Board logo

PPC Day @ Blyton: Friday 28th March
yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 07:45 PM

Firstly, a hooooooooge thanks to Frank for organising it, and inviting us all to join in such a fantastic day.

From start to finish, nothing but good atmosphere in the Paddock, fantastic etiquette on track, good times, great slides, lots of laughs and even better (adithorp) tank slapper.

Really enjoyed the warm welcome considering I'm a newbie to this event - already looking forward to the next outing.

Great meeting new faces, putting names & usernames to them… sorry Ian, I just couldn't call you 'Oddified' in real life, felt strange.

I'll be putting my photos in here, along with my video footage. Yes Adi, including the last tussle between Jon Ison, You & I.

May I just announce, I hearby declare this is the first track day since kit car ownership started in 2012, that my car has come home, running, working, all wheels pointing the correct direction ever. Very happy Olly.

Looking forward to seeing other peoples footage, and reading their take on (what I thought) was a fantastic day.

Cheers all

PS: this update was brought to you by 7 espressos, 2 litres of Redbull, 5 ProPlus, 2 Twix bars, and a Jacket Potatoe @ Lunch (cheers Steve!)…. I was dying of manflu 24 hours ago!

welderman - 28/3/14 at 08:02 PM

Keep it coming

Jon Ison - 28/3/14 at 08:02 PM

Ditto opening line, superb effort by Frank, thank you.

Pretty much echo the above, saw absolutely zero dick head driving from anyone, (aside from the dummy I was sold at the chicane superbly friendly day, bit on the cold side mind, I too look forward to seeing the tank slapper when I came back around the tarmac looked like 27 F1 cars had been doing donuts so it must have been a good one, I caught a glimpse in my mirror (snigger) but thought it was just a standard "little incident" apparently not ?

All in superb day, glad I could be of a little assistance with the non conformist lines around a few of the bendy bits.

Any seen any wheel nuts ?

[Edited on 28/3/14 by Jon Ison]

yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 08:13 PM

Lack of wheel nuts is Chapter 4, Page 17 of the Excuse Book Jon, written by laptoprob him very self lol

Thanks again for an uber cool and fast passenger session Jon - learning your lines certainly made me quicker from there on in - so many many thanks

yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 08:19 PM

Not to flood this thread, but I have quite a lot of caffeine in my system to get rid of.

What I learned from this set of photos… no positive camber in roll - yeeeeehaaaaaa and my front brakes work

40inches - 28/3/14 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

and my front brakes work

Always a good thing.

MP3C - 28/3/14 at 08:48 PM

Looks like good fun!!!

Matt

adithorp - 28/3/14 at 09:12 PM

I had an eventful day.

Started of with first drive with a rebuilt engine and playing with the fueling cheking for leaks. All looked good.

That was until I hit a cone and took off one corner splitter, bent my under-tray and cracked the o/s side pod.

Then next run I let the Ison by and switching back onto the line lost the rear end... no biggy just a bit of grass. 1/2 lap later the temp is rising and I've got steam Pull over as the temp rockets and get towed back. Fortunatly the session was already red flagged as someone had spun and stalled... on my anti-freeze! Back in the paddock and I find a split hose. A trip into Gainsborough and I had a substitute and was back running after dinner... cautiously.

All looking good after so back to mapping/testing.

Then Jon and Yellow cab say they're going out for a play so I joined in and finished the day by signing my name on the track in rubber.

Thanks to Frank for organising and those who searched there kit for hose and those who persuaded me to go and find some rather than packing up and going home.

rdodger - 28/3/14 at 09:18 PM

Just like to echo what's already been said. Thanks Frank, we had a great day and did plenty of laps.

The standard of driving and courtesy on track was by far the best I have experienced on a track day so thanks all. Even when Emma had a go!

It was great to put some more faces to names and catch up with some friends.

Looking forward to the next one! Just need to wash the mud off the car

Does anyone have a link to the photographers website (if he has one)? I forgot to find him before we left.

[Edited on 28/3/14 by rdodger]

unijacko67 - 28/3/14 at 09:24 PM

Propper video of ppc Blyton

Ill post some pictures and a video later.

Thanks to Frank and everyone who make this a truly cracking day.

rdodger - 28/3/14 at 09:27 PM

This video is private

owelly - 28/3/14 at 09:28 PM

ETA: oh sweet baby feckin Jesus on a Grifter..!!

