Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1400 low rev limit - 9800rpm
paublo999

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1400 low rev limit - 9800rpm

next opportunity to learn -

anyone with a ZZR1400 that doesn't rev fully to 11000rpm. My car is cutting out early at 9800 and have been told that it may be one of the switches or wiring at fault. .e.g I have been told that some busa's have a clutch switch that tells the ecu to limit the rpm early or maybe even a side stand switch etc..

any suggestions. right now the car is wired so that it wont start unless in neutral.... not sure about stand or clutch sensors...

any ZZR owners out there seen this issue?

Cheers
Paul.

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

zilspeed

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It was Drew Murray wot done it.

He said he had to nobble you somehow.

Andy Thoirs paid him to do it though...

skippad

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
How do you know its only revving to 9800?
If your using a digidash it wont be accurate, mine is'nt.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
wont have a bad word said against Drew... but he was left alone with the car... mmmnn

Not worrying about Andy though... had him by 2 100ths of a second at Boydie even with the old blade... he is just running scared...

it was during the mapping/rolling road process down at Daytuner. I am just working my way through the snags and issues of a new car so that I can give it a try at Knockhill next weekend...

MikeCapon

posted on 22/10/08 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the clutch switch. My experience with Suzuki was as follows.

2003 1000 GSXR motor. In order to use the starter motor the clutch has to be disengaged. So the logical thing to do was just to ground the clutch switch fooling the ECU into thinking the clutch is permanently disengaged.

OK so now the starter works fine but the performance of the motor is a bit disappointing. Very flat feeling, poor throttle response and a seemingly low rev limit. We ran two races like this in the french championship which we won but only due to rain once and a big accident taking out our quick rivals the second time.

It was a guy called Steve Webster (some of you may know who he is) who pointed me in the direction of the clutch switch. The explanation is as follows. A lot of bikers 'amuse' themselves apparently by putting the bike in neutral and opening the throttle 100% letting the bike bounce off the rev limiter sending flames and lots of bangs out of the exhaust. It has been said that this was also a popular way of getting engines rebuilt for free just before the end of the warranty.

Suzuki had cottoned on to this a long time ago and on all their ECUs there is an anti plonker system. When the bike is in neutral all the maps go to a 'safe' option. Less ignition advance, rich mixture (at high revs) and surprise surprise a 10,000 rpm limiter.

Just to be sure that bikers don't do the same trick in gear with the clutch pulled in the same anti plonker mapping comes in then too. We just put a button for the passenger to press which worked the clutch switch. You could easily sort a relay to do the same thing.

I can't guarantee that this is your problem but it sounds mighty similar. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 22/10/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

Yes, spoke to the chap that mapped the car and recalled a similar experience with a Suzuki. It seems to make sense. Now to figure out the wiring and work out what should be on the end of the wire rather than say attaching the wire to ground.

As it stands the neutral gear position is send to the ETB dash and the car wont start unless in neutral, but no idea about the poential stand or clutch checks...

Anyone around here done any ZZR diy wiring?

I have managed to find a workshop manual and will start there.
Cheers
Paul.

MikeCapon

posted on 22/10/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Have a look here. Go to section 16-43. There is a descriptive and diagram of the starter interlock system.

This is for an 07 model although I'd imagine that they are all the same.

paublo999

posted on 22/10/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
thanks again Mike. Downloading now..

minitici

posted on 22/10/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Is the 9800 rev limit only in 6th gear?
If so you need to fit a speedo healer to confuse the 6th gear top speed limiter.
On the bike the rev limiter comes in at 186 mph but your gearing in the car will be a lot different hence the limiter comes in a lot sooner.
We had this problem with Angus's Radical - the car was just as fast in 5th gear as it was in 6th.
Doug.

Oh, forgot to mention, the speedo healer has 2 settings - one for correct speedo reading and one set for lifting the speed limiter.

[Edited on 22/10/08 by minitici]

paublo999

posted on 22/10/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
hi mini,

we noticed the 9800rpm limit when it was mapped... Daytuner used 4th gear and it cut out on the rollers at 9800... not sure about the terminal speed....

It sounds like it is an "idiot" switch related to the clutch running a safter map... with the pcIII the map will be fine, but the ignition may be retarted and rev limit lowered... thinking about one of the GI-Pro's to tell the ECU it is in 4th or 5th?

minitici

posted on 22/10/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
We never tried the Radical without the PowerCommander.
We specifically asked TTS if the clutch switch being permanently engaged would cause any problems and they thought it wouldn't.
The Radical is wired so that it will start in gear, with clutch in or out.
Doug.

[Edited on 22/10/08 by minitici]

paublo999

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
cheers... the more info the better..

the car wont start without it being in neutral, so I assume the clutch and stand switches are also hard wired...

Just checked with my m8 who was there with me at the mapping and we are sure it was mapped in 4th gear...

will try it this weekend and let it bounce off the limiter in 3rd or 4th and see what happens...

thanks guys, responses much appreciated
Paul.

Smartripper

posted on 22/10/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I really think that you should use a clutch switch,

Because the switch is a 3 wire one so the ecu knows how the clutch is.... so very easy to take a save mode with clutch in.

Also when you use a clutch switch you can start the engine in every gear.... just place the switch behind the clutch pedal.

I did it with my zx12r and it's working perfect.

Daniel

paublo999

posted on 25/10/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys..

Smartripper - sounds like a plan for the winter...

looks like I may have found someone to take a look at the car with all the right diagnostic gear locally.. which is a relief... hopefully get it all sorted in the next couple of weeks..

Paul

Knockhill trackday tomorrow for a shakedown.. only running 161bhp at the wheels in safe mode... lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.