Board logo

Blanking water outlet carbs manifold Pinto engine
Tilo - 20/2/11 at 11:32 PM

Hi,

I'm going for EFI.
I'm still digging my way through it. My question is:
There's a water opening in the Pinto engine by the carb manifold. I suppose that it wont be needed if I choose to go for EFI. So, how do I blank it? Here's the pic...

prawnabie - 20/2/11 at 11:50 PM

The gasket will seal the hole when you put your chosen manifold on. (as long as the manifold doesnt have the outlet on too)

prawnabie - 20/2/11 at 11:54 PM

Now I have read your question properly! I would find the thread of the union on the manifold and buy a blank for it.

Tilo - 20/2/11 at 11:56 PM

I suppose the original gasket comes with the hole for it. Is it easy to find a gasket for that?

Tilo - 20/2/11 at 11:57 PM

??? It's not threaded... It's square!

indykid - 21/2/11 at 12:00 AM

the manifold will have a threaded union, not the head

find a blank for that

otherwise, file a block of aluminium to fit the hole in the manifold and JB Weld it in

[Edited on 21/2/11 by indykid]

Dusty - 21/2/11 at 01:32 AM

That hole is for the warm-up by-pass circulation through the head before the stat opens. Water goes out there and returns to the waterpump, bypassing the rad. You could connect direct or use it as a heater feed but it shouldn't be closed off although you might get away with doing so.

snapper - 21/2/11 at 06:17 AM

It's a very simple job to run a 16mm pipe from manifold outlet to water pump, easier than trying to blank it off.
I put a bleed T in the pipe to let any air out now and again.
As said earlier blanking off can cause hot spots in the head until the thermostat opens.