[Edited on 28/3/14 by owelly]

yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 09:28 PM

Unless this is a dirty video of You & Jayne…. it says its private

Set it to Public so we can all see you in action

rdodger - Nicks website is http://www.xtreme-sports-photography.co.uk

[Edited on 28/3/14 by yellowcab]

welderman - 28/3/14 at 09:33 PM

Cool video. Should be with the local loonies lol. High on helium too

unijacko67 - 28/3/14 at 09:34 PM

Sorry done it.

No it's the only one I can publish, Our Jayne is still rambling on about her outing in your car Olly. Nice one, she had a cracking day.

rdodger - 28/3/14 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Unless this is a dirty video of You & Jayne…. it says its private

Set it to Public so we can all see you in action

rdodger - Nicks website is http://www.xtreme-sports-photography.co.uk

Thanks Olly.

Andy D - 28/3/14 at 09:58 PM

Sounds like a good day was had!

Just watched the first few seconds of this vid and spotted two offs! who's the guilty partys? Yellow/ black seven and an orange Fury.

yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 10:02 PM

GUILTY!

Andy D - 28/3/14 at 10:08 PM

quote:
GUILTY!

Testing the beefed up uprights were you?

yellowcab - 28/3/14 at 10:15 PM

OK so here are some screen grabs from my GoPro footage for now - kinda sums up the day… tried to capture as many LCBers as possible, but never seem to be out at the same time as Daniel Mason or laptoprob

Trying to brake, and turn using these guys in front of you just simply doesn't work

As above… this blue cone is just a figment of your

OK no its not

Andrew in his s2000 Kitten, I marked him for a few laps to get some decent footage

rdodger in his Thruxton

Is this the way to Amerillo?

This is what warp speed looks like in the IsonBusa, there are 15 cars in this photo, but we're going so quick you cannae see em

Behind laptoprobs mate Graham in his C20LET

Mr Jon Ison himself

Precision driving, didn't even touch the cone (this time lol)

And the finalé goes to adithorp (tank slapper trophy winner), who didn't really know which way he wanted to go… I was travelling at 115mph on the first screen shot… and the rest are in sequence

ali f27 - 28/3/14 at 10:23 PM

looks like a great day well done guys would love to have a day up north someware

adithorp - 28/3/14 at 10:24 PM

Also Guilty. If you squint, you can see the coolant spraying out the back from my split hose and onto the rears tyres. I think was the cause as it was twitchy on the next lap (until the temp went up and I stopped). My puddle was probably what caught out the Clio and probably the Probe (?) at the chicane.

Yellowcab that was only 4 slaps. You missed one

[Edited on 28/3/14 by adithorp]

unijacko67 - 28/3/14 at 10:41 PM

A Litter of Kittens.

laptoprob - 28/3/14 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Lack of wheel nuts is Chapter 4, Page 17 of the Excuse Book Jon, written by laptoprob him very self lol

Thanks again for an uber cool and fast passenger session Jon - learning your lines certainly made me quicker from there on in - so many many thanks

Always check ya nuts Oliver

Last thing you want is the marshall coming over with one of your nuts in his hand and saying is this yours? It still feels warm

daniel mason - 28/3/14 at 11:21 PM

anyone manage any rough idea on lap times via youtube go/pro?
from my footage on the soft but very old tyres its saying anywhere between 66-69secs on a clear circuit. and the sprint circuit (start line to exit of last corner 69secs (without a launching start) on the only video i have!

unijacko67 - 28/3/14 at 11:29 PM

Dan you where clearly one of if not the fastest on track today, Daaaaaaaaaan Mason.

owelly - 29/3/14 at 08:35 AM

It goes without saying, who was the quickest......

adithorp - 29/3/14 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
It goes without saying, who was the quickest......

Don't kid yourself... it wasn't you.

owelly - 29/3/14 at 08:47 AM

Jealousy is a cruel mistress Adi.......

It was pure coincidence that everyone just happened to be looking the other way when I did my fastest lap. Average speed was 124mph...... Probably.

fha772 - 29/3/14 at 08:51 AM

I just wanted to say, a big thank you to everyone who came to the track day, to Nick of xtreme photography, and to Richard and his team at Blyton Park, you all made it a great day.
Plus, the day raised over £1100, for The Showman's Children's Charity, which is massively appreciated.

I'm starting to look into organising another day in September, it's looking like I'll be Friday 19th September, I'll let you all know once it's confirmed.

Cheers Frank.

Friday 19th September, date to be confirmed

Nickp - 29/3/14 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67
Propper video of ppc Blyton

Ill post some pictures and a video later.

