Board logo

Sealing redundat M\C front brake outlet
skidude88 - 15/7/08 at 12:57 PM

Planning to fit a fiat 128 MC.

Is there a proper brake plug fitting that I can use to seal off a 2ndary front brake circuit?

Original master cylinder(s) have had just the two (front & rear) circuits.

This one has two front circuits & I don't really wanna re plumb the front brakes. So hoping to plug one up.

I know guys have done this, but I cant find anywhere saying how?

[Edited on 15/7/08 by skidude88]

gingerprince - 15/7/08 at 01:04 PM

If it's a new build and you don't already have a brake light pressure switch, this might be the ideal place for it?

Mr Whippy - 15/7/08 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
If it's a new build and you don't already have a brake light pressure switch, this might be the ideal place for it?

exactly - kill two birds with one stone...

1 Brake light switch, 2 pin
[113-945-515/H] £4.39

down at the bottom of the list -

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle-Parts/Brakes/Brake-System/?templateID=vwh

skidude88 - 15/7/08 at 01:08 PM

No, not a new build - just one of many (infinite) mods!

Mr Whippy - 15/7/08 at 01:14 PM

then ditch the old switch and use the pressure one

adithorp - 15/7/08 at 01:21 PM

Screw a bleed nipple into it?

Adrian

skidude88 - 15/7/08 at 01:26 PM

AH-ha! - that'll do!

DaveFJ - 15/7/08 at 01:41 PM

Pardon my ignorance but....

If it is a seperate circuit and you just plug it wont you get a hydraulic lock because the fluid has nowhere to go?

I would have thought you would need to take a line from each of the two front circuits and combine them via a T piece ...?

[Edited on 15-7-08 by DaveFJ]

Fatgadget - 15/7/08 at 01:49 PM

^^ Yeah but if you insert a bleed nipple as suggest all you have to do is bleed that circuit and the air will be expunged.

DaveFJ - 15/7/08 at 02:10 PM

I'm not talking about air being trapped.... but if the one of the circuits is closed then when you press the pedal there is nowhere for the fluid to go so surely the pedal won't move?

skidude88 - 15/7/08 at 02:14 PM

I could be wrong, but was going on that the MC is a tandem unit (front & rear), just with two shared outlets for the front pipe circuits

I'm not sure there are three individual circuits , otherwise presumably there would be three individual reservoirs

(if that makes sense!?)

DaveFJ - 15/7/08 at 02:16 PM

that would make sense - I was assuming it was a seperate circuit from your description...

skidude88 - 15/7/08 at 02:23 PM

;O) as I clicked send, I wondered if that's how you'd read the 1st post

Yes I'll be using 2 circuits - (1 front and 1 rear).

Currently the front circuit is T'ed to FL & FR.

With the new MC I have the option to do away with the T, and connect each front directly to the ports on the MC (Which Im assuming is effectively the same thing)

Rather than having to replumb it all, Im hoping to block off the surplus front outlet.

(not sure that makes anymore sense, but hey-ho!)

britishtrident - 15/7/08 at 03:56 PM

Fitting a nipple also has advantages as it will save time when initially priming the system, start bleeding by bleeding the nipple on the cylinder first.