Board logo

Bad day......
AndyW - 16/3/12 at 06:24 PM

Its been a really stressful year at work. Usual story, not enough time to get everything done, expected to work every evening when I get home. Had a "heated" discussion with one of the bosses today, accusations flew, and I have ended up quitting with immediate effect.

I know thats really not good, trust me Ive been at home all afternoon trying to find a way to resolve it, but its just not there. When I look back over the last year I really haven't enjoyed myself. In fact I cant remember when I last did enjoy myself at work.

So here I am going into whats going to seem like a very long weekend with nothing but this sick in the stomache feeling. I have already spoken with several agencies and have 2 interviews next week. Although getting to them is going to be a challenge as my company car is likely to be collected Monday am.

Sorry for the long winded post, just I dont think I have felt this sad for a very long time. Silly I know, a grown man pooring out his feeling over the net.

Lets hope that in the next few days I can start to feel a little more positive and look forward to the future.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great weekend. I doubt I will even open the garage door as I will either smash the kit into a million peices or just stick it up for sale....

Andy

gavin174 - 16/3/12 at 06:39 PM

Andy..

I have been there and know how you feel..

I walked away from a well paid job to go tyre fitting...
I wasnt enjoying my job with the resposibilty out waying the wages, and dreaded going to work..

Evenatually i walked out and went tyre fitting, this was only a stop gap, lasted 8 years thou and ended up managing a fastfit centre.

have move on from that now, but it was the best thing I ever did...

you work to live, not live to work.

chin up mate. it will sort its self out

ashg - 16/3/12 at 06:42 PM

been there done that. no doubt you will end up better off in the end. i got made redundant a few years ago felt the same as you but eventually found a job that was even better than the one i had. have walked out of a couple of jobs in the past too, only to find better ones.

its not all doom and gloom these days like people say. if you are bright and willing to work there are plenty of jobs out there. my company is looking for loads of people but struggles to find ideal candidates we have about 25 positions advertised at the moment for all sorts of people.

http://www.elekta.com/company/career-center.html

scootz - 16/3/12 at 06:51 PM

Sorry to hear that! You'll bounce back though and move on to happier times!

perksy - 16/3/12 at 07:09 PM

Sometimes these things just happen (been there and got the Tee shirt)

Keep your chin up and i'm sure things will all work out for the best

You said yourself you weren't happy, so its not like you've lost a job you loved and really enjoyed

Now is the chance to move on...

a few Beers first at the weekend though

All the best

imp paul - 16/3/12 at 07:11 PM

its not nice or easy to do but you seem brave keep your chin up and good luck with what you do next im sure it was the right thing to do it will come good for you in the long run pal

all the best
paul

mookaloid - 16/3/12 at 07:49 PM

this isn't the start of something bad - this is an opportunity to make something good happen.

This is the start of the rest of your life which will be happy from now on.

It's important to look forward, make plans and do what you want to do. What ever you do, you have to make it happen - it won't just come to you, you have to get busy and go get it.

think positive.

good luck!

Cheers

Mooky

macc man - 16/3/12 at 08:02 PM

I gave up a well paid job to go self employed 9 yars ago. Had many a sleepless night over it, but resigned myself to making it on my own. Its never easy to change direction but you can have good days as well as bad. Look to the future and make every day count. We should work to live not live to work. Look at your skills and decide what you want to do to give you some job satisfaction. It can be worth more than money. Best of luck.

[Edited on 16/3/12 by macc man]

ross05 - 16/3/12 at 08:02 PM

my wife and I did the same thing 10years ago,just look at it as a new start.We moved to Spain and have never looked back and have a great life now with no stress.

good luck

cheers Russ

Jaybeee - 16/3/12 at 08:12 PM

As the old advert used to say "Its Good to Talk"!

mrwibble - 16/3/12 at 08:40 PM

Man up dude! have a beer and shag the wife!

nick205 - 16/3/12 at 08:46 PM

Really feel for you in this situation, but in many respects good on you for ditching it. One thing I learnt from an old boss (and still friend) was that if either employer or employee have had enough it's best to call it quits.

