Board logo

Mazda Miata MX5 as a donor ? Is this a good engine, trans, differential ?
RogerL - 7/4/06 at 04:46 AM

Would the Mazda Miata MX5 1.8L engine, trans, differential and rear end make a good donor?
It seems like it would make a simple all in one solution, in that all the running gear parts come from one vehicle. Is there a problem with any
of the components.
Has anyone done this ?

carlgeldard - 7/4/06 at 06:24 AM

These guys do it with good effect.Click Here!!!!!!!!!

Carl

JAG - 7/4/06 at 07:40 AM

Hello Roger,

take a look at my car - I have used the 1.6 engine and 5 speed gearbox from an Eunos. It's been on the road for over a year now and the whole car has been faultless.

There's also a guy called Keith Tanner (he works for Flyin' Miata in the USA) who has built a Locost Se7en using the Miata engine/gearbox/diff' etc... see his personal website HERE

Basically it works very well. Search for Keith Tanner on this forum, he posts occasionally.

[Edited on 7/4/06 by JAG]

Arthur Dent - 7/4/06 at 10:50 PM

anyone know how tall it is? Does it fit under standard (x-flow) sized bonnet and nose cone?

RogerL - 8/4/06 at 04:15 AM

Thanks JAG:
Your advice helps me finalize my choice of
engine, trans etc. donor.
I had thought of using a Duratec; but it is a little large for the MNR Vortx,I am building.
Now I need to get out to the junk yards to
find a good wrecked Miata.

Thanks
Roger
From California. My son and I had a great
trip to Oulton Park Show March 25. Nothing like a few laps around the track to get you excited.

JAG - 10/4/06 at 12:51 PM

Arthur; mine just about fits. The highest point is the oil filler cap and that just rubs on the underside of my Aluminium bonnet.

My car is a Stuart Taylor Locost chassis and standard bodywork.

The only thing I did was to take 25mm of the sump height.