Board logo

replacing cams - zxr400
Miks15 - 4/11/09 at 05:01 PM

Hi all,

Im currently at uni as some of you may know, and my motorbikes at home with no cams in at the minute, they were niced a chewed up. So i sent them off for re-machining. They are now sat at home waiting for me. Im coming home next week for a couple of days anyway so im hoping to spend the time getting it fixed but i dont wana come home to find im missing a vital part so i cant do it.
So my question is what do i need to replace the cams, check the clearances and get it running again. Heres what ive already thought of:

New oil + filter,
Workshop manual
standard tools (ive already taken it apart so have all i need there)

and for the clearances:
micrometer(for checking shims)
feeler gauge

can anyoe think of anything else i need? or any advice on doing this?

thanks

Mikkel

londonsean69 - 4/11/09 at 05:09 PM

DTI for checking you are at TDC when timing them up??

Sean

will121 - 4/11/09 at 05:11 PM

have you got a service manual? ive got copy for a ZXR400H model if you want me to try scan pages and email?

i loved mine too

[Edited on 4/11/09 by will121]

scootz - 4/11/09 at 05:19 PM

Can't add to your list, but have to commend your choice of bike... my first sports-bike!

Blue 'H' plate ZXR400 with Micron can and Pirelli Dragon Corsa's... happy days!

Miks15 - 4/11/09 at 05:25 PM

without sounding stupid, whats a DTI? Its all still aligned with the timing marks that it was set on before i took the cams out so its still at TDC.

Thanks will, i have a copy of the service manual but thanks for the offer.

Verynice scootz, mines a black P plate with a micron can theres a couple pics in my archive

will121 - 4/11/09 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
without sounding stupid, whats a DTI? Its all still aligned with the timing marks that it was set on before i took the cams out so its still at TDC.

Thanks will, i have a copy of the service manual but thanks for the offer.

Verynice scootz, mines a black P plate with a micron can theres a couple pics in my archive

DTI=Dial Test Indicator for measuring deflection. but dont think you need one as cams have timing marks i believe, i would say just check cam followers if cam was warn and cam chain tensioner