Board logo

R1 Sump baffle?
nitram38 - 29/10/06 at 07:25 PM

Just ordered my 05 engine from Malcolm at yorkshire engines.
Do I need a sump baffle if my engine is mounted the same way round as the original bike? (chain RWD)

oliwb - 29/10/06 at 07:32 PM

Would have presumed so to stop oil surge when cornering....though would have thought braking/accelerating wouldn't affect it as much....Oli.

lsdweb - 29/10/06 at 07:51 PM

nitram38

I've fitted a baffle in my normal orientation engin - chain drive also. It can't do any harm and, with 4 wheels and 10" slicks, I hope to generate a bit more sideways g than the bike!

nitram38 - 29/10/06 at 07:57 PM

I have sent 'progers' an email as he was selling them very cheaply.
lsdweb, I have been watching your build with interest. You have done an excellent job so far.
My next car will be a bit like the ariel atom in design but light and bec powered.

lsdweb - 29/10/06 at 08:43 PM

Thanks nitram38

I'm pleased although it's not my work! I'm really looking forward to next season - I have loads of time to get all those small jobs finished..........

Wyn

nitram38 - 12/11/06 at 02:34 PM

I have been advised that it is better to go with the accusump set up.
Any of you R1 baffle users have any surge problems?

ChrisGamlin - 12/11/06 at 06:46 PM

There's no need to fit an Accusump to an earlier engine as surge is not an issue unless possibly running hillclimb slicks, and if (as I suspect) the sump design of the newer engine is very similar / the same as the 98-01 or 02-03 engines, then I'd ask a lot more questions before accepting that advise as correct.

nitram38 - 12/11/06 at 08:56 PM

You are probably right but the advise comes from someone who races an R1 powered car, runs a dyno and builds Championship winning cars.
Jon Lee from Lynx AE running the LR1.
He said that even with a baffle, you run the risk of low oil pressure, but with the accusump, he has never lost an engine.
I have paid £1850 for my engine so I feel a bit uneasy about taking a risk for the sake of another £60.
Apparently the installation is easy as all it takes is to machine a thread into a bolt on the oil/water cooler on the front of the engine.

ChrisGamlin - 12/11/06 at 10:27 PM

An Accusump setup is going to cost a lot more than £60 though

If you're looking at equivalent cornering performance to a Lynx AE which has some downforce and probably runs on slicks so is going to generate significantly more cornering force than a locaterfield on road rubber, then maybe a baffle isn't sufficient, but if you're car is going to run road rubber then I think its unneccesary complication you're adding which in itself can go wrong or cause problems.

nitram38 - 12/11/06 at 11:06 PM

A 2005 baffle costs around £75 and the accusump around £125.
I am hoping that my next car can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, so it will be getting some serious stick!
I also aim to do some trackdays.

ChrisGamlin - 13/11/06 at 07:17 PM

Hi Nitram

Not sure how to say this without sounding sarcastic but there's nowt special about those performance figures in BEC circles, and unless you're running sticky slicks and/or downforce on track and can drive to those limits you honestly won't generate enough lateral G to trouble a baffle plate and slight over-fill, if the sump is similar to the earlier engines like we run. To put it into perspective, your average Caterfield on trackday rubber will struggle to generate 1G lateral cornering, whereas a Radical on slicks (which I'd put in a similar league to a Lynx) will generate over 2G....

Also its worthwhile remembering that the Accusump you get for £125 is the manual valve version which means you manually need to open a pressure valve on the cannister before you start the engine up, and I think close it again (so it can retain pressure) before turning the engine off again meaning you need access to the Accusump from within the cockpit. This means you either need to plumb it in with lots of Aeroquip hose (£) or go for the electric valve version which seems to be the one most people use but is about twice the price I believe.

On top of all that, an Accusump isn't really a substitute for a baffle plate, you don't want to have surge and always rely on the Accusump to bail you out because if you're constantly activating it to keep pressure up, there will be occasions in long sweeping corner etc when its already discharged and so won't have any reserves to call upon then bang goes your engine, so the Accusump is an additional cost of top of the baffle IMHO, as a belt and braces.

At the end of the day its obviously your choice and if the Accusump gives you a bit more peace of mind then its probably worth the investment regardless, but I do think that although the advice you've been given is undoubtedly sound for the Lynx, it isn't strictly relevent to the car you'll be building and for the type of driving you'll be doing.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 13/11/06 by ChrisGamlin]

progers - 13/11/06 at 07:46 PM

I would totally agree with what Chris has said. Unless you are building a car that will run on slicks with aero aids to increase cornering speeds you are not going to generate enough lateral G to cause problems. I run a 2003 R1 with Yokohama 048 "semi slicks" and have not seen any trace of oil surge to date (i run a dat logger on my race car).

In summary, a well designed baffle plate will be fine in the R1, unless Lynx know something particular about the new 2004 -> engine.

Cheers

Paul

marc laptop - 13/11/06 at 08:50 PM

i have fitted quite a few of the newer r1s one customer has an 04 with just a baffle plate no tulip he has done 25 + trackdays on slicks and probably 8 - 10 k normal milage , he has a digidash and has never logged or seen an oil surge problem

best regards

marc

lsdweb - 13/11/06 at 10:05 PM

I can't comment directly as the car hasn't run on track yet,although it will generate high grip (single seater).

The guys I'll be competing against don't, I believe, run Accusumps on their R1's, just baffle plates (home made).

Regards

Wyn

nitram38 - 14/11/06 at 06:23 AM

I am convinced!!!!!!!!
Baffle plate it is.
I bought one before I was told about the accusump.
I have a mate with a cnc........anyone interested in an 04-05 baffle?