Board logo

U Trim
paulmw - 15/3/08 at 08:09 PM

I know I have to put U trim on sharp edges for the SVA but it seems a bit over kill. Can people advise if the following areas are required

- Front cycle wings - Yes
- Rear wings - ?????
- Cut outs in seats - Yes
- Edges of seats (MK GRP) - ?????
- Exhaust cut out - ?????

Any other areas I have missed ?

Thanks Paul

worX - 15/3/08 at 08:10 PM

Hi Paul

1, Yes
2, No
3, No
4, Only if they fall to the exterior of the body (may as well to make sure )
5, Yes (Not sure it's necessary on all - but I had to on mine)

Steve

Edited for any other areas!
Front leading edge of the bonnet
around the bonnet bulge opening?
Your Grille (if needed - Mine did)
Fog lamp bracket
Lower portion of Headlamp mount

Then you have all the Bolt Cover issues and the Steering Control Arms and Extensions etc.

[Edited on 15/3/08 by worX]

paulmw - 15/3/08 at 08:20 PM

Cheers Steve

This SVA is annoying me we/I have spent ages making the car look simple and well built.

Then stick a load of plastic sh*t to it so that can it can pass a test

..... and then it all falls off

##rant over##

worX - 15/3/08 at 08:25 PM

Some of my stuff "fell" off before it even got loaded back into the truck in the station car park!

Steve

02GF74 - 15/3/08 at 08:42 PM

exhaust cut out - doesnt this depend on how far the edge is from the exhaust? without looking in manula i thoght there is some sort of sphere that is used to see if the edge can be contacted so if the gap is small about 10-20 mm (like on ,mine) it is not an issue.

Chippy - 15/3/08 at 11:43 PM

IIRC you only have to cover the edges of anything that can be contacted by a 100mm ? ball. I went over mine with a kids ball I purchased from a toy shop, (more or less the correct size), only thing that I had to move at SVA was the exhaust clamp, slacken and push lower down. Never had to do the gaurds, as mine have rounded under edges, (home produced). HTH Ray

Ian D - 16/3/08 at 01:31 PM

Try my pictures. I have got a few suspension ones there. Used a lot of U trim and self amalgam tape.

rule of thumb. You cant have to much U trim for sva.

Ian

TOO BADD - 16/3/08 at 01:44 PM

Sva absolutely amazed me. They failed me for the rear reflectors cos they protruded too far by 1mm !! without the correct round edge. The nut securing the silencer to my bracket had sharp edges even though it was'nt where you could even walk past and catch your leg on it, but considering my whole exhaust is running along the car as long as it does'nt have an edge you are ok, even though you could cook your dinner on it.
SVA ha ha
Stupid vindictive ar.....es