Board logo

CEC TO BEC UPDATE
roadrunner - 6/3/07 at 09:50 PM

Nige brought round his engine hoist this evening, what a nice man he is , cheers nige, took exhaust off yesterday, removed megajolt and coil pack, disconnected coolant hosses, and unbolted as much of the engine as possible ready for jacking up and lifting the engine out.
Stay tunned tommorow for this gripping episode.

Hellfire - 6/3/07 at 10:20 PM

Listen for your chassis giving a BIG sigh of relief

Phil

greggors84 - 6/3/07 at 11:22 PM

Surprising you don't see any BEC to Pinto Update posts really!

tom windmill - 7/3/07 at 12:20 AM

run to MK on sat then Brad????

scotmac - 7/3/07 at 09:28 AM

Surprising you don't see any Duratec to BEC Posts really!

zxrlocost - 7/3/07 at 10:16 AM

no they sell the whole car and buy a BEC instead

roadrunner are you done yet

Paul TigerB6 - 7/3/07 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tom windmill
run to MK on sat then Brad????

If you do go Brad give me a shout and we may just be able to work something out involving you finishing a little sooner than expected and me getting my exhaust headers off MK if the dimensions work for fitment into my Tiger.

Cheers
Paul

roadrunner - 7/3/07 at 09:26 PM

I've only just taken the engine out, lots of work yet.

Toady1 - 7/3/07 at 09:59 PM

i bet you still beat me to it! lol!

JoelP - 7/3/07 at 10:07 PM

i did a crossflow to bec swap in a month, from lifting the engine to thrashing round a track. Fancy beating that?! We could make it a challenge for people as they get converted.

roadrunner - 9/3/07 at 09:49 AM

Hi all.
Took the gearbox out yesterday and the prop , i thought i would have to remove the diff ,because the prop flange would'nt pass through the tunnel, but it just needed a bit jigging and it was out.
Just the clock's to remove now, oh ,and to get over a bad back.

Toady1 - 10/3/07 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i did a crossflow to bec swap in a month, from lifting the engine to thrashing round a track. Fancy beating that?! We could make it a challenge for people as they get converted.

guess im nowhere near that leader board then! lol!

roadrunner - 10/3/07 at 10:11 PM

Well my engine has gone now, hope your build goes well Fleck, just got to wait two weeks now before i get my bike engine.

welderman - 15/3/07 at 03:04 PM

What do you think the overall cost would be, trying to convert my mate from cec to bec.

roadrunner - 15/3/07 at 09:04 PM

The engine has cost me £400, exhaust manifold £150, silencer £20 ebay, propshaft and bearing £20 scrappie,prop alterations MK £80, prop adapter £60, bike clocks £30, fitting of engine £50, i think thats everything, but i will probably be wrong.

[Edited on 15/3/07 by roadrunner]

Toady1 - 15/3/07 at 09:08 PM

exhaust manifold and dynojet kit!

roadrunner - 15/3/07 at 09:16 PM

OOOPPS , i meant exhaust ,not inlet, by the way, this dynojet kit ,what is it ,and what does it do.

JoelP - 15/3/07 at 09:37 PM

dynojet sorts out your fueling. Due to a less restrictive exhaust and air filter it will probably be running lean, which can melt pistons.

I just drilled my main jets (zx9) to 1.65mm and that sorted it fine. A few quid for a drill bit. I could feel it hesitating at first, once drilled i got a slow build up of soot, confirmation of richness, which is better than leanness.

You did well on the exhaust! cheap!

Paul TigerB6 - 15/3/07 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
dynojet sorts out your fueling. Due to a less restrictive exhaust and air filter it will probably be running lean, which can melt pistons.

I just drilled my main jets (zx9) to 1.65mm and that sorted it fine. A few quid for a drill bit. I could feel it hesitating at first, once drilled i got a slow build up of soot, confirmation of richness, which is better than leanness.

You did well on the exhaust! cheap!

You hopefully wont need the dynojet kit so hold off buying that for now. Worth checking the jets in there with a 1.65mm drill bit if thats what they are supposed to be.

Cheers
Paul

roadrunner - 15/3/07 at 10:56 PM

Cheers fellas

jacko - 16/3/07 at 04:02 PM

Hi What about sump mod,s is there any needed?
Brad how much to fit the engine
Graham

roadrunner - 16/3/07 at 06:54 PM

roadrunner - 25/3/07 at 08:41 PM

Picked my engine up this weekend, what do you think,
zx9r engine
zx9r engine

Managed to lift into and out of my golf's boot , on ny own, i would'nt of done that with the pinto.

matt_gsxr - 25/3/07 at 08:48 PM

roadrunner,

you mentioned in a previous posting manifold cost of £150. Is this DIY, or do you have a secret source?

