Board logo

BALLS
cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 03:59 PM

Balls..

balls,

balls, balls, balls.

BALLS

jeffw - 14/11/09 at 04:01 PM

How, in Gods name. did you do that then ? I guess because you are posting on here you are OK.

[Edited on 14/11/09 by jeffw]

prawnabie - 14/11/09 at 04:01 PM

How the feck???

Don't let steve see this thread lol

Steve G - 14/11/09 at 04:01 PM

Bummer - i've seen better parking mate!! The wind was strong around your way hey?? Hope you get it sorted soon and you are ok.

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 04:03 PM

I was testing my new hydraulics, linky, turns out they were a little on the powerful side

there goes my driving career.

1. cant afford a new car
2. cant afford the astronomical insurance
3. cant trust myself to drive anymore

I'm fine, just crawled out the back

[Edited on 14/11/09 by cd.thomson]

fesycresy - 14/11/09 at 04:04 PM

Time to change your avatar

MikeR - 14/11/09 at 04:07 PM

I'm guessing lost it round the bend, across the road, over correct & back onto your side of the road, up the kerb, into the hedge, roll and rest.

Mate did something similar on a dry road with me as a passenger (except he was driving like a knob and couldn't blame the wet road / wind). Ours ended up a little worse than yours.

As others have said - you're in one piece (assuming from the photos) so that's the important bit. Metal can be pulled out / welded / replaced.

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I'm guessing lost it round the bend, across the road, over correct & back onto your side of the road, up the kerb, into the hedge, roll and rest.

hole in one, the overcorrection was a result of trying to avoid someone in the other lane. I decided hedge was a better option.

police have been fully informed, not rang insurance yet but ive got nothing to hide.

I wasnt speeding, but got caught out on the wet poor road surface, end came round a little and that was it.

Stupid stupid stupid.

londonsean69 - 14/11/09 at 04:17 PM

In that case I am absolutely gutted for you. They are mint little cars. At least you are alright

Sean

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I was testing my new hydraulics, linky, turns out they were a little on the powerful side

Please please please tell me you are taking the p155?????

Hydraulics on a 205 is just plain nasty

[Edited on 14/11/09 by londonsean69]

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 04:20 PM

yes im definitely taking the p155, it was 100% original, perfect in fact.

the love of my life you could say

londonsean69 - 14/11/09 at 04:22 PM

Sorry, edited original post rather than replying.

In that case I am absolutely gutted for you. They are mint little cars. At least you are alright

Sean

quote:
yes im definitely taking the p155, it was 100% original, perfect in fact.

the love of my life you could say

speedyxjs - 14/11/09 at 04:23 PM

Were you fully comp?

Confused but excited. - 14/11/09 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by londonsean69

Sean

quote:

Please please please tell me you are taking the p155?????

Hydraulics on a 205 is just plain nasty

What? You can't tell the difference between a white 205 and a green piece of cack?

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 04:24 PM

i am fully comp but could do with some advice claiming? with my excess ill probably get £900 back and then have to buy a new car and take the insurance hike for the next 30 years

if i dont claim can i just start from square one or am have i shafted myself now no matter what?

Fozzie - 14/11/09 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Mate did something similar on a dry road with me as a passenger (except he was driving like a knob and couldn't blame the wet road / wind). Ours ended up a little worse than yours.

As others have said - you're in one piece (assuming from the photos) so that's the important bit. Metal can be pulled out / welded / replaced.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh ......you beat me to it!

I was discussing my theory with O.H. about to write .... and you had replied.....

Craig, glad you are ok, that IS the main thing..

Fozzie

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 04:37 PM

thanks for the kind words people, they mean a lot.

i guarantee everyones bad thoughts about my driving don't even touch on how i feel about myself right now!

iscmatt - 14/11/09 at 04:45 PM

balls, that is not good! I managed to put my indy into the verge last weekend, i'll have to get a pic up, luckily no damage at all for me ue to the soft mud, it was very wet.

