Board logo

micra or polo radiator?
aka Keith - 16/6/09 at 10:04 AM

I used to have a micra radiator in my MK indy (zx9r) however the radiator had an argument with an immovable object and is now broken.

So I am trying to way up the pro's and cons for either replacing the micra radiator (easy fix but expensive radiator) or opting for a polo radiator (cheaper radiator, but will involve replumbing the cooling system).

the Micra wroked fine, has anyone else had a similar issue? or thoughts?

eznfrank - 16/6/09 at 10:18 AM

Is there really that much of a difference cost wise?? I would have though the cost / hassle of re-plumbing the system would cancel out any saving to be made with the polo rad. Either way they're both tried and tested staples in 7's.

miikae - 16/6/09 at 10:26 AM

Go for what you know fits and works , as it will possibly cost you less in the long run plus you know its what you really want a quick fix and back on the road smilling yes.

Mike

big_wasa - 16/6/09 at 10:31 AM

If it works why try to change it ?

get another Micra rad imho

aka Keith - 16/6/09 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Is there really that much of a difference cost wise?? I would have though the cost / hassle of re-plumbing the system would cancel out any saving to be made with the polo rad. Either way they're both tried and tested staples in 7's.

EZ, the micra is about £150 (inc taxes and shipping) whilst the polo is about half that.

For speed it is definately the Micra , but I wanted to check that there was not something I was missing.
cheers
Craig

pewe - 16/6/09 at 10:42 AM

If you haven't already try these guys.
They offer Micra rads between £40 - £130 depending on model.
Click on the specific rad for dimensions.
www.carcooling.co.uk/index.php?p=home
Cheers, Pewe

miikae - 16/6/09 at 10:46 AM

As a matter of interest what year Micra/model are they from as a few on ebay for much less than you quoted.

Mike

aka Keith - 16/6/09 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
If you haven't already try these guys.
They offer Micra rads between £40 - £130 depending on model.
Click on the specific rad for dimensions.
www.carcooling.co.uk/index.php?p=home
Cheers, Pewe

Pewe, sods law is that it is the most expensive one. £130 plus carraige plus VAT = 160ish

aka Keith - 16/6/09 at 10:51 AM

Mike, it si a K10 series, with the radiator cap on the side, rather than in the middle. 998cc L from a 85 I think.

I have not found any on ebay so far.

cheers
Craig

quote:
Originally posted by miikae
As a matter of interest what year Micra/model are they from as a few on ebay for much less than you quoted.

Mike

miikae - 16/6/09 at 11:10 AM

Have look here Craig as they list the dimensions too plus prices not too bad either.
http://www.micksgarage.co.uk/CarSpec.aspx?mode=drilldown&DeptID=149&Make=Nissan&BaseModel=&Year=&Engine=&PetrolDiesel=&Typ eID=

Mike

http://www.micksgarage.co.uk/proddetails.aspx?pid=174929&pk=91F28

[Edited on 16-6-2009 by miikae]

aka Keith - 16/6/09 at 12:02 PM

Thanks Mike, that looks brilliant.
cheers
Craig

splitrivet - 16/6/09 at 12:03 PM

Whats up with Scrappies??
Cheers,
Bob

f1ngers - 16/6/09 at 12:54 PM

I've got one here. It's a used one that came off a running car with no leaks. That is I installed in my 7 and used it to run up the engine etc. but replaced it with a new one that I picked up cheap. It's the one with the cap to right hand side when standing at the front of the car. I was keeping it as a spare but it's yours if you want it and i'm probably not too far away.

Oh yeah it's a Micra one

[Edited on 16/6/09 by f1ngers]

aka Keith - 17/6/09 at 11:11 AM

Fingers, you have U2U.

cheers
Craig

aka Keith - 22/6/09 at 07:37 AM

just a quick thumbs up to F1ngers. thanks for the Rad. will hopefully get the car back on the road soon and hope to see you at some meets soon.

cheers
Craig