Board logo

Mk2 Golf indicator failure
James - 9/2/09 at 12:47 PM

All of the indicators have failed on my MK2 Golf.

Obviously a fuse or the relay is first thought but:

Bit of an odd one though, because they all still work if I press the Hazard button.

For some reason the indicator 'tell-tale' LED is on dimly all the time (with ignition on).

If I press the indicator lever then the LED 'tell-tale' flashes brighter at the correct speed and brightness.

Am I being silly and missing something obvious?
I would assume the indicator lever had gone but for the fact it operates the 'tell-tale' LED correctly.

Can anyone advise? I'm scared to drive it and get pulled by the Police... or cause an accident for that matter!

Cheers,
James

nick205 - 9/2/09 at 01:00 PM

Maybe a partial short somewhere?

With hazards on, do all 6 bulbs work correctly - have seen odd behaviour before when a bulb has blown.

As said, check fuse(s) and relay first, then column switch.

Mr Whippy - 9/2/09 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James

I'm scared to drive it and get pulled by the Police... or cause an accident for that matter!

Cheers,
James

thats a laugh the police never use their indicators

BenB - 9/2/09 at 01:47 PM

Is there a seperate indicator relay? Some cars have a seperate one for indicator and hazards...

02GF74 - 9/2/09 at 02:04 PM

I would suspect the flasher relay has gone to VW heaven- that is where I'd look first. I though most cars had there are 2 separate units?

k33ts - 9/2/09 at 03:57 PM

could be the hazard switch itself or just down to a bad earth.

James - 9/2/09 at 06:48 PM

Thanks for the advice every one.

Hmmm, well I've been a bit pathetic in this weather and not really done much other than found that one of the indicators has gone.

And when I say gone, I mean actually gone, the front bulb holder and loom up to the connector have disappeared leaving just the loom!

So maybe damp has got into the connector and is causing a short?

Bugger!

Lets hope it's dry tomorrow. Anyone got a MK2 Golf, big bumper, RHS indicator bulb holder?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 9/2/09 by James]

hillbillyracer - 10/2/09 at 11:12 PM

I've got one of the said bulb indicator holder but I'm afriad it's staying attached to my mk2 big bumper Golf!
The indicators on it did a strange thing for a while, I pulled up at a cash machine & had the sidelights on & just stopped it & pulled the key out with the indicator still flashing & the car kept running! I assumed it was feeding the ignition circuit from the sidelights through the indicators (on a VW the side lights & indicators are linked so you can leave one side light on while parked) but thought it cant be right. A few weeks later the ignition switch failed (a common fault) & with a new switch fitted the running with no keys thing stopped.

02GF74 - 11/2/09 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Hmmm, well I've been a bit pathetic in this weather and not really done much other than found that one of the indicators has gone.

And when I say gone, I mean actually gone, the front bulb holder and loom up to the connector have disappeared leaving just the loom!

Well in that case, what you said earlier is not true:

quote:
All of the indicators have failed on my MK2 Golf.

James - 13/2/09 at 06:31 PM

Problem fixed...

extremely complex and difficult fix...

fuse had blown!

Weather some water had got into the connector where it was missing and blown the fuse I don't know. So maybe it'll go again... but with the new fuse and the bulb holder replaced it's all good.

Thanks for the advice people.

Cheers,
James