Board logo

Stripe Painting
oliwb - 22/9/06 at 05:23 PM

Anyonw know how to get a perfectly straight line when spraying paints on? I'm trying to paint a rim round the nosecone in spray paint on to gelcoat. I mask it off but anytime I pull the tape off it takes paint with it or leaves the line all wonky. not sure whether to leave it on longer or take it off quicker?! It takes 5-6 coats to get a decent colour so can't take it off between each one and re-apply! Cheers for any advice....Oli.

NeilP - 22/9/06 at 07:20 PM

The standard (beige) masking tape is no good for really precise lines - Believe that body shops use a special plastic tape - If you've a paint spayers near you try and beg some off?...

rusty nuts - 22/9/06 at 08:10 PM

Do you mean pinstripping? what about using pinstrip tape as used by bodyshops? Check your local automotive paint suppliers, they normally have a selection .

k33ts - 22/9/06 at 08:26 PM

you need fine line tape. and it sounds like you need to etch the surface your spraying.

if it takes 5-6 coats your using the wrong paint!!

[Edited on 22/9/06 by k33ts]

Chippy - 22/9/06 at 11:22 PM

Definately need to key GRP, either with a selfetch primer, or fine wet and dry. Plus well degrease prior to this, as when it comes from the mould, it has a wax residue still on it. Agree about the fine line tap, use that, and back up the remaining masked area with ordinary tape and paper. Hope that helps. Ray.

Hammerhead - 23/9/06 at 09:47 AM

you also need to consider using a razor blade break the seal between the paint and the tape. If you watch American Chopper or biker build off the painters who pinstripe the fuel tanks carefully slice with a razor blade.

mookaloid - 23/9/06 at 10:19 AM

How about using one of these?

Cheers

Mark

oliwb - 23/9/06 at 07:20 PM

Cheers guys. I couldn't get my hands on the special masking tape. I etched the surface using wet+dry paper so no probs there....I didn't use a razor blade though which probably would have helped......I've done my painting now really cheaply so I can get an idea of how it will look....once I make my mind up I'll remove the paint again and take it down to the local paint sprayers and get them to do it properly.....Cheers Oli.