I need one for a build (not zx9) at some point, and the cost is a bit scary.

Matt

roadrunner - 25/3/07 at 08:50 PM

MK enginering, so i've been told, i could'nt weld for toffee.

Paul TigerB6 - 25/3/07 at 08:53 PM

I used to have one just like it - until yesterday anyway!! That one looks a little cleaner though.

roadrunner - 25/3/07 at 08:57 PM

Yes i have had the parafin out already, thanks for spotting that Paul.

Paul TigerB6 - 25/3/07 at 09:08 PM

Looking forward to seeing it in your car - It never made it as far as my chassis!!
Another vote here for MK (Sportscars in my case) exhausts as their 4-2-1 system is going to be fitted to the 2005 R1 in my car. £268 +VAT for this. Hope they get them in this week!!!

roadrunner - 26/3/07 at 06:56 PM

ZX9R clocks £47 ebay
clocks
clocks

roadrunner - 26/3/07 at 07:00 PM

Sierra propshaft £20 scrap yard. 11,1/2 KGs if you need to know.
propshaft before
propshaft before

roadrunner - 31/3/07 at 07:38 PM

Part finished my dash today, just a temporary look to see me through the summer, what do you think.
new look dash
new look dash

JoelP - 31/3/07 at 07:41 PM

looks excellent mate, did you see how mine ended up?!

roadrunner - 31/3/07 at 07:49 PM

Is it in your archive, i will have a peek.

JoelP - 31/3/07 at 09:36 PM

nah, only evidence now is on google video. Clue, they are swinging about on the transmission tunnel

roadrunner - 31/3/07 at 10:30 PM

I guess there not reading the same info they used to do.

MOz - 1/4/07 at 09:26 AM

Presume you're gonna lose the stereo??? Got all the music you need under the hood now!!!

Looks fine!

MOz

jacko - 1/4/07 at 01:27 PM

HE will need the STEREO to block the whine of the gear box thats when the box is not broken
Jacko

roadrunner - 4/4/07 at 08:12 PM

engine bay is ready for Jacko to do his stuff this saturday, all being well, managed to cut the diaganal cross member tonight, bit of a git really, spent thirty minutes tying to cut through with a hacksaw, then gave up, got the drill out to chain drill it , done in five minutes, will be repositioned later for the exhaust headers to pass through the chassis.
cut cross member
cut cross member

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:32 PM

Been busy today, well ,somebody has, i just did the apprentice thing.
gear lever(to be cut down), and bearing mounting plate.
gear lever,bearing mount
gear lever,bearing mount

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:33 PM

Engine balancing.
engine balancing
engine balancing

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:36 PM

A hard working man
And a very nice man he is too.
Thank's Jacko.
jacko doing his stuff
jacko doing his stuff

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:38 PM

Bottom mounts.
bottom mount
bottom mount

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:39 PM

Top frame and mounting points.
top frame
top frame

roadrunner - 7/4/07 at 08:42 PM

Visitors, Tim and Andy pop round to check up on us , eat my bacon butties, and then go home.
Thanks fellas
visitors
visitors

jacko - 8/4/07 at 09:11 AM

Hi Brad good days work and thanks for the bacon buttias. come on get the paint out
Graham

tim windmill - 8/4/07 at 02:03 PM

and jolly nice they were to,
ps. great picture of our cars

tim windmill - 8/4/07 at 02:06 PM

as jacko ever thought of being a welder as a proper job. can highly recommend has done 2 conversions for me now, he is just a bit expensive on the bacon butties.

CraigJ - 8/4/07 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Visitors, Tim and Andy pop round to check up on us , eat my bacon butties, and then go home.
Thanks fellas
visitors
visitors

Saw both them cars yesterday on the m180/m18 cant remember which one. They were heading towards Grimsby, I was in a transit pickup going the other way having just picked up my mongoose chassis.

jacko - 8/4/07 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tim windmill
as jacko ever thought of being a welder as a proper job. can highly recommend has done 2 conversions for me now,

NO I can,t Weld bet your worried know
Jacko

roadrunner - 9/4/07 at 06:53 PM

Some more jobs done this weekend, clutch springs changed, and filled up with oil.
clutch springs change
clutch springs change

roadrunner - 9/4/07 at 06:55 PM

All jacko's hard work painted up .
engine + cradle (not fitted)
engine + cradle (not fitted)

roadrunner - 9/4/07 at 06:56 PM

And here it is , fully fitted.
fitted engine
fitted engine

[Edited on 9/4/07 by roadrunner]

JoelP - 9/4/07 at 08:08 PM

ive fitted one of those and never realised there were two more mounts at the bottom of the gearbox Might use them this time!

