Board logo

Nose Cone Retrofit
ffrgtm - 3/3/11 at 05:26 PM

Hello all,

Future US builder here, placing a deposit on Monday but I wanted to ask you guys a quick question first.

I absolutely love the styling of the old chassis MNR (caterham style nosecone). Having said this I don't particularly care for the new nosecone... the look with the slats chopped out is OK.

MNR have told me that there is no possible way for me to order a car with the old style nosecone... I understand that this is because the new frame is larger and the Amtrack train nosecone (new style) accommodates this.

Is there any possible way to retrofit the old style nose on the new chassis? I'm working with very limited information on my side of the pond.

I'm fairly capable mechanically (this won't be my first "kit" car) but have never done any real fiberglass work.

Thanks in advance!

jacko - 3/3/11 at 06:05 PM

I believe if you get the old type nose cone it will NOT fit the new type bonnet and new nose cone to OLD bonnet

loggyboy - 3/3/11 at 06:34 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/18/viewthread.php?tid=130799

ffrgtm - 3/3/11 at 07:36 PM

Hmm that is a nice angle of the new nose cone without slats.

Chris at MNR did tell me that he could do that and I'm sure that's what I'll end up doing.

I was more curious at how much work it would really take to get an old style bonnet and nosecone aaand scuttle to fit the new chassis (which is apparently bigger... hence the reason Chris is saying the old cone isn't an option at all).

Chippy - 3/3/11 at 09:17 PM

Where fibre glass is concerned there is very little that cannot be achieved with the right attitude and a bit of forethought. It's possable to modify, or even remould almost any article, there are masses of articles on makeing and modifying items in GRP. If you have a trawl through the many GRP suppliers site they have loads of info on moulding and modifying.
HTH Ray

quote:
Originally posted by ffrgtm
Hello all,
Future US builder here, placing a deposit on Monday but I wanted to ask you guys a quick question first.
I absolutely love the styling of the old chassis MNR (caterham style nosecone). Having said this I don't particularly care for the new nosecone... the look with the slats chopped out is OK.
Is there any possible way to retrofit the old style nose on the new chassis? I'm working with very limited information on my side of the pond.
I'm fairly capable mechanically (this won't be my first "kit" car) but have never done any real fiberglass work.
Thanks in advance!

first350 - 3/3/11 at 09:49 PM

I got my kit back in Sept '10 and had the same issue when I was ordering it...I had them remove the horizontal slats. I love the look now...but it took some time to grow on me.

*the blue is painters tape to protect from scratches during the build

loggyboy - 3/3/11 at 10:03 PM

Jesus, you must of spent the same amount in tape as a new set of panels would have cost!!!

ffrgtm - 3/3/11 at 10:45 PM

oh I know the miata build well.. lot's of photos in there I've been studying. I want those fenders very badly.

I think I will just try to let it grow on me for a while, maybe a cf body is in the future. Just need to land that job at my school's composites lab

first350 - 4/3/11 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Jesus, you must of spent the same amount in tape as 1a new set of panels would have cost!!!

LMAO...at least I invested in 3M before I cleared out the warehouse

this is one of my better ideas...I can't count how many scratches I've made when cutting/sanding/filing the body holes that have torn the tape, but left the body intact.

[Edited on 4/3/11 by first350]