Board logo

Handbrake cables?
Krismc - 15/8/09 at 01:11 PM

Failed my SVA 4 months back because my Ford sierra handbrake cable ends are only fixed with u clamps, so ive been trying to get a cable that is suitable to fit to ford callipers and either my sierra handle or a new handle of similar size, i was told rover one would do but cant find one.

The handbrake needs to be fitted in place and be able to be tightend up after my tunnel is in place? any ideas or links??

BenB - 15/8/09 at 01:27 PM

I used two Sierra OEM cables and joined them together before the crescent adjuster thingy with wire clamps.

Flamez - 15/8/09 at 01:27 PM

My cables run through a rear chassis member where adjustment can be made

Description
Description

and also connects to the handbrake lever via a rod and connector bar;

handbrake
handbrake

The cable is now more firmly secured with these

coozer - 15/8/09 at 01:45 PM

Landrover cables on mine Kris with the Rover handle. There are tons of Rovers in the scrap yards, the handle can be found on all the 200 and 400 based cars from 214/414 to 25/45 and all the MG models.

Drums brakes on mine though so connection at that end may be a problem.. that CAN be overcome!

Steve

f1ngers - 16/8/09 at 08:33 PM

I failed for the same reason but the tester said that looping the ends of the cables around 'thimbles' and back through the clamps was acceptable for SVA. Just finished doing mine today but it is a tricky job made easier by removing one of the seats. Got the 'thimbles' off ebay for a couple of £'s

[img] Description
Description
[/img]