02GF74 - 14/11/09 at 05:09 PM

well you're ok - that is the main ting.

quote:

i guarantee everyones bad thoughts about my driving don't even touch on how i feel about myself right now!

give a couple of days and you'll be back to normal, a couple of weeks and you'll be laughing at it in the pub.

we all make mistakes ...but there seems to be a spate of accidents of late.

[Edited on 14/11/09 by 02GF74]

Steve Hignett - 14/11/09 at 05:11 PM

Really sorry to hear that mate...

205 on ebay

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 05:14 PM

lol steve, if i cant drive a tired 1.9 im not going to be able to pull off driving a mi16 tricked out 205 in a million years.

does anyone know about insurance? is it worth not claiming? i dont need the car for work, i commute on the train.. i have my cars purely for weekend toys.

bmseven - 14/11/09 at 05:15 PM

quote:
i am fully comp but could do with some advice claiming? with my excess ill probably get £900 back and then have to buy a new car and take the insurance hike for the next 30 years

if i dont claim can i just start from square one or am have i shafted myself now no matter what?

If no one else was involved you dont need to tell the insurance company, buy another 205 use bits from yours and just change the insurance over

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 05:16 PM

could i do that, or are you joking?

Steve Hignett - 14/11/09 at 05:19 PM

He isn't joking

Fozzie - 14/11/09 at 05:19 PM

I am NOT an insurance expert, but as far as I can recall, if nothing/no one else was involved, and no damage done to roads lamp posts etc, then whether you claim or not is down to you....

Fozzie

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 05:20 PM

*disappears to look at 1.6 gti's on PH*

steve m - 14/11/09 at 05:44 PM

"How the feck???

Don't let steve see this thread lol""

hahahaha

I did laugh at that comment

Richard Quinn - 14/11/09 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
I am NOT an insurance expert, but as far as I can recall, if nothing/no one else was involved, and no damage done to roads lamp posts etc, then whether you claim or not is down to you....

Fozzie
and hedgerows! Seriously! Mate of mine put his car through a hedge upside down suffering some bad injuries in the process. The farmer was there before the police!

BenB - 14/11/09 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Fozzie
and hedgerows! Seriously! Mate of mine put his car through a hedge upside down suffering some bad injuries in the process. The farmer was there before the police!

Did he say "get out of my field" and wave a shotgun in a traditional farmer manner?

Fozzie - 14/11/09 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Fozzie

Richard, I did put the all important 'etc' ....

Fozzie

McLannahan - 14/11/09 at 06:35 PM

Craig - Gutted for you. Looked like a spanker!

I'd buy another and swap the bits over. Scrap value of the old one will help towards it.

Interior in good nick? Half leather version? Might be worth a few quid too..

I'd not claim for that unless it can't be avoided? Buy another and get back on the road!

All the best

norfolkluego - 14/11/09 at 06:39 PM

Craig,
Check your policy carefully before you decide what to do, depending on how it's worded you won't necessarily lose all of your NCD, depending on the value of the claim you may keep some, very much down to the fine print, check.
As for claiming, as said, no injuries or third part damage, up to you, if there was outstanding finance though you may have to claim. Also depending on the damage if you claim the insurer might right it off.

iank - 14/11/09 at 06:40 PM

I'd avoid the insurance if you can afford not to, they will get more money back over the years than they pay you out.

Glad you're ok, damp roads can catch out anyone in a lightweight car (most people blame 'a patch of diesel' on the road )

May I be the first to suggest the obligatory bottle of T-cut

Steve G - 14/11/09 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
May I be the first to suggest the obligatory bottle of T-cut

You cant say that.................... as you forgot to mention the duct tape to go with it!!!

As above though - probably not worth claiming as you have to declare claims for 5 years. Might be worth running the scenario through an online price comparison site though - deduct 2 years no claims from what you have now and tick the "yes" box to having made a claim

[Edited on 14/11/09 by Steve G]

Dangle_kt - 14/11/09 at 07:27 PM

I wouldnt claim personally, as you will pay back the value of the car over the next 5 years insuirance premiums.

This is especially true if the cars you buy are performance cars, as the premium will be high already without the % hike of a fault accident.

if you are only using them as a weekend toy then I guess that would be the situation.

I have had a few accidents on bikes where I dropped it or whatever, insurance dont need to know.

there is also the possibilty of buying a super cheap "track day only" 205 and reusing your current vin (and thereby insurance, tax disc, MOT...) very naughty I know, and you wouldn't dream of it as a way of getting back on the road in the cheapest way possible

speedyxjs - 14/11/09 at 07:30 PM

Some of our vans have had some 'bumps' in the past and we tend to try to avoid going through insurance as the excess isn't much less than the repair (probably not the case in this instance)

Staple balls - 14/11/09 at 07:32 PM

I'm no expert, but I think the rubber side is meant to be on the bottom

Sucks about the car, but at least you're undamaged.

Liam - 14/11/09 at 07:41 PM

Ooops!

Gutted for you - she was a beauty

I too question the financial sense of making the insurance claim, which in turn makes me question why you've been paying for fully comp insurance in the first place?

Liam

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 07:46 PM

believe or not but the fully comp was cheaper than tpft!

I'm only 22 and I only have 1 years NCB.

I think i'm probably not going to claim and just move my insurance over my learner brothers 1.3 fiesta slowmobile.

having real trouble coming to terms with taking ten steps back into the "remedial" school of driving where I have to drive a car of a 17 YO.

if anybody wants anything from the 205 let me know!

steve m - 14/11/09 at 08:03 PM

I want the roof

02GF74 - 14/11/09 at 08:04 PM

quote:

has to be surely?

you would claim if you needed the cash to pays for damage you caused or repair/replacement of your car.

even if say a third party i.e. a car was damaged, I would have thought even then if you paid what they were claiming, you could do it out of yourpocket without claiingt on your insurance - that situation does not apply here.

when getting an insurance quote, tjhey ask for any claims, your fault of not, in the last 3 or 5 years. anythig they pay out, they will claw pack with interest.

wot's the 205 worth BTW (in its before condtion)?

what you should be worried about more is if mr plod get's involved and get you done of dangerous or whatever driving resulting in points - that is not good.

[Edited on 14/11/09 by 02GF74]

cd.thomson - 14/11/09 at 08:52 PM

i bought it for £1500, which is the going rate. not sure what the book price is for them though, less i imagine.

Plod was involved. Even tried to "entrap" me with "i bet you were going down here at some whack werent you, like everyone does! I mean even I do 60 down here. What speed do you reckon you'd got it up to?" followed quickly by "its a good job you only had a few to drink last night"

cheeky!

But they've recorded it as no injury single vehicle RTA. Hedge was a bit of a mess but he specifically said he wasnt going to bother recording that.

snapper - 15/11/09 at 06:28 AM

205's are a bit livelly the slightest lift and your going sideways.
I had a similar problem with a 309 GTI too fast in, understeer, lift off, snap oversteer, over corrected, snapped the other way, bent the rear axle, sill door.
Got the insurance, bought back the car, rebuilt it complete with secondhand beam then spent ages trying to get an engineers report because the insurance company would not insure without one

Ninehigh - 15/11/09 at 11:45 AM

I had to claim for a single vehicle accident a few years ago, total cost to insurer £3400 minus my excess. Tbh it didn't jump up that much but it might be worth having a look at insurance quotes before looking at the car.

I'm now 29 and I have 2 accidents and 2 speeding tickets on my name and to be fair my quotes aren't astronomical (about £6-700 for me and clean-sheet missus on an 05 2ltd mondeo, I have 0 no claims).

If you don't claim you have a bunch of 205 parts to flog and your insurance is unaffected (they're only concerned with how much they have to pay out with accidents). If you do claim (provided it's written off) you'll have no excess to pay and a cheque for another car

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 15/11/09 at 01:01 PM

the only thing i would be worried about would be the next tiem i got insurance - they do ask
'have you had any accidents, claims or convictions in the last ..... however many years'

if you can get round that i would just not claim and save for another car - if its a write off the claim may jump by 25% - mine did when i wrote my car off

coozer - 15/11/09 at 01:37 PM

When I binned my MNR the claim was for £3000.. add that to the £4500 I claimed for bike accident 4 3/4 years ago and the policy on the MNR has gone down BUT, the tpft on my Rover TD has doubled despite 6 years ncb on that..

cd.thomson - 15/11/09 at 02:00 PM

looking into insurance today and it looks like with a £2500 claim (way over what it should be for a total loss) and no NCB it will cost the same to insure myself on my brothers car as my insurance costs now .

So my options appear to be:

Pay for the car to be returned to me (-£200??) strip her out and sell all the bits (+£200) and transfer the insurance over so that when renewal comes around I have an unloaded premium and 2 years NCB

OR

make the claim, I think my excess is £350 but could be £600 as I'm not sure how it works (the letter is unclear) so I'll get something under £900 back. Move my insurance onto my brothers car which wont cost any more than it does now. Then have to lump the fact im 1 1/2 years behind on my NCB and that insurance on the Dax might be difficult/expensive. Oh, and I wont be able to have a "fun" tin top until I'm 27.

Too many variables are making my head hurt.

I think if I had protected 6 years NCB and and a 10k car I would have to claim, and I definitely wouldnt if I had no NCB and a £500 car.

[Edited on 15/11/09 by cd.thomson]

JoelP - 15/11/09 at 02:30 PM

remember, if you ever need an excuse for crashing, just say you sneezed. You cant be blamed for that! Say it got on the mud and then went sideways, and you're a hero for avoiding the bus full of kids coming the other way.

Ninehigh - 15/11/09 at 05:11 PM

Problem is sneeze or hero call or being a tit if the insurance company has to pay out money that's what counts. I asked about this when there was no "stolen" option in the claims part of the form and I was told to put it down as a fault claim because they paid out for it

JoelP - 15/11/09 at 05:29 PM

i meant its a good excuse for the police, as i wouldnt dream of claiming for a one car accident. That just makes you look daft to the insurers, they'd probably but a special note about you on the computer!

scudderfish - 15/11/09 at 06:51 PM

Insurance is not clear cut. I used to have an Elise and I stuffed it off a roundabout. It went back to Hethel and took 3 months to fix. They took the engine and interior out of my car and built a new one. Lotus were only charging £28ph, but still came up with a bill of £14k. At the time I was insured with Norwich Union for £1k. Come renewal time, I gave Elephant a ring and they came back with £900. I seriously bent the car, lost my no claims, and got £100 of my premium. Go figure.

mediabloke - 16/11/09 at 12:06 AM

Your call, I guess, but with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't think of making the claim - even with a >£5k car. Before a couple of non-fault accidents (my car parked both times, one vandalism, one hit & run), my insurer reduced my NCB by 2 years for each claim and my renewal premium nearly doubled - on 3 cars inc. my Indy.

Had I paid for the repairs myself, we could have saved the cost in premiums and still have full NCB.

indykid - 16/11/09 at 12:17 AM

i'm still fending off insurance premiums due to this

i wouldn't claim for anything under £2k if you're young. i'm 24 now and last year's premium for my 1.6 import mx5 was £1100. without the claim, i'd've saved about £250-300 based on online quotes but went with flux in the end.

still worth having fully comp insurance though imho. if you have an accident that involves more than just your car, you still get reimbursed for your car then. for the pittance extra, it's worth it i'd say.

i don't know the total value of my claim all told but i wrote off a less than 12month old corsa and my car spent 5 months in storage at a local recovery garage and MK while i tried to undo MK's feck up with the assessors.

congratulations on a spectacular accident though!
tom

Alex. - 16/11/09 at 09:14 AM

Just a thought, but when you get any insurance quotes they ask if you have had any ACCIDENTS, claims or convictions in the last 5 years.

So even if you don't claim you have to tell any insurer about this accident. I do believe that you have to tell your current insurer about this accident even if you are not going to make a claim.

Sorry to bring this up, but it would be best to check with your insurer, just in case they find out and invalidate the insurance on your brothers box...

Alex.

[Edited on 16/11/09 by Alex.]

cd.thomson - 16/11/09 at 09:24 AM

when I've been getting quotes the only thing thats asked is if I've made a claim in the last 5 years.