Thanks to Frank and everyone who make this a truly cracking day.

Yep, that sums up the pre- trackday drinkypoos

daniel mason - 29/3/14 at 09:27 AM

it was a great day allround. there was some interesting cars there too. i really liked the look of rdodger's thruxton. frank and the ppc guys once again did a cracking job too! as did richard and the catering staff
the locostbuilders are some of the nicest,most helpful,decent guys ive ever met on a circuit and most are very quick on limited budgets. thats the way it should be special thanks to steve who sorted my brakes out and jon ison for my new speedo!
one of my favourite track days ever i think!

unijacko67 - 29/3/14 at 02:12 PM

Small video from Blyton with the three Kittens on track at the same time, Just see how fast froggy becomes a mere dot in the distance from the start line. It was good to watch from my car as you could see froggy's wheels spinning up even on the straights as he was running an open diff (seriously fast car) as is Ian's as both cars where not running at max power, then the session was red flagged as there was a small car fire. I had a run out later behind Ian, but only for a lap as I forgot to fill up with petrol and just managed to get to the pit before completely running out, Good to meet up.

daniel mason - 29/3/14 at 05:16 PM

seems like you were well on pace there jacko and could have gone a bit faster with a clear track?
probably the fastest 3 kittens ever in one place at the same time!

yellowcab - 29/3/14 at 05:19 PM

Likewise Dan, totally agree with you there. All vastly different engines I believe too? Wasn't there an NA Cosworth, a Turbo'd V-Tech and your s2000?

Daniel - your timings, are they sprint laps? or full laps? I think my best was 70secs full lap

unijacko67 - 29/3/14 at 05:38 PM

I was only keeping up cos I had my slicks on (well AO48 as Ive looked again) and could catch up on the corners, the other two cars had road tyres I think.

[Edited on 29/3/14 by unijacko67]

yellowcab - 29/3/14 at 05:46 PM

The video of me marking you for a few laps is good Andrew, think you'll enjoy watching it

froggy - 29/3/14 at 06:32 PM

id have got past ian but i only had one wheel drive

yellowcab - 29/3/14 at 06:34 PM

My first video rendered & uploaded, takes bloody forever in 1080p HD…

Nothing really ground breaking, this is just me marking/ following Grayme Lidster (laptoprobs mate) in his Tiger 2.0 16v Turbo C20LET (blue one), and in front of him, is a Tiger 1800 Zetec I think… before I get by

Full screen, speakers on, change quality to 1080p HD

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0t23uHiSw&list=UUCpP5dFARRhF0vlmAKtEF4A

unijacko67 - 29/3/14 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by froggy
id have got past ian but i only had one wheel drive

You can't really tell on the video but it was picking/spining/smoking the inside rear, looked ace at 70 mph.

Olly, I'm dreading the video as I missed a couple of gears and looked as ragged as you can get, but good fun.

yellowcab - 29/3/14 at 07:40 PM

OK second video is live, a little more interesting than the first (imo)

Just marking Andrew for him as he asked for some footage for a few laps… after we passed the Astra MK3 with the Saab Turbo engine, Andrew had some difficulties with some gears heading into Bishops.

Again, speakers up, change quality over to 1080p and full screen it baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6AG3Zu5XY

unijacko67 - 29/3/14 at 09:33 PM

Cheers Olly, Cheers for the passenger rides as it made our lot's day, haha hehe

owelly - 29/3/14 at 10:00 PM

I found it strange that folks associated my car with an enquiry about their health. I ask if they want a drive/ride and they reply to a question I didn't ask: "It's OK. I'm fine..."

yellowcab - 29/3/14 at 10:27 PM

LOL Owelly - I never even got asked you cheeky mare!

OK, so now we're getting serious, mid afternoon it seemed a chunk of people either had gone home, or just simply wasn't on track, so I went out as a lone-ranger and decided to fly solo having warmed my tyres up a little (albeit still not enough)

First time on my own of the day - had passengers the rest of the time - added a stopwatch to these 5 fast laps, and I'm incredibly happy with my '1m 9.250sec' time… considering I thought I was quick last time with a bent upright doing 1m 14s laps

Using 6th gear more regular, aswell as staying in 4th through Bunga Bunga & Bishops (thanks to a passenger lap with Jon Ison)

You know the drill, full screen, speakers up, change quality to 1080p… and enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zoIQmjmDE

owelly - 29/3/14 at 10:55 PM

The keys were in my car all day. You could have helped yourself.

froggy - 29/3/14 at 11:35 PM

heres another view of the kitten convoy

http://youtu.be/EAb3bDHITOE

[Edited on 29/3/14 by froggy]

Andy D - 30/3/14 at 10:13 AM

quote:
LOL Owelly - I never even got asked you cheeky mare!

