Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the diff between bright and black steel?
MikeR

posted on 1/11/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the diff between bright and black steel?

I'm asking as it seems its about .5mm at my local steel stock holders.

Just bought some steel, they used two strips. The blackened has rounded edges and is 2.85mm whilst the bright has square edges and is 3.3mm.

Bit miffed to get home and notice the difference. Luckily the bloke cutting mis read the instructions and i've got too much bright (so enough to do what i wanted just out of that - but i have to do lots of my own cutting).

Hammerhead

posted on 1/11/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know but if its for the yacht you might need stainless (the winds just changed btw)
r1_pete

posted on 1/11/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Black is hot rolled, Bright is cold rolled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 1/11/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
as said above and sometimes black not exactly very accurate especially the box section......
lots of cheap and nasty Chinese steel out there with crap in it you won't see until you try to gas cut it or weld it.
bright usually comes in shorter lengths than black....don't know why just always has.

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hellbent345

posted on 1/11/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
yup as mentioned above, hot rolled and cold rolled, its the hot metal reacting with the air a forming a black scale, also bright has/may have some post rolling operations to make it exactly the size needed, whereas black doesnt have that (hence rounded edges etc) - black should be cheaper...?

[Edited on 1/11/08 by hellbent345]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
On a practical note, the black steel will be easier to bend without cracking - the bright will probably need to be red-hot to achieve the same result.

mad-butcher

posted on 1/11/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't bright steel sometimes refered to as enginering steel because of the sharp edges and yes it desn't like to be bent cold.
Tony

britishtrident

posted on 1/11/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Strictly speaking "Bright" only refers to the surface finish not the the grade of steel or manufacturing method although in practice bright steel is always cold formed.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've always known 'bright' as BDMS - bright drawn mild steel - referring to the way hot steel is drawn through dies to get the correct shape. The action work-hardens the steel, which is why it can crack when bent.

MikeRJ

posted on 3/11/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
On a practical note, the black steel will be easier to bend without cracking - the bright will probably need to be red-hot to achieve the same result.

Had the opposite experience with some angle iron I bought from B&Q (yes, they are rip-off merchants but only needed a short length). It was black steel, rough scaly finish and I tried to form a frame by cutting out V's from one side and bending, but a single 90 degree bend cracked the metal every time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.