Board logo

cut body into 3 sections??
first350 - 23/12/10 at 10:49 PM

I'm building a MNR Vortx Miata w/ a black body and am thinking that I'll cut the main body tube (sides and rear) into 3 sections (2 sides, 1 rear). I would cut it at the top of the rear fenders.

Pros:
-ease of installation (wouldn't have to remove the rear suspension to install, can take off just 1 section for maintenance,...)
-less storage space required

Cons:
-Doesn't look as nice when there's a seam...I'd plan to put a thin rubber piece between the cuts (similar to how the rear fenders are done). I also figure since my body work is black, it'd be less obvious.
-Strength ?? (I don't think it'd weaken the body...and I'd just add a rivet near the joint)

Any other thoughts???

(This is a practical car for me...I plan on autoX/Tracking it, so I'm not worried about having a "show car" quality/look.

Thanks & Cheers!

pics of where I'd cut (red lines):

Here's a pic of someone's Vortx...I added a black line of where I'd cut the body. With the rear fenders attached, the cut would be fairly minimal.

[Edited on 23/12/10 by first350]

ashg - 23/12/10 at 11:02 PM

most kits are like that anyway so i cant see it being a problem if you not bothered about the look of it

ashg - 23/12/10 at 11:02 PM

most kits are like that anyway so i cant see it being a problem if you not bothered about the look of it

A1 - 23/12/10 at 11:21 PM

it should be okay, as long as you cut it nice and neatly you can make it look really good.

gavin174 - 24/12/10 at 06:44 AM

you need to make the two bottom cuts to allow for suspension travel

but i would try to keep it as one if you can

have a look at this build blog

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com/

we have done a lot in the last week and Steve will update very shortly!!

[Edited on 24/12/10 by gavin174]

chesney321 - 24/12/10 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
most kits are like that anyway so i cant see it being a problem if you not bothered about the look of it [/quote
very nice but what are the wheels ????

The Venom Project - 24/12/10 at 02:18 PM

The problem I had was mine cracked at this point anyway as soon as the triangle was cut out, it lost all its strength from this. my brother repaired the fiberglass and toughened it up at this point, but had my car come back to me, I was getting Soft Bits for Sevens to make me a custom Tonneau cover to hide the crack anyway.

I think its a good idea to have access to the rear if you can anyway.

My tub however was a solid uncut tub, 2005 model, I know MNR had made it much easier with the newer bodywork.

Good Luck

nick205 - 24/12/10 at 04:17 PM

AS above, most 7 style bodywork consist of separate side and rear panels anyway and often suffer visually where the parts meet as the profiles are never the same - at least yours will be the same profile.

2nd (Green) car looks rather more MK than MNR to me

daniel mason - 24/12/10 at 04:47 PM

if you remove the bottom section as you're supposed to then the rear suspension does not need removing. the whole tub just slides on easily in one peice! its the front end which causes the problems with holes for wishbones and steering rack.

first350 - 24/12/10 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
if you remove the bottom section as you're supposed to then the rear suspension does not need removing. the whole tub just slides on easily in one peice! its the front end which causes the problems with holes for wishbones and steering rack.

ahh...guess MNR left the bottom portion on for shipping to prevent cracking. Thanks for the info!

daniel mason - 27/12/10 at 12:41 PM

yeah, it just adds strength during shipping etc! your build is coming on well.