OK, so now we're getting serious, mid afternoon it seemed a chunk of people either had gone home, or just simply wasn't on track, so I went out as a lone-ranger and decided to fly solo having warmed my tyres up a little (albeit still not enough)

First time on my own of the day - had passengers the rest of the time - added a stopwatch to these 5 fast laps, and I'm incredibly happy with my '1m 9.250sec' time… considering I thought I was quick last time with a bent upright doing 1m 14s laps

Using 6th gear more regular, aswell as staying in 4th through Bunga Bunga & Bishops (thanks to a passenger lap with Jon Ison)

You know the drill, full screen, speakers up, change quality to 1080p… and enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zoIQmjmDE

Looking very quick there Olly.. don't think my old beast will circulate that quickly!

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 10:38 AM

Cheers Andy - it felt very dialled and planted again which was nice.

I thought 1:09.250 was my fastest lap, but just uploading the video of Me, Jon Ison & adithorp having a play, and when I had the IsonBusa behind me I managed a 1:09.000… the pressure!

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 10:43 AM

i wish id have had a couple more laps of fuel in the tank! as by the time id managed to catch up to you 3 having a blast i ran out

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 10:47 AM

Why do you not run bigger tank Dan, and just not fill it?

At least then you have the option of playing should you want to, at a track day...

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 10:58 AM

then i run out of tyres
the car is not a circuit racer and i only came along to get some time behind the wheel before the sprinting starts! wont be doing anymore track days from now on.
not fancy getting a race licence and doing a few events with me this year? will be great fun

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 11:03 AM

I already have a race licence - just needs renewing

Sounds like a plan - especially now I feel my car is somewhere where it needs to be…. I need a little competition in my life lol

Tell me, your 66-69second laps, were they full laps? or sprint circuit laps?

unijacko67 - 30/3/14 at 11:05 AM

Did anyone see what happened regarding me getting waved off the track after my last session late on in the day. The car apparently created a huge smoke screen and I'm trying to decide what created it. I have an adapted baffled sump which holds an extra 1.5 ltrs of oil than standard and think either under braking or hard cornering the oil has got over the baffle and caught between windage tray and pistons and been forced up past the rings or excessive oil has ended up in the head and been sucked through the breather and into the inlet. Some of the s2000 chaps with standard baffled sumps state to not over fill and keep the oil level in the middle of the dipstick marks, I've been running mine full so I hope this was the problem.

Did it look a bit like this clip I've found.

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 11:26 AM

my only footage i still have on my camera (didnt really use it) was a (slow) standing start without a launch,on my first ever laps on the slicks. standing start to apex of the last corner was 69 secs but i could have pushed a lot harder and had a launching start which would comfortably shave a few seconds off that!
my rolling lap i had to time from apex t1 (on first lap) to apex t1 on lap 2 which again was relatively comfortable. just over 69 secs
later in the day especially the last run when you were with adi and john i was pushing very very hard (when i got used to the car/tyre) as i could see john way in the distance. completely flat from bunga bunga to last corner and the guys stood on the banking said i was gaining quickly until i ran out of juice! great day and some great driving. i should take more footage like you do so i have better reference points but like i say.on the sprints the time on the clock will do the talking then we dont have to
let me know if interested and i can give you calender dates and events. theres a good weekend hillclimb at olivers mount in may if you fancy it?

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 11:27 AM

The final tussle of the day between Me, Jon Ison & Adi Thorp…

First lap was with Jon hunting me down - and pushed me to do a 1:09.000s (cheers pal)
Then Jon went in front to show me how it was done
Then Adi joined in the fun towards the end.

Quality for some reason not so good, but good enough to see whats going on, and the speed & gear I'm in

Enjoy - possibly the best video of them all… (I encourage you to watch it to the end… eh Adi…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so_i3ZaEtHY

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 11:28 AM

yes andrew but not as bad as that clip!

Andy D - 30/3/14 at 11:53 AM

He he! I bet the skid marks weren't just on the road!

hillbillyracer - 30/3/14 at 12:47 PM

I'm a little late to this thread, but would just like to add my thanks to everyone (not least Frank & the staff at Blyton) for a great day, it was all that has been said in this thread. A long trek for us beyond Carlisle but worth it, we were the scruffy red Astra being pushed a little harder than it's tyres were happy with!
Mods to suspension & brakes proved worthwhile & the car came home in good order except a tiny coolant leak which forced us to mis our last run out.

adithorp - 30/3/14 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
He he! I bet the skid marks weren't just on the road!

