Board logo

zetec engine in an Avon.
Lime zest - 6/3/09 at 10:34 AM

Hi, hope someone can help.
I am currently building a Tiger Avon and have opted for a new 2.0l zetec. Got a good price from kitpartsdirect.
The engine is a series 3 black top with standard ford inlet manifold and single TB.
I want to run a megasquirt ecu for fuel and ign. Can this be done usiung the original ford inlet arrangement which came with the engine or do i need to fit throttle bodies, say, from a bike??
Any help would be great.

Big Daz - 6/3/09 at 11:19 AM

I have a Tiger Avon running a Silver top Zetec with Bike throttle bodies, also using Megasquirt for fuel & spark. Works well so far Not sure on using the std inlet but cannot see why it would not work - Just not as much power

Daz

fazerruss - 6/3/09 at 01:54 PM

The engine fits ok but you will have to replace the oil filter for a shorter one as for the standard inlet manifold not a chance. Ive got the exact same setup and i thought it was gonna go until it came to fitting the steering shaft. If you need an oil filter my mums got loads of surplus stock.

Forum Code: Description
Description

mangogrooveworkshop - 6/3/09 at 03:48 PM

Speak to DAVE1881 as he has just taken out the zetec to make it mazda powered.

He can answer your questions.

Lime zest - 6/3/09 at 04:10 PM

Thanks guys, look like i will have to go for the throttle bodies then.

jamrogers - 8/3/09 at 08:34 PM

yep i used gsxr 750 throttle bodies and the gsxr injectors. the ford manifold won't fit and u'll get more power with four t bodies anyway. there are photos on my blog of megasquirt and the t bodies - jamie

[Edited on 8/3/09 by jamrogers]