Board logo

Difference between locost and robin hood chassis
CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 02:24 PM

as titled? is there a major difference between the chassis? the robin hood one is the older one not the new tubular one.

Asking as ive seen one going cheap and it will save me a few days from having to build my own chassis.

Mark Allanson - 28/1/07 at 02:50 PM

I thing the non tubular vintage used the dolomite or cortina

CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 02:57 PM

Cheers guys. The one i have in mind says its a robin hood. and the Dimensions are based on a 1995 caterham classic se.

Does any one have any pics of the RH chassis with out the body panels on?

Humbug - 28/1/07 at 03:05 PM

I thought RH chassis (pre-tube) was supposed to be "monocoque"?

CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 03:23 PM

this is the Chassis

Volvorsport - 28/1/07 at 03:27 PM

theyre not based on sierra and id advise against those particular chassis , and buy a decent one - what were they asking for it if i may be rude ?

CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 03:30 PM

its on ebay. no reserve. its a factory thats selling it off. if i can get it for what im prepared to pay it will save me some time in building one. Plus i can adapt it to how i want it anyway.

Volvorsport - 28/1/07 at 04:36 PM

its cheap at what its listed at - locost chassis are just as cheap and they are proven - that chassis isnt - and never has been through sva . its true that its a caterham replica , having seen it in person - you might be disappointed

give it a wide berth .

Memphis Twin - 28/1/07 at 04:46 PM

"........ and now on my second Sylva".

Very nice Leader...used to hillclimb one in the mid 90s. Loved it.

Chris.

CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 05:23 PM

What do you mean by monocoque? is it not a steel frame like the locost?

DIY Si - 28/1/07 at 05:32 PM

Don't think so. More a construction of folded sheets and bulkheads. They can be harder to make to an equivalent level. Given that you're a welder, I'd suggest making your own chassis, as they aren't that hard to do. It also allows you to make the chassis to fit your running gear, rather than having to mod an old chassis. You can also make it stronger and/or lighter that way.

MikeRJ - 28/1/07 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
What do you mean by monocoque? is it not a steel frame like the locost?

It's not a steel space frame with panels glued/riveted/welded on like a locost. Those RH's were made from either mild steel or stainless steel sheet folded to produce a monocoque body.

I had one of them with Cortina running gear which I bought as a donor. It was a hideous looking pile of junk IMO.

CraigJ - 28/1/07 at 06:33 PM

Ive just retracted my bid from ebay for it. Should have asked here first before bidding lol. I though it was a space frame with panels on.

scotmac - 5/2/07 at 04:06 AM

RH *do* make a locost style chassis through their lolocost stuff. Probably an ok starting point for a build, but might some more triangulization. Probably fairly cheap right now, as i believe they are scrambling for cash. Here are some pictures of it:

http://www.lolocost.co.uk/pictures.htm

Volvorsport - 5/2/07 at 06:24 PM

how old are those pictures ?lol