Kept it on the black stuff... can't see an issue.

Note to self, don't pootle around all day not pushing, then expect to stay with Jon who's been "on it" (as usual) all day. I've 360'd it there before now... so I'm improving

Ollie, that vid' really shows the difference in my longer gearing and higher rev range. I'm in second to start the lap, can even use 1st if I want to play silly buggers (though the new engine is spinning up the rears in 2nd... easily). I think I'm back to second for both the chicanes as well.

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 03:41 PM

Glad you liked the video was a good day all told.

Just uploading my Blyton-Bloopers now

You'll notice a reoccurring theme:

> My car is setup for a driver only, passengers unbalance the car (Chapter 3, Page 14)
> I couldn't get to grips with Bishops, until Sir Ison shown me how (Chapter 1, Page 1)
> Cold tyres don't like heavy braking (Chapter 7, Page 43)

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 04:17 PM

So here we have 'yellowcabs Blyton Bloopers'…

Starring rdodger, femster87, unijacko67's wife, daughter & son in law, daveb666, Jon Ison

Change quality to 1080p & enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Yfvbi26e0

yellowcab - 30/3/14 at 05:51 PM

On board with Jon Ison… Olly now needs more powahhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMdfgwx6hsY

Nickp - 30/3/14 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
let me know if interested and i can give you calender dates and events. theres a good weekend hillclimb at olivers mount in may if you fancy it?

Dan, Olivers Mnt is my home circuit (been a Scarboro boy), used to race round there as a 17yr old in my Mini. Which weekend is it? Might be able to come along and even provide accommodation in the form of Da Scheissewagen

me! - 30/3/14 at 06:21 PM

You boys don't hang about! Looks like fun, and like you've done a good job with the Indy Olly. I remember seeing video when you first got it handling like a greased eel!

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 07:27 PM

Saturday 3rd and sunday 4th may nick. my first ever hillclimb so not expecting much! pop down and say hello if you want

Nickp - 30/3/14 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Saturday 3rd and sunday 4th may nick. my first ever hillclimb so not expecting much! pop down and say hello if you want

Ta Dan, might make a weekend of it. Will let you know. You planning on kipping in the car mate?

ken walton - 30/3/14 at 09:59 PM

Thanks Frank for organising the track day. i brought my family for a days fun in my superlight darkart (the red one with union jack on it ) they all had a great day going around. Great friendly bunch thanks to all

daniel mason - 30/3/14 at 10:05 PM

either car or tent nick. either way ill be on site with a few mates all weekend

carpmart - 31/3/14 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ken walton
Thanks Frank for organising the track day. i brought my family for a days fun in my superlight darkart (the red one with union jack on it ) they all had a great day going around. Great friendly bunch thanks to all

Ken - you've made it onto Locostbuilders site, well done and not before time!!!!!!!

carpmart - 31/3/14 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ken walton

Ken - you've made it onto Locostbuilders site, well done and not before time!!!!!!!

Oddified - 31/3/14 at 02:28 PM

A few days behind everyone else, but yes what a great day of fun!. I'd never been to Blyton park before but i'll be back in the future

Ian

yellowcab - 1/4/14 at 05:14 PM

Someone else must have more video footage / GoPro screen grabs / photos from Nick @ Xtreme that they'd like to share?!

C'mon - don't be shy - Daniel Mason, I wanna see your footage

daniel mason - 1/4/14 at 06:03 PM

I cant find my usb to upload it.although ive only got a couple of slowish laps of footage. a 1.09 out lap and a 1.10 carving through traffic. I have viewed it on my gopro lcd back pack a few times but that's it!

yellowcab - 1/4/14 at 06:06 PM

Slowish laps, 1m 09s, nice. lol

That was my fastest lol

daniel mason - 1/4/14 at 06:33 PM

id have not got close on the hard Michelins fron the previous time we were there. the avons were so much better

Jon Ison - 1/4/14 at 08:10 PM

They where as I commented Friday softer than my mattress, you must lose 20bhp just to get them unstuck

daniel mason - 1/4/14 at 08:19 PM

i stalled it several times tryig to get a good launch. more revs needed

rdodger - 4/4/14 at 04:57 PM

My pictures are here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1438637149710297.1073741829.1414415458799133&type=1

They all appear to be of me!