That's easy to stand by in good times, but in the current times it's not so easy. No idea what you do, but the fact that you have 2 avenues lined up already bodes well - it really is who you know not what you know IMHO.

When my employer (of 14 yrs) went bust last July I was blown away by 3 offers of employment from customers and suppliers (no interviews required). As it happens the re-born post administration company was the best option for me, but it gave me a real boost!

Sincerely wish you all the best and hope it works out well for you - it may be the bes decision you've made.

lsdweb - 16/3/12 at 09:15 PM

AndyW

You'll look back in years to come and see it as a good day :-)

Wyn

big_wasa - 16/3/12 at 09:27 PM

Been there aswell, most stressfull few weeks of my life. I am sure it will all work out. I didnt plan on doing my current job but thats life.

steve m - 16/3/12 at 09:34 PM

I wish i had the guts to do what you have done, but sadly im a wimp!

TAZZMAXX - 16/3/12 at 09:36 PM

Andy,

You never know, the bosses may not be overly happy about what's happened and call you in to talk about it on Monday. The question you have to ask yourself is whether you could go back or would go back. Maybe the weekend will give you time to reflect.

I packed in a well paid job over 7 years ago to start my own business and it was all done on the strength of having only 2 weeks work. I've never looked back to be honest, despite suffering the effects of the recession for the last two or three years. As others have said, this could be the start of something new for you.

It may seem like when you split up with a girlfriend and your mum told you there were plenty more fish in the sea. You couldn't see it at the time but afterwards you knew that things had worked out OK. This will be the same for you now. By the way, how old are you?

There must be a lot of people who are dissatisfied with their jobs at the moment but you obviously felt strongly enough to do something about it. Good luck.

Gareth

Daddylonglegs - 16/3/12 at 09:47 PM

I'm with SteveM, I haven't been happy for a long time doing what I do, mainly due to way too much global travel and too many 'managers' effin' up the game! I have thought about quitting for a while now, but it's the thought of shooting myself in the foot that scares me, especially in the present climate. But as has already been said, once the jump has been made and time moves on, you may look back on the decision as only the right one.

Good luck whichever way it goes, and I'm sure that things happen for a damn good reason

And BTW, you said about a grown man blubbing over the internet etc. well this aint the internet mate, this is LCB and no one will judge you here

Keep us all posted matey

John

Xtreme Kermit - 16/3/12 at 09:49 PM

Wish I had the balls.

Good luck with where life takes you next.

woodster - 16/3/12 at 10:10 PM

I'm sure in 6 months time everything will have worked out for the best and you'll look back at this thread and wonder what you were worrying about .....good luck fella, chin up and stay positive ..... Keep us posted

Irony - 16/3/12 at 10:46 PM

I have found that good smart hard working people always seem to make a success in the end. It seems bad now but time and hard work will see you right again soon enough

D Beddows - 16/3/12 at 10:52 PM

Yeah, been there done that too :-( nearly ended up decking the Design 'Manager' one day but decided quitting was a better long term option. It's a couple of years ago now (and I'll be honest it took me a while to get another job) BUT I've never regretted it for a second and I have a job I enjoy getting up for in a morning again now!

wilkingj - 17/3/12 at 12:31 AM

Well I was institutionalised in the Co where I worked. Been there for 41 years. I still walked out. I dont have much money these days, but I feel SO MUCH better. I actually enjoyed my job, but not when you end up doing three peoples work as they got rid of my two oppo's in the previous 18 months. I couldnt and wouldnt do three peoples work for one peoples pay. I threatened to leave, they didnt believe me, so I left.

Its the best thing I ever did, even though I dont have much cash to play with these days.

Dont worry, if you are any good at all, something will come along. There are jobs out there, something will come along that suits you.
Being stressed out and doing something you hate (in my case a triple workload), is soul destroying, and wont do your health any good in the long run. Take this as a step in the right direction to something better. It might not come imediately, but it will come.

Good luck mate.

PS... DONT trash the car... you will finish it eventually.

RK - 17/3/12 at 01:21 AM

Hang in, you'll recover. Been there, done exactly what you did - have been canned more than once I hate to say. Things turn out OK though.

AndyW - 17/3/12 at 07:06 AM

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all the positive replies. Im trying to keep my chin up. Didnt eat anything yesterday as felt so sick and lost. Went to be about 8pm. Laid awake for what seems like all night. Up now and still feel like Ive been kicked in the stomache.

But this is a new day. I have some options next week, and I will come out of this both a better person and happier. Although the thought of my mortgage at the end of the month is a tad worrying.

Some one asked how old I was, 39 until April then I hit 40!!

I will keep you posted how I get on and thanks again for so many positive replies......

Andy

Ninehigh - 17/3/12 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Good luck whichever way it goes, and I'm sure that things happen for a damn good reason

And BTW, you said about a grown man blubbing over the internet etc. well this aint the internet mate, this is LCB and no one will judge you here

Keep us all posted matey

John

Exactly, not enough men talk about stuff like this..

Dangle_kt - 17/3/12 at 10:03 AM

As has been said, it will all work out in the end, its very hard to keep good hard working people down. I'm sure you will get your hands on a new job soon.

The only thing I'd say, is there no way things can be undone? Sometimes the "manly" thing is to refuse to apologise - however eating a bit of humble pie and getting your job must still be an option?

I'm only saying as in my opinion its much easier to get a new job when you already have one, just going in taking the wage for a couple of months whilst you focus hard on sorting a new job out, work at 75% for a few weeks - whats the worst that he can do? Put you on a disciplinary? Doesn't matter if you are leaving!

Just an idea - to offer a different view, sometimes positions aren't as entrenched as they seem.

wilkingj - 17/3/12 at 11:01 AM

Hmmm.... Mortgage eh?

TELL THEM NOW!
Talk to the company as soon as you can. Tell them you are out of work, and what you are doing about it. They can be surprisingly helpful.
They dont want to lose a good customer, or money for that matter. Talk to them, dont ignore it.

SJL - 17/3/12 at 07:07 PM

I told a previous boss to drive his job up his ar*e once, got my coat and walked whilst he stood there telling me I couldn't do that he then got a few more choice expletives from me. Best day of my life

It went downhill a few years after that when I stayed in a job I didn't enjoy (at a BMW dealer) should have walked on the first day but didn't due to financial pressures. Stuck it for a year then handed my notice in without a job to go to! Two weeks later I was employed by the world biggest car manufacturer.

It has been said by many of the previous posters you will find work and it sounds like you have a few options already.

I made a promise to myself after the BMW experience that I would never stay in a job I wasn't happy doing and I stand by that. You spend a large amount of time at work if you aren't happy then don't put up with it they need you more than you need them

AndyW - 18/3/12 at 11:23 AM

Again, thanks for the replies.

Cant say this week end has been easy, sick with worry etc. I will be making a few hundred calls tomorrow to try and get something.

If anyone in locost world has anything to offer, bearing in mind Im based in Bedfordshire, I would love to hear from you. Even if its temporary.

U2U me if you may be able to help.

Hopefully I will have a positive week ahead, and look forward to posting some good news.

Anyways, have a good rest of the weekend and thanks agin for the support.

Andy

PS I started the kit up yesterday, smiled briefly, stopped the engine, locked up the garage.

woodster - 18/3/12 at 12:04 PM

I wonder if a ' LOOKING FOR A JOB' section on this forum would be a good idea? you could put a short C.V on and what kind of job you were looking for .. the right person seeing it and word of mouth may get a result ...... just an idea .. One for Chris W

David Jenkins - 18/3/12 at 12:49 PM

Andy,

I know how you feel - I worked for about 4 years in a decent company but the commuting got me down, plus the company was turning to the bad. In the end I found a job just a few miles away from home - and after a couple of days I realised that they were an absolutely useless company and that I would get nothing but grief for the rest of my working life... so I spoke to the CEO and left after 2 weeks. Not a good feeling.

A few random thoughts...

The thing to remember is that finding a new job is a job in itself... plan to spend at least half of every working day looking for a new job, Monday to Friday. When I left BT they offered a job-finders' course, which was actually very useful - loads of info on how to write a CV, how to conduct yourself during an interview, and so on. There were 20 people on my course - 18 whined about how they'd never find another job, but me and one other looked at each other and said "Nah! We're out to find a job!" - and the presenter then aimed the rest of the course straight at us two.

Also expect to get at least a 99% rejection rate, and treat it as the normal state (i.e. don't get depressed about it) - when my son was job-hunting after leaving uni he wrote hundreds of letters, and only got one interview. Even then, he didn't get the job he went for, but they rang him a week later and offered another! He's been there more than 10 years now, and making good progress.

When I was in your shoes I eventually went to the local Job Centre, mostly to get my NI contribution paid (the Job Seekers' Allowance wasn't a big concern). When I walked in for my initial interview I got the usual "Oh, another waster" reception - until I opened up by "Job Finding" folder and talked about how I was looking for work. The change in their attitude was impressive! Apart from paying my NI they also gave support - for example, they paid for a railway ticket so that I could get to an interview. So don't discount the job centre, even if most of their customers are the sort of people who you wouldn't want to make sudden movements nearby... (Why do you need bouncers at a job centre?!)

I sense that you have the right attitude - you're not whingeing and crying that the world owes you a living - so if you can put that attitude forward to prospective employers then you should be OK.

Good luck!
David

Ninehigh - 18/3/12 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
I wonder if a ' LOOKING FOR A JOB' section on this forum would be a good idea? you could put a short C.V on and what kind of job you were looking for .. the right person seeing it and word of mouth may get a result ...... just an idea .. One for Chris W

That sounds like an awesome idea

woodster - 19/3/12 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by woodster

That sounds like an awesome idea

Thank you ... it just needs someone to put it to Chris, I think quite a few people on here are in engineering and I.T ... it would be nice to know what jobs people do and what they would like to do in the future ... the talent, skills and general knowledge of the people posting on here is like no other forum

D Beddows - 19/3/12 at 09:48 AM

As David Jenkins has said, don't dismiss the Job Centre. If you go in with the right attitude you'll find they're quite often pretty helpful, mostly I guess because it makes a pleasant change for them to talk to someone with a brain who actually wants to get a job!

Also don't dismiss the Job Centre jobfinder website, when I was looking for a Construction/Architecture job about 2/3rds of all the interviews I got for decent jobs were found on there as indeed was my current job - it's not all glass collector/care assistant/security type vacancies (nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw before anyone starts!)

edsco - 19/3/12 at 10:09 AM

I totally agree with 'Mookaloid' and various others on the thread. This could be that opportunity of a life time just waiting to be seized. I was made redundant 2 years ago but to be honest it was the best possible thing to have happened to me in a long time. Had time to reflect and decide and take control of where i wanted my career to start progressing towards and started making inroads to making it happen, rather than just drifting along, like i was doing.

The key now is to try put bad experiences behind you. Leave all the bitterness of past jobs behind, coz if you don't it will only reflect in your personality when it comes to future interviews. Utilise the time you have now and look at everything as a potential opportunity and challenge. Try not to be daunted by opportunity thinking its beyond you. Everyone had to work to where they got after all and it comes with determination, enthusiasm and 'stickability'.

Dont be dis-heartened by the whole work place thing because of a bad experience. Its about turning the situation around in your favour. Confidence, rising above it and all that good stuff. Harness these, get your CV out there and companies will be knocking at your door before long.

You'll see.....