutter last month £6.50 the pair .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
001Ben

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
excellent thanks chaps
Russell

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
When I had a spare Sierra key cut, the guy didn't even use the old one as a pattern. He just looked at it for a bit, made a few notes, handed it back to me and said "give me half an hour". Went back later and the key was ready and it worked fine in my ignition. Rubbish security!

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 22/10/08 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
When I had a spare Sierra key cut, the guy didn't even use the old one as a pattern. He just looked at it for a bit, made a few notes, handed it back to me and said "give me half an hour". Went back later and the key was ready and it worked fine in my ignition. Rubbish security!

It's quite easy to "read" such a Ford key. It has 6 tabs that can have 4 levels, so the trained key cutters can even read the key from a distance.
Friend of mine is a keycutter and he got me a spare key by just looking at it in the pub and next week in the pub I had a spare.

It's just remembering something like 124324 (different levels going handle to tip of the key)

And because of this there's only 999999 combinations so no round ford key is unique

[Edited on 22/10/08 by Werner Van Loock]

[Edited on 22/10/08 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
It's quite easy to "read" such a Ford key. It has 6 tabs that can have 4 levels.

It's just remembering something like 124324 (different levels going handle to tip of the key)

And because of this there's only 999999 combinations so no round ford key is unique

No. The number of combinations is 4096 but probably less in practise.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.