Toady1 - 9/4/07 at 08:10 PM

bloody hell! your beating me big time!!!!!

tim windmill - 10/4/07 at 08:45 AM

that looks very nice Brad, next job the wiring?

roadrunner - 12/4/07 at 07:52 PM

R1 endcan
R1 endcan

roadrunner - 12/4/07 at 08:05 PM

MMMMMmmm , nice and shiney.
new header tank
new header tank

£45 ebay

roadrunner - 14/4/07 at 09:58 PM

Got most of the wiring sorted now, just need a cdi unit to complete, i had to splice the stop/start switch, the clutch switch and the stand switch, i've connected the white ign wire from the car loom to the red and black wire at the starter relay in the bike loom, need to sort out the speed sensor , as i have no connection for that, just hope it all works when i try it in a week or two.

roadrunner - 15/4/07 at 08:17 PM

All wiring and plumbing done now, still waiting for CDI unit.
I have been doing a search for gear linkages, and i think i will use 8mm threaded bar, should be easy to use and adjust.
Just need my other parts from MK , pick them up next weekend, with any luck.
Wont be long now.

[Edited on 15/4/07 by roadrunner]

JoelP - 15/4/07 at 08:46 PM

what have you sorted for the cdi? There was one on ebay recently, should end soon. I bought all the other crap off him! If you are really stuck i have a cdi for mine, would need replacing though

My gearlever once failed beside a welded thread (not my handywork), so dont weld on the threads!

roadrunner - 15/4/07 at 08:54 PM

I am watching one at the moment.

roadrunner - 18/4/07 at 09:42 PM

Got my CDI unit sorted now, just waiting for delivery, gear linkage is a pain in the arse to work out, but once you've started, it soon falls into place,
gear linkage
gear linkage

It just bolts directly below the drivers side engine bracket, very simple ,and locost, but should work a treat.

JoelP - 18/4/07 at 09:55 PM

dont suppose you know the diameter of the splines on the gearbox do you?! I need to get myself a lever!

Paul TigerB6 - 18/4/07 at 11:25 PM

should be able to get a lever off ebay - paid about £4 i think for one for the ZX9R

mad dad - 19/4/07 at 09:29 PM

Lookin good...you're not hanging about are you

roadrunner - 20/4/07 at 11:28 AM

It would be done quicker, if i was'nt waiting for my eaxhaust manifold.

jacko - 22/4/07 at 08:45 PM

Hi Brad hows it going iv had no computer for a week or so is it running yet ?
Graham

roadrunner - 29/4/07 at 09:37 PM

Got everything finished now , bar the exhaust, it also looks like i've spliced the clutch switch wrong, hence me not having a spark at the moment, i have spliced the two wires at the connector together, rather than the green/yellow to earth, i also made the cdi unit very hot, hope that's not knackerd, we will find out soon enough.
If i go to Stoneleigh now ,it will be in the tin top.

roadrunner - 13/5/07 at 06:48 PM

Got the last remaining parts from MK on friday, wont be long now.

roadrunner - 16/6/07 at 07:52 PM

All finished and ready for Newark.
pass side
pass side

Well chuffed.

roadrunner - 16/6/07 at 07:53 PM

new bonnet
new bonnet

roadrunner - 16/6/07 at 07:53 PM

back
back

roadrunner - 16/6/07 at 07:54 PM

front pass side
front pass side

roadrunner - 16/6/07 at 07:55 PM

drivers side
drivers side

mad dad - 19/6/07 at 10:55 AM

looks really nice so how did it go at Newark, silly question but do you prefer the bec now you have done it?? do you find the 17" wheels ok i can't make my mind up whether to use 15's or 17's....

roadrunner - 21/6/07 at 08:09 PM

Hi mad dad, Newark went very well thanks, went down in tandom with Andy W in his Indy ZX9R, i like the look of the 17" wheels, but i have been told the car will handle better if i get rid of some unsprung wait, but the car handles very well with the 17", so i will keep them for the time being.
Did you get your engine problems sorted, was the damage terminal, or was it nothing.
Brad.

mad dad - 21/6/07 at 08:54 PM

i ended up getting a replacement gearbox from AB Performance and all is well so car back on road and going very well. I have a different dash which i am hoping to fit in the next couple of weeks with the blackbird clocks/gauges fitted including a fuel gauge which is good as i ran out of petrol when out last night.........glad yours all ok i am so tempted to put my 17's back on (as the avator) but it does feel better with the 15's.......lets hope theres more sun to come..........cheers Andy