Board logo

Which way up to mount protech shocks...
tegwin - 10/2/07 at 10:48 PM

I have a pair of nice shiny protech shocks for the front of my car....

Does it matter which way up they go?

Idealy they fit much better with the damper control wheel at the top...but is that going to bugger them up?

itguy - 10/2/07 at 11:03 PM

Might be wrong but I thought I'd read somewhere that they were valved internally on the basis that the adjuster is on the bottom....

macnab - 10/2/07 at 11:16 PM

correct

snippy - 10/2/07 at 11:16 PM

My protech shocks were fitted with the damper wheel at the bottom.

stevec - 10/2/07 at 11:19 PM

I agree Bottom is best.

Confused but excited. - 10/2/07 at 11:23 PM

Oooo er missus!
Well somebody had to.

tegwin - 10/2/07 at 11:24 PM

BUGGER!!!

Looks like I will have to rethink my shock mounts a bit then...

it will look smarter with the shocks wheel down IMHO

Chears guys

PAUL FISHER - 10/2/07 at 11:49 PM

I am 99% sure you can mount protech's either way up,I Recall seeing some fitted upside down on a race car,reason given was to reduce unsprung weight,It may be worth checking with protech,if its going to save you a bit of work.

macnab - 11/2/07 at 01:19 AM

Apparently to get them the other way round the factory needs to be told before hand so they can get all the air out.

It was on another post about 1 or 2 months ago, when they were discussing the new MK R1.

[Edited on 11/2/07 by macnab]

scotmac - 11/2/07 at 01:50 AM

I am running my QA1's upside, for exactly that reason: to reduce unsprung weight....they are made to be run at ANY angle. Have no idea about protechs, tho.

flak monkey - 11/2/07 at 09:56 AM

Oil filled dampers such as protech and gaz (twin tube dampers) must be run the correct way up. I.e. shock body to the bottom.

Monotube dampers such as the gas filled Nitron racing shocks can be run any way up you like including on their side.

Cheers,
David

procomp - 12/2/07 at 02:21 PM

Hi yep i can say after trying to run them upside down even after manufacturer suggetted that there was no reason why not.

That they work for a short period of time but long term lying them down flatish or upside down they do not work properly and air dose find it's way into the damper past the rod seal.

cheers matt