Board logo

Single seater car engine/gearbox ?
bob - 23/1/09 at 11:15 PM

So what are the possibles ?

After having a look around i have seen tiger used a zetec with a hewland axle/box thingumyjig in the ERA but what are the possible locost options ?

I'm very interested in the single seater with a car engine and want to try and price up.

[Edited on 23/1/09 by bob]

austin man - 23/1/09 at 11:20 PM

renault box or the Audi engine and box,

bigrich - 23/1/09 at 11:21 PM

VW Passat, inline engine and Transaxle

Chippy - 23/1/09 at 11:23 PM

Bob, finaly decided to ditch the misses and kids, . VW beetle, Audi, Porsch, just a few. Cheers Ray

Miks15 - 23/1/09 at 11:25 PM

most transvere engine and box surely?

chrisg - 23/1/09 at 11:30 PM

I've been looking at the Audi engine and transaxle, if I have room (in the book) I'll include it but it won't be as detailed as the bike engine version.

At a quick glance it should physically fit inte chassis with a few mods.

I wouldn't consider the Hewland box to be a Locost solution Bob!

Cheers

Chris

DRC INDY 7 - 23/1/09 at 11:31 PM

lotus europa twin cam for the retro racer

chrisg - 23/1/09 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
most transvere engine and box surely?

The chassis isn't wide enough to take a transverse engine/box, but I think they are the donors of the future.....

Cheers

Chris

DRC INDY 7 - 23/1/09 at 11:34 PM

or a coventry (firepump) climax engine

D Beddows - 23/1/09 at 11:53 PM

Suppose you could always build a Terrapin (plans still available from Alan Staniforth I believe) using a Mini engine and transmission - upgrade the engine with a cylinder head from a BMW K1100 engine to give you 16 valve twin cam engine and you'd have an authentic classic single seater with £150+ish bhp....... I know, I'll get my coat

hampshe - 24/1/09 at 08:17 AM

Look up Formula First, single seater one make series, with Fiesta transverse engine and box, similar to Formula Ford.
Series not run anymore, might be some for sale somewhere?

minitici - 24/1/09 at 09:36 AM

I've got a Renault NG3 transaxle (Fuego / 2L espace) with a 2L espace engine with all ancilliaries plus a spare transaxle. Came out of a single seater. PM me if you are interested
..... very cheap!

DIY Si - 24/1/09 at 06:02 PM

Got to admit, whilst I love BECs, and if I build one it will be a BEC, having a transaxle hanging out the back would look the part.

Triton - 25/1/09 at 03:36 PM

Bike motor is so much easier and lighter..

Mr Whippy - 26/1/09 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton

even I have to agree, on a 7, I think a car engines the way to go but on this tiny thing a BEC would be best, its just too light to require the over engineering of a car gearbox and engine. There a time and a place for CEC this just isn't one of them.

[Edited on 26/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

neilj37 - 26/1/09 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

even I have to agree, on a 7, I think a car engines the way to go but on this tiny thing a BEC would be best, its just too light to require the over engineering of a car gearbox and engine. There a time and a place for CEC this just isn't one of them.

Never thought i would hear the day where Mr Whippy used the words "a BEC would be best" LOL

Mr Whippy - 26/1/09 at 09:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Never thought i would hear the day where Mr Whippy used the words "a BEC would be best" LOL

just shows you I wasn't simply being stubborn

Mr Whippy - 26/1/09 at 02:35 PM

fitted to an lotus single seater Rescued attachment enginein.jpg
Rescued attachment enginein.jpg

bob - 2/2/09 at 03:19 PM

Well i've managed to find some info on audi 100/200 gearboxes,albeit from the haynes manual but it gives gear and final drive ratios.

bob - 2/2/09 at 03:42 PM

I have not managed to find any overall dimensions, i have a feeling the renault box may well be shorter,

If its fuego/espace i am presuming this would be the same as the renault 25 too ?