Board logo

Six point harness question
SteveWallace - 17/11/12 at 01:32 PM

Maybe a daft question, but can a six point harness be used as a four point harness - i.e. is it safe/legal to use a six point buckle with only four harness straps, not using the two crotch straps or are the angles that they come out of the buckle wrong?

alexg1965 - 17/11/12 at 03:43 PM

Pictures of both to show that the 6 point is OK as a 4 point. The only problem you may have is that 6 point harnesses don't come with the same quick release and aren't suitably marked for IVA.

blakep82 - 17/11/12 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexg1965
Pictures of both to show that the 6 point is OK as a 4 point. The only problem you may have is that 6 point harnesses don't come with the same quick release and aren't suitably marked for IVA.

they're absolutely fine with a twist buckle if FIA approved. have been for years now
since 2010(?) FIA approval for belts automatically is an IVA approval, regardless of the type

I got 4 point harnesses from Prima Motorsport, and they 4 points and 6 points use the exact same buckle (ie a 6 point buckle)
except, 6 points buckles are attached tot he crotch strap, and 4 points to one of the lap belts, so one of the releases has to be disabled depending on how they're used.

[Edited on 17/11/12 by blakep82]

Fatgadget - 17/11/12 at 06:48 PM

The whole point of a six point full harness is to prevent 'sub-marrining' in the event of an accident.....Anyone ever eh sub-marrined in a car accident?

SteveWallace - 17/11/12 at 09:32 PM

I'm not very keen on which bit of my body will stop me moving if I use a six point harness!!!!

I would have thought that you would only have a real risk of submarining if you were in a fairly horizontal driving position (as in an F1 car) or had a really really big crash in a more normal driving position. Anything fairly upright and your delicate bits would get very squashed!!!

BangedupTiger - 17/11/12 at 11:08 PM

Using only 4 points will be fine. The camlock will only have 5 slots anyway, as the crotch strap is actually one loop bolted to the chassis at 2 seperate points.

6 point is fine and your plums will be safe, I would never use a 5 point harness, I've heard of a few horror stories with the odd split sack.

umgrybab - 4/12/12 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Using only 4 points will be fine. The camlock will only have 5 slots anyway, as the crotch strap is actually one loop bolted to the chassis at 2 seperate points.

6 point is fine and your plums will be safe, I would never use a 5 point harness, I've heard of a few horror stories with the odd split sack.

I can confirm